Attracted by Ester

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the basis that I would like an oil with some ester content due to attraction.

What would the best oil blend base stock and additive package be for engines ranging from High rev 4 pot to V8 for the following uses

Pure Race
Race and Road
Fast Road
General Road

I'm not a chemist so looking for key items of package and happy to accept the view of Molakule re esters.

In addition with Classic cars fed on a diet of 20W/50 Mineral oil would it be safe to use Auto rx and move onto an ester oil.

Also Castrol magnatec Start Up has been released in US and has been freely available in UK and views on this oil would be appreciated.

You probally could do a search and find most answers faster than they could be typed.
wink.gif

I know Start Up has esters, but I wonder what other oils have esters. (Maxlife supposedly had esters mixed in at one time, but now I understand it is PAO in Maxlife.) It would be interesting to see a list of oils that include an ester component and especially the approximate percentage of esters. Anybody know? Does Amsoil have any oils with esters? Schaeffers?

This is info I'm after and what mix should be best

"It would be interesting to see a list of oils that include an ester component and especially the approximate percentage of esters."

Audi I was hoping the Gurus on this site could sum up the position.

This is very interesting from Silkolene
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=346896

As I understand position PAOs have poor additive solvency so Esters are used as the carrier mechanism, and it is the esters that provide the detergency effect in modern synthetis as opposed to the detergency additives in minerals.

Mobil 1 has a high film strength without the fluid friction, hence the proven lower fuel consumption but good wear control, but is there sufficient esters?

I currently use this in the Rover V8
http://www.millersoils.net/index2.html

Unfortunately, a good quality oil is a compromise of a number of factors and not just about wear control but what are the key factors in trying to choose right oil for different situations?

Quite a thread there at the Subaru forum .

They are quite the thick oil group . 10w-50 and 60's .

Ester is a good thing for the many reasons stated .

They are nothing without the proper additives to to round out the formulation though to include internal engine protection from corrosion while setting in storage .

The Sabaru site has a outspoken chemist named Simon. Saying the US can't get good VII for there oils. It is impossible to make a good 5w-40, or even 10w-40, using only mineral oil. The base oil is so thin, it just evaporates away at the high temperatures found in a powerful engine that is being used seriously.Perhaps we need UK oil since he isn't fond of Redline either.
shocked.gif

This is a transcript of the article written by John Rowland (Chief R&D Chemist for Silkolene) with 40 years experience and answers to any questions raised which included comments on US market.

I found a case where someone ran 1 qt Redline with 3.5 qt Mobil 1 and the UOA looks quite nice:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001621#000000

I searched and found a later post where they ran straight Redline in the same vehicle and given consideration of the newness of the engine on the mixture, it appeared the Redline M1 mix maybe was a little better than the straight Redline. Intersting!

I just called Castrol. They would not tell me the proportion of ester in Start Up. I told them I did not want to pay $3 a quart unless I had some idea what I am getting.

I noted that with esters it must be a blend and they responded that it is not a blend, but a conventional oil. Hmmmm, what is the amount of synth reqd to call it a blend. Seems there must not be much ester in this stuff. Which would be bad pricewise, but good in that I am thinking a small amount of Redline (
smile.gif
) added to any oil might give a "Start Up" effect. (Dave at Redline said it should not cause any problems as their oil is compatable.)

What Castrol did say was that (obviously apart from the esters which are apparently being treated as an additive, not part of the base oil) Start Up is an hydro isomerized base stock. Hmmm, Group II I presume.

Anyway, might be worth it for around $2 to $2.35 or so.

I have not read Castrols marketing as to if the word Ester is used or not but what if terminology in terms of surfactants were used like Nonionoc vs Anionic .

Could this be applied to that oil and the mystery solved ?

Press release

http://www.castercomm.com/press.cfm?id=79

Because the rate of engine wear is higher during the critical start up period, Castrol GTX Start Up™ is formulated to provide start up protection. The polarized ester molecules in Castrol GTX Start Up™ cling to an engine's metal surfaces to provide advanced anti-wear protection. This oil is not designed just for winter or cold weather starts, but for every single time a car is started

In the UK its called Magnatec (A3B3) and has been available for a number of years at a price similar to Castrol GTX

quote:

Originally posted by MGBV8:
In the UK its called Magnatec (A3B3) and has been available for a number of years at a price similar to Castrol GTX

Does anybody know the percent ester in Magnetec? Since Magnetec is European there probably is not a MSDS to look it up. BTW, the MSDS on Start Up is supposed to be avail at the end of Sept, but not on the web site.

TallPaul,

In comparison with UK market converted to US gallon

a synth will cost $45-$50 (inc Redline, Amsoil
Magnatec $30
Dino $15

However the popular oils are normally at a discount

Mobil 1/ Castrol RS $35
Magnatec $20
Dino $10

Thanks MGBV8 and Losiho. Between the several links I got into the MSDS search site, but could not get any products to come up. I'll try again tomorrow.

EDIT:
Ok finally got to Magnatec. Put Castrol for the search, Manufacturer for the Criteria. You will get 73 pages. Magnatec is on page 48. Unfortunately all they say for the composition is "Ingredients determined not to be hazardous" 100%.

Baaaaah! They can have their oil if they are going to be that tight about it. I'll make my own Magnatec/Start Up! A little dash of Redline goes a long way.
smile.gif

[ August 31, 2004, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

Re the info from MGB, there is a new GTX Magnatec 5w-40, which is claimed to be fully synthetic, according to the product information sheet received this week from Castrol. Uses exactly same description of "unique synthetic ester". but presumably this is at least API Group III plus Group V esters as it is described as "Fully synthetic". Other descriptions of GTX appear to be of a dino oil, with some unknown ester content, as they don't mention the base oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back