Which van would you buy

FWIW @wheelman we are on our 3rd Chrysler minivan in 22 years. We have put a few hundred thousand on the first 2 and the current one is closing in 100k. I would not hesitate to buy another one in a heartbeat. My wife loves her vans, so it won't be changing anytime soon. We've had the 3.3L, 3.8L and the 3.6L.

first was a 1998 we drove from 2001 to 2009 (~220K miles when transmission died due to towing with this van, well known tranny issue)
second was a 2006 we drove from 2009 until 2017 (~180K when engine became unreliable due to plugged catalytic converter, burned oil on 5w20)
third is 2014 we drove from 2017 until current (no current issues and is my wife's DD)

Just my $0.02

FWIW @wheelman we are on our 3rd Chrysler minivan in 22 years. We have put a few hundred thousand on the first 2 and the current one is closing in 100k. I would not hesitate to buy another one in a heartbeat. My wife loves her vans, so it won't be changing anytime soon. We've had the 3.3L, 3.8L and the 3.6L.

first was a 1998 we drove from 2001 to 2009 (~220K miles when transmission died due to towing with this van, well known tranny issue)
second was a 2006 we drove from 2009 until 2017 (~180K when engine became unreliable due to plugged catalytic converter, burned oil on 5w20)
third is 2014 we drove from 2017 until current (no current issues and is my wife's DD)

Just my $0.02
Keeping with your pattern looks like the current one goes away in 2025 and will be replaced by a 2022.

Any 2007-2020 Sienna or 2014-2021 Grand Caravan if you are on a budget.

Had a 2012 Chrysler T&C. In 120K KM did lots of brake jobs, and the motor for one of the sliding doors crapped out. Also changed out the struts on the rear hatch.

The newer vans 2013 and up went to bigger wheels and bigger brakes, so the brakes last longer.

My cousin had a 2012 Grand Caravan and put over 300K KM on it. Brakes, tires and oil changes. Cylinder head was replaced under a recall. He had to change out a leaking oil filter canister assembly. That van owed him nothing. Previous vehicle he had an Odyssey. Put a transmission in that one. Other than that it was a solid vehicle and he put almost 300K KM on it too.

Not the sexiest vehicles out there, for the right price I wouldn't hesitate to buy another T&C / Grand Caravan.

Reactions: JTK
I'm pretty happy with my 2015 grand caravan. It hauls everything I throw at it with no problems and is very comfortable on long family trips.

It has not been perfect though, I recently replaced the lower control arms as the bushings were torn and a blend door control actuator as it started to make rattling sounds. A bit early at around 80k miles, but both jobs were easy to DIY and inexpensive.

I'm perfectly satisfied thus far.

Well we are between a 15 sienna with 43,000 miles and a 16 Odyssey with 62,000 the Honda is better equipped. Ex-l vs the sienna Le trim. The sienna is 2k more . Both are in great shape!

I’ve got 3 co-workers with problems with odysseys, one of which I spent time on and between parts cost and availability, sold it. Recent large Hondas I might be inclined to avoid. (I’d buy and drive any recent civic any day of the week).

I’ve had great value from the chrysler vans. Yes, the general quality is not as high, but the things that counted - engine, transmission, basic functions, all worked well for us. Sure, as they aged, so many of the luxury features started to get glitchy, but when you are carting all the kids around, it really doesn’t matter. The vans aged well with the use we gave them, and we traded both fully running and interstate ready. I also found Chrysler vans to have an edge in the power and mpg department. Excellent utility.

id also consider some of the utility van with seats options….

I’ve got 3 co-workers with problems with odysseys, one of which I spent time on and between parts cost and availability, sold it. Recent large Hondas I might be inclined to avoid. (I’d buy and drive any recent civic any day of the week).

I’ve had great value from the chrysler vans. Yes, the general quality is not as high, but the things that counted - engine, transmission, basic functions, all worked well for us. Sure, as they aged, so many of the luxury features started to get glitchy, but when you are carting all the kids around, it really doesn’t matter. The vans aged well with the use we gave them, and we traded both fully running and interstate ready. I also found Chrysler vans to have an edge in the power and mpg department. Excellent utility.

id also consider some of the utility van with seats options….
What kind of issues with the Odyssey?

