Attempting to swap the Jetta...

Sounds like you were able to make a deal. If you got over KBB for the old Jetta, it just shows that ultimately the paint blemish did not "substantially impair" the value of the car.

Sounds like you were able to make a deal. If you got over KBB for the old Jetta, it just shows that ultimately the paint blemish did not "substantially impair" the value of the car.
Absolutely. It was never about value to is though.

I hope you drive for 500,000 miles and never, ever, get a paint chip from a small rock or parking lot ding from someone opening a door, or it will drive you completely mad. That, or just simply keep your shiney car in your garage forever as a piece of artwork. Glad the drama is over for you.

I hope you drive for 500,000 miles and never, ever, get a paint chip from a small rock or parking lot ding from someone opening a door, or it will drive you completely mad. That, or just simply keep your shiney car in your garage forever as a piece of artwork. Glad the drama is over for you.
You miss the point completely.

He paid for a new car, he wants a car that doesn’t have defects before he even drove it off the lot.

What happens after that is a different thing.

I applaud him for going after what’s his, and not giving up until it was made right.

Glad you got an amicable resolution out of this. One of the reasons the only new cars that I’ve gotten have been leases “paint flaw?..someone else’s problem” Considering the hit in the shorts you take in depreciation on a new vehicle I understand the concern with taking something with a flaw in it.

I was honestly surprised that VW did not simply deny the request. I'm sure VW and the dealer came out ahead, otherwise they would not have made the offer. Since the defect bothered the OP as much as it did, I think he did the right thing. Looks like he ate 3 or 4 monthly payments to me. I'd likely have done the same thing if it bothered me that much.

Back