Audi Allroad: they any good??

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am looking to pick up a Audi Allroad 00-02. Can get them about 4-7k in my area. I know brand new they were 40k.

so what do you guys think of them??

I would be inclined to go for a Legacy Outback or Volvo XC70.

The Audi Allroad doesn't have the best reputation in the UK. Though most of the UK ones are diesel.

The reliability of Audi and VW products really hasn't been as good as the PR suggests for many years.

An Outback would certainly be my first choice.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
i am looking to pick up a Audi Allroad 00-02. Can get them about 4-7k in my area. I know brand new they were 40k.

so what do you guys think of them??

In 2001 when I was looking at AWD CUV's, the AllRoad was Consumer Reports Top Scoring Vehicle in it's catigory(2nd-BMW X5) even above the 3rd place Lexus RX-300 and 4th place Acura MDX.

But, the RX and MDX were the RECOMENDED vehicles according to CR based on Reliability(frequency of Repairs). I bought the RX and still have it today!

The Audi's tend to have technology a bit to clever for what was actually produced and the cost of repairing them can be extreme.

The Subaru's of that age were much more basic but worked. The Subaru's are not that inexpensive to repair when they go wrong but usually less problems than the Audi's. In the UK.

eddie

Make sure it has a maintenance history as someone said before. Two things to watch out for on that era would be the torque converter and the air ride suspension. If those are in good shape you are set.

Sure, they are complicated, but they are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Shoot, I had more trouble with my Subaru Forester than I have had with my A6.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Get the bill for repairs and it becomes an AoUchI.

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

If I'm not mistaken, that's the Audi that you pretty much have to remove the front clip to do the timing belt.

Then there's the air suspension. Assuming that the air compressor and control module works, you're still in for about $300 apiece on the struts.

The interior displays usually have dead segments rendering them useless.

Much is made about the logic and serviceability of German cars. Audi is the exception. You will find a panel that is secured with 4 Torx 20 fasteners and 2 Torx 25 fasteners covering another panel that has completely different obscure fasteners. And all that is to access something that could have been done on an Infiniti or Lexus with a phillips screwdriver.

It's an übercool car for function and a nightmare to keep going.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

The Audi Allroad doesn't have the best reputation in the UK. Though most of the UK ones are diesel.

The reliability of Audi and VW products really hasn't been as good as the PR suggests for many years.

Already have an 99 outback. looking for something more refined and classy.

Originally Posted By: EddieCairns
The Audi's tend to have technology a bit to clever for what was actually produced and the cost of repairing them can be extreme.

The Subaru's of that age were much more basic but worked. The Subaru's are not that inexpensive to repair when they go wrong but usually less problems than the Audi's. In the UK.

eddie

Exactly as i believed.

Hundreds of Scottish farmers can't be wrong.

Mate had an Audi A4 2.0t Quattro. Pretty rare i think it was a 99. Gave him endless headaches till it ended upside downin a ditch between Peterhead and Aberdeen.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
Originally Posted By: bigjl

Already have an 99 outback. looking for something more refined and classy.

Go for the 2004 onwards Outback.

Much better than your current model.

I has a 2004 Legacy auto saloon from new till it was stolen in 2008. Best car i have ever owned.

If fuel consumption wasn't an issue and they had brought out the auto diesel earlier i would have jumped at one

They are a much more refined car than previous generations of Subaru.

And not as ugly as the more recent incarnations.

My best friend bought an early Allroad, with the 2.7 V6.
I warned him not to buy it without properly researching it, but he didn't listen to me.

So, in just a couple months of ownership, he had to replace the torque convertor (common issue), air suspension (common issue), and I pulled off one of the EGR valves, and manually cleaned it in order to get rid of the check engine light that was intermittent.

We also replaced the timing belt kit, because he bought it at a cheapo car lot, and we had no clue if it had been replaced or not. Turns out it was replaced recently (within 1k miles) with exactly the same kit we bought.

Changing the timing belt kit was actually quite easy, and yes, you do have to pull the entire nose clip off, but, as long as you followed the service manual instructions step by step, it was easy.

He's my best friend, but he dumped money into it that he shouldn't have, and he didn't research the car before buying it. I warned him before buying it, during the test drive, and all the way up to the point when he traded it in on a brand new CX-7.

He's been much happier since he bought the CX-7.

BC.

Actually, the C5 allroad was only made from MY 2001-2005. 01-03 only had the 2.7 turbo V6 available, but the 04-05 also was available with the 4.2 V8.

The 2.7t is a great engine, although a little more maintenance intensive than say a Honda or Toyota. If you can, get the 6-speed manual version and you won't have to worry about the torque converter problems. The converter was updated in the 04 model year and later, but there have been some early 04 models that had problems.

The air suspension is what makes it an allroad and not just an A6 avant. If you don't want the problems inheriant with an air suspension, there are aftermarket coilover conversion kits to eliminate them.

Here's some good info on the allroad from what I'd consider the experts:

http://wiki.quattroworld.com/index.php/Allroad.C5

It's a bit dated and hasn't been kept updated, but it's all the basisc you'll need to know. If I'd have known about the allroad when I bought my A6, I'd have looked for an allroad instead.

I've always liked them, but also read of their poor reliability. I'd stay away. It will be a money pit -- being that old.

They have the potential of being really costly to keep up. Things like twin turbos that fail, air suspension , transmission failures etc. if a $4000 repair kitty is easy for you to fund at purchase go for it.

Yeah, failed turbo = pull engine. Probably $3k in turbos and incidental parts if you change them DIY, and $7k+ if you go to the shops I've talked to.

I have a 2001 A6 2.7T, daily driver but I do have a backup vehicle (a Honda) in case something needs fixing. It hasn't been bad, though, even at 186k miles.

Last edited:
The Audi's of that era seem to be hit or miss. We had a late 90's A8 that was perfect and an 04 A4 that we couldn't keep on the road. My mom had an almost identical A8 that was horribly unreliable and my boss had an RS6 that was mostly reliable.

All these were bought new by us. I can't recommend one, but they drive great and are very nice. If you get a good one, they can go forever. If not, they will nickel and dime you to death while they stain your driveway with oil. I don't remember which years had the peeling interior, I know our '04, most of the buttons and switches were replaced under warranty due to the rubbery coating wearing off.

Coming from someone who likes German cars, Audi's are great cars to lease under a full bumper to bumper factory warranty.

Generally they are pretty difficult to work on, and don't age well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back