EGR, lumpy shifting, and the worse was a brake pedal which would sink to the floor twice per month. I’m convinced it was the abs unit. Previous years had a tsb for the symptom but honda wouldn’t fix it. $1500 part on 6 month back order and they couldnt guarantee the fix. I looked at it several times and she took it to the dealer as directed every time it happened. That was the one van I knew the best. The others I don’t know the details but both owners were becoming discouraged and were talking about selling.

Last edited:
Well we are between a 15 sienna with 43,000 miles and a 16 Odyssey with 62,000 the Honda is better equipped. Ex-l vs the sienna Le trim. The sienna is 2k more . Both are in great shape!
Buy the Sienna. More reliable in the long run. Lower cost of ownership. You will makeup the $2k difference very quickly.
True stories from personal experiences...
I purchased a 2005 Sienna new. I never had to use the warranty. It now has 190k miles on it and it still runs like a top. Outside of maintenance items (batteries, brakes, tires, fluids, filters, belts, hoses, etc) I have spent a grand total of $180 on the van in repairs since it was new. That's right, only $180 in parts (I fix things myself). I had to replace a shift cable grommet, a right side steering rack boot, and both headlamp assemblies. The A/C has required ZERO repairs or freon, except that I am now going to have to replace a rear A/C mode door motor soon. It only uses about 1/2 quart of oil between changes. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it on a 4k trip tomorrow.

The Odyssey can get expensive as things go.
What kind of issues with the Odyssey?
My best friend purchased a 2006 Odyssey new. He had to show me that his choice was better. He has 180k miles on it now. For the first 70k miles it was flawless, then the troubles started. First an A/C compressor, then motor mounts. These are common problems on the Odyssey. After about 110k miles things really started to go wrong... another A/C compressor, blower motor, HVAC electronic controller, HVAC mode and blend door motors, power steering pump, master cylinder, power brake booster, alternator, another set of motor mounts, stereo system, ignition switch, both power sliding door motor mechanisms (one of them twice), a power window regulator, radiator, wheel bearing hubs, axle shafts, struts, lower control arms, and several other items (he hasn't told me about ALL of his problems, more things keep spilling out every time I talk to him). The van has cost him a small fortune in the last 70k miles. After my ribbing he has ordered a new Toyota Highlander Hybrid AWD and has been waiting for it for awhile now. They offered him $1500 for the Odyssey. Now he is facing yet another A/C compressor replacement (A/C is something he can't live without since he lives in Phoenix), it also needs motor mounts again, and his tires are nearly worn-out. He is afraid that his van won't make it until he gets the Highlander. Fortunately he hasn't had any mechanical engine or transmission problems, but by 2006 Honda had solved most of the Odyssey's transmission problems, and his van predates the VCM system and the problems it causes.

IIRC we bought our 2014 odyssey ex for around 25k in 2015 as a “floor model” in a display.

Frankly, reign your kids in. Ours looks like new with three kids ranging from 1.5 to 10. Then get something nicer. We would have bought the caravan/T&C had we not gotten a good deal on an odyssey. Sienna and Kia were out for us based upon quality. Glad we didn’t get a sienna based upon the tribulations of friends who bought one about 6 months later.

I’d go down in options and buy new. No idea if the used rental market is decent. No way I’d buy from a car max type place. We did better on our No miles ex than Carmax wanted to sell a 40k mile LX for even with me offering to buy a second car from them. That no haggling garbage is for feminized males and idiots who are afraid to make an issue on price.

Last edited:
Based upon your two finalist, the easy choice is the Toyota Sienna. You will save the $2000 difference in repairs before either minivan reaches 100,000 miles. And this is coming from a self-professed Honda fanboy!

