Attempting to swap the Jetta...

So after purchase, I noticed a small paint defect on the roof of our new Jetta. I called our dealer and they said VW handles these issues with a repaint if needed, but they would start by using a heat gun and "other" means to try and remove the defect. I can clearly see it is under the clear coat and it isn't going anywhere without a repaint.
The thing is, I don't want our brand new car to have a repaint! We know factory paint hold up better than a re-spay, not to mention color matching issues.

So, I am in contact with VW requesting a swap. The RCM is supposed to call me on the 16th, and I have an appt with the local dealer to put their eyes on it to get some official documentation. We will see where this goes!

Frankly I think your chances of getting a different car out of that are slim to none, but I hope I’m wrong.

It certainly would suck to have a new car with major paint work done to it, I’d be
concerned about their “other methods” causing further damage.

Best of luck with it.

I bought a new jetta , saw it come in on the transporter, picked it up the next day, so no time for the dealer to do anything but a pdi.
Got rear ended a few months down the line, what do you know- it had 2 paint jobs on the quarters. Factory spot paints cars all the time

So after purchase, I noticed a small paint defect on the roof of our new Jetta. I called our dealer and they said VW handles these issues with a repaint if needed, but they would start by using a heat gun and "other" means to try and remove the defect. I can clearly see it is under the clear coat and it isn't going anywhere without a repaint.
The thing is, I don't want our brand new car to have a repaint! We know factory paint hold up better than a re-spay, not to mention color matching issues.

So, I am in contact with VW requesting a swap. The RCM is supposed to call me on the 16th, and I have an appt with the local dealer to put their eyes on it to get some official documentation. We will see where this goes!
If it's any consolation I only discovered several years after I bought the car that the right rear fender of my new Solara had been repainted. I could only see it when a body man pointed out a few specs of dust in the paint. We kept that car in the family for +/- 10 years and that paint still looked good - no chipping, peeling, differential fading - nothing. I never found out why that panel had been painted either.

The (excellent) body man I was seeing said he is regularly asked to paint damaged panels on brand new cars. So it is done.

That's why I now ask for a certification that there has been no body work or re-painting done on any new car I buy.

My story is a bit different but still worth sharing: I bought brand new 1.5T civic about 3.5 yrs ago, drove for about 6months or so and decided to do paint correction and ceramic coating (DIY). I have a paint thickness gauge and when going around the car discovered that rear quarter panel as well as rear left passenger door have indeed been resprayed. At which point - unknown since I've had the car picked up right after it arrived to the dealer. I'm assuming either during the transport, or right after (car manufactured in UK and brought to US on the ship), or at the factory. Contacted dealer and really got nothing out of it but a set of floormats (but to be honest I had 0 intentions to have them do anything about, let alone repaint). At the end of the day, it's a car that is meant to be driven daily and not sit in my garage so I can stare at it all day long. Plus, knowing how people in general could care less about someones car parked next to theirs - dings and scratches are inevitable (although it sure does hurt my feelings when I see a dent on the door left by some careless idiot).

Back in 90 we bought a new black cherry Dodge Shadow. I discovered down along the bottom sides what looked like no paint. Just the primer with clear over it. The dealer agreed and the body shop painted it which turned out great and better than factory. Afterwards forgot it was even done.

leave the factory paint..learn to live with it. You're unlikely to get a replacement car and you will be less happy with a repaint than with the factory paint. If you think think the factory spec in the paint bothers you, wait til you get a respray with paint boogers, dust specs, orange peel and overspray..

I spent may years working at dealerships...leave the factory paint alone if at all possible.

1) They can factory match paint so only you can tell-because you know.
2) Little to no effect on resale.
3) You are unlikely to get another new vehicle.

If it were me-I would opt for a repaint on the part in question-a "fix" touchup, etc., would be unacceptable.

I wouldn't fight for a new car.

A panel swap, IMHO, is the best outcome for you but unfortunately almost as unlikely as a new car.

A quality repair will be unnoticeable. If they fix the car and it's worse, then worry about that.

leave the factory paint..learn to live with it. You're unlikely to get a replacement car and you will be less happy with a repaint than with the factory paint. If you think think the factory spec in the paint bothers you, wait til you get a respray with paint boogers, dust specs, orange peel and overspray..

I spent may years working at dealerships...leave the factory paint alone if at all possible.

A respray is out of the question for me. I will leave the defect there before I have it repainted. A replacement is the only option I am interested in. That or just keeping it and living with it. We will see what VW says, it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'd accept a off the line painted factory hood bolted on

Switching the whole car over it seems a bit much IMO, but I get where your coming from

We paid for a new car, not a new car with a repainted roof. So switching it over a factory defect isn't too much IMO. If they deny it, we will go on with life and continue to enjoy the car. It doesn't hurt to ask for a replacement, and I feel we are owed one. This isn't a spec under the paint, it is some sort of oily looking substance under the clear. My concern is paint failure down the line.

Unlikely they will swap the car now with 2000miles on it. If you're worried about it in the long term, ask for an extension on the paint warranty and perhaps some services or accessories as compensation.

Attachments

• IMG_4656.JPG
    IMG_4656.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4658.JPG
    IMG_4658.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 232
Unlikely they will swap the car now with 2000miles on it. If you're worried about it in the long term, ask for an extension on the paint warranty and perhaps some services or accessories as compensation.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will try to remember to ask that if they deny my request.

Unfortunately, you paid for exactly what you got when you took delivery.

The time to find a replacement car was before you left with it.

I'm not sure I agree. Why would VW even offer to do buy backs or replacements if this were the case. Unfortunately we did purchase the vehicle at night, so it was difficult to see such blemishes. Oh well, live and learn!

A respray is out of the question for me. I will leave the defect there before I have it repainted. A replacement is the only option I am interested in. That or just keeping it and living with it. We will see what VW says, it doesn't hurt to ask.

They will SAY NO................

I'm not sure I agree. Why would VW even offer to do buy backs or replacements if this were the case. Unfortunately we did purchase the vehicle at night, so it was difficult to see such blemishes. Oh well, live and learn!
As someone who has worked for VW in both sales and service, buybacks and replacements are not commonplace.

The most likely outcome in your situation is the dealer offering to have the blemish repaired. And that is the correct action to take, in my opinion.

If the blemish was noticed by them, it would have been spot repaired/repainted and you would have been none the wiser when you bought the car.

Back