Buy the Sienna. More reliable in the long run. Lower cost of ownership. You will makeup the $2k difference very quickly.
True stories from personal experiences...
I purchased a 2005 Sienna new. I never had to use the warranty. It now has 190k miles on it and it still runs like a top. Outside of maintenance items (batteries, brakes, tires, fluids, filters, belts, hoses, etc) I have spent a grand total of $180 on the van in repairs since it was new. That's right, only $180 in parts (I fix things myself). I had to replace a shift cable grommet, a right side steering rack boot, and both headlamp assemblies. The A/C has required ZERO repairs or freon, except that I am now going to have to replace a rear A/C mode door motor soon. It only uses about 1/2 quart of oil between changes. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it on a 4k trip tomorrow.

My best friend purchased a 2006 Odyssey new. He had to show me that his choice was better. He has 180k miles on it now. For the first 70k miles it was flawless, then the troubles started. First an A/C compressor, then motor mounts. These are common problems on the Odyssey. After about 110k miles things really started to go wrong... another A/C compressor, blower motor, HVAC electronic controller, HVAC mode and blend door motors, power steering pump, master cylinder, power brake booster, alternator, another set of motor mounts, stereo system, ignition switch, both power sliding door motor mechanisms (one of them twice), a power window regulator, radiator, wheel bearing hubs, axle shafts, struts, lower control arms, and several other items (he hasn't told me about ALL of his problems, more things keep spilling out every time I talk to him). The van has cost him a small fortune in the last 70k miles. After my ribbing he has ordered a new Toyota Highlander Hybrid AWD and has been waiting for it for awhile now. They offered him $1500 for the Odyssey. Now he is facing yet another A/C compressor replacement (A/C is something he can't live without since he lives in Phoenix), it also needs motor mounts again, and his tires are nearly worn-out. He is afraid that his van won't make it until he gets the Highlander. Fortunately he hasn't had any mechanical engine or transmission problems, but by 2006 Honda had solved most of the Odyssey's transmission problems, and his van predates the VCM system and the problems it causes.
Interesting since our friends Sienna that was bought very close to when we got our odyssey has been nothing but trouble. I guess I didn’t get the memo as ours rolled past 90k. I was just thinking how nicely ours went on NYC roads leaving JFK last night.

VCM should be disabled, sure. But I’d trade that for the leaks, broken parts, poor quality of the Sienna. My MILs 2017 highlander is no better. Toyota has sure gone down the tubes. And this is coming from someone who thought they would have a Toyota van because of the great experience growing up with a Previa.

IIRC we bought our 2014 odyssey ex for around 25k in 2015 as a “floor model” in a display.

Frankly, reign your kids in. Ours looks like new with three kids ranging from 1.5 to 10. Then get something nicer. We would have bought the caravan/T&C had we not gotten a good deal on an odyssey. Sienna and Kia were out for us based upon quality. Glad we didn’t get a sienna based upon the tribulations of friends who bought one about 6 months later.

I’d go down in options and buy new. No idea if the used rental market is decent. No way I’d buy from a car max type place. We did better on our No miles ex than Carnac wanted to sell a 40k mile LX for even with me offering to buy a second car from them. That no haggling garbage is for feminized males and idiots who are afraid to make an issue on price.
We have 5 kids. Ranging from 13 to 10 months.... Stinky sports playing teenager and babies that throw thing yeah I'll make sure to let the 10 month old know she needs to mind her manners 🙄 everyone else is pretty well behaved but we are always on the run. We practically live in the van.
I forgot about the vcm until it was mentioned above on the Odyssey that nonsense is a big turn off.

We have 5 kids. Ranging from 13 to 10 months.... Stinky sports playing teenager and babies that throw thing yeah I'll make sure to let the 10 month old know she needs to mind her manners 🙄 everyone else is pretty well behaved but we are always on the run. We practically live in the van.
I forgot about the vcm until it was mentioned above on the Odyssey that nonsense is a big turn off.
I don’t know. We have three kids and no issues.

VCM disable is so easy it’s laughable.

Very simple. Don’t eat garbage in the car and exercise the slightest bit of care and it will be ok. Or are my kids magical? (Lol)

Back