ATF recommendation for 2021 RX350

The 21 Lexus RX350 was purchased as an off leased with 17K mi and the certified warranty expires in March 2027. The transmission is a U881F AWD 8 speed. I am planning to do a spill/fill which is about 50% of the 8qt capacity. Shall I use Toyota WS or go with Recline D6 which I previously used in my 2014 Toyota Venza V6 6 speed transmission.

D6 is Toyota WS compatible and I never had any problems when the Toyota dealer flushed the 12 qts of D6 in the Venza.

WS or D6?

If you choose a different ATF than what's in your transmission, make sure you do a complete change. Don't mix them, if you want the best result.

I'd use the Toyota fluid while under warranty
I am interested in understanding the claims that using aftermarket transmission fluid can void the manufacturer's warranty. This perspective is frequently discussed on many automotive forums, often without substantial evidence to support it. I would appreciate a detailed explanation of how aftermarket transmission fluid could potentially affect the warranty.

If someone uses Idemitsu brand WS fluid vs Toyota WS fluid, it's doubtful that someone would run into a warranty issue. But if someone substitutes old school Dexron or similar in their late model car and smokes the clutches and the dealership figures that out, the warranty would likely be voided due to incompatible fluids.

From the first Toyota warranty PDF I found online. (I think from a Corolla).
1717572295175.jpg

Last edited:
The 21 Lexus RX350 was purchased as an off leased with 17K mi and the certified warranty expires in March 2027. The transmission is a U881F AWD 8 speed. I am planning to do a spill/fill which is about 50% of the 8qt capacity. Shall I use Toyota WS or go with Recline D6 which I previously used in my 2014 Toyota Venza V6 6 speed transmission.

D6 is Toyota WS compatible and I never had any problems when the Toyota dealer flushed the 12 qts of D6 in the Venza.

WS or D6?
When a warranty is in effect, I would stick with the Toyota fluid and forget the Redline.

I've used Idemitsu TLS-LV with great success. There has been no issue mixing either. There is no way to get all the fluid out doing spill and fills using the plug/tube type drains. I've also used it in the e-cvt types as well. It's fully compatible with Toyota WS. 2011 RX350 and a 2020 Camry Hybrid that I don't own anymore.

If someone uses Idemitsu brand WS fluid vs Toyota WS fluid, it's doubtful that someone would run into a warranty issue. But if someone substitutes old school Dexron or similar in their late model car and smokes the clutches and the dealership figures that out, the warranty would likely be voided due to incompatible fluids.

(note: my reply is not directed at ripcord, but as a general answer to BITOG overall)

It is of benefit to educate oneself on the actual nuances of the law and its application. The topic of warranty, just as with filters, engine oils, and anything else in the USA, needs to be understood as a function of the Magnuson/Moss Warranty Act, as applied by the FTC. (this won't apply to other countries, unless they have a similar law).

The FTC gets its authority from the US Code:

The FTC applies the law in this manner:

In addition to the FTC website info, there are case-law decisions and arbitration prescendents which have been set.

Now, what isn't covered under law or FTC ruling is the fact that while an OE can be forced to cover something, that enforcement often comes after months (perhaps years) of delay. Those delays are not a problem for companies with deep pockets, teams of engineers, and a horde of lawyers. Meanwhile, your (insert product here) is broken and awaiting fixing. If you want the (product) back on the road ASAP, then you have to front the money yourself and hope that your case (litigation/arbitration/mediation) falls in your favor somewhere down the road.

Also, the burden-of-proof topic comes into play here. If you use an aftermarket product which neither the OE nor the aftermarket supplier recommend for the application, then YOU (the user) will probably have to prove to some independent panel (judge/jury/arbiter) that your selection of the product was legitimately acceptable for the application.
EXAMPLES ...
- If you decide that a light-grade lubricant intended for sewing machines is also good for your axle in your one-ton diesel under heavy towing loads, you will have to show how and why that choice was a good one.
- If you decide to put a 110v rated motor into your furnace where the application calls for 220v prime drivers, you will have to show why that choice was not a bad one
- If you put under-rated passenger car tires onto your F-350, and subsequently load it down to max payload while running down the highway at illegal speeds, and the resulting blow-outs cause damage and/or personal injury, you will have to show why that tire selection wasn't the cause of failure.
Most simply put ...
The M/M Act covers the reasonable use of products for intended applications; it is not a carte-blanche excuse to do stupid things.

In the case of the OPs question, if the RL product is intended for the WS applications, it would be reasonable to apply the M/M Act provisions. If not, that is a risk that opens a very large void which would need to be settled by a third-party entity, because it's likely that the OE and aftermarket vendor will attempt to deny coverage.

Last edited:
I'll stick w/ WS until the warranty runs out.
The warranty runs out In March 2027. That is almost 3years away. I like to address the Toyota WS early and get it out of the way. I am even thinking going with HPL ATF green(4gal) or Redline D6(6gal) which are in the basement.

The warranty runs out In March 2027. That is almost 3years away. I like to address the Toyota WS early and get it out of the way. I am even thinking going with HPL ATF green(4gal) or Redline D6(6gal) which are in the basement.

Wife just bought a 2021 NX and planning on doing the trans service very soon but I'll stick w/ WS on this first service. We got the same warranty as you RX

Wife just bought a 2021 NX and planning on doing the trans service very soon but I'll stick w/ WS on this first service. We got the same warranty as you RX
From my experience, my 14 Venza V6 got a Toyota trans flush at 40K WS , 88K Redline D6 and the transmission is smooth.
I bought HPL green and a directly Imported trans filter on eBay. I was planning to do it at 120K but I may do D6 here and move the HPL green to the RX350,

It is aggressive but yesterday I already changed the transfer case and rear diff gear oil to Mobil 1 Delvac 75w-90 with Redline Friction modifier 4.6%.
So far I noticed it was slightly quieter.

Why do you believe you needed to add a friction modifier to the gear lube?

Re: your tranny -

You used D6 in your Venza and apparently you are quite pleased with it. You have it on hand and it sounds like you want the WS out of the RX350, so go ahead and do a complete exchange with the D6.

One can debate potential warranty coverage issues regarding the use of aftermarket fluids forever.

Why do you believe you needed to add a friction modifier to the gear lube?

Re: your tranny -

You used D6 in your Venza and apparently you are quite pleased with it. You have it on hand and it sounds like you want the WS out of the RX350, so go ahead and do a complete exchange with the D6.

One can debate potential warranty coverage issues regarding the use of aftermarket fluids forever.
I made the cocktail up but realized later that I didn't need it. Too late.

As long as it's not one of those universal DexIII/Mercon/ATF+4/SPIII/CVT/TypeF/Power Steering/ Gear Oil/Coolant/One size fits all fluids you're probably fine ...

@Patrick0525 if you want an really good ATF, buy this: https://hplu.be/JmXCW

It's Valvoline Extended Performance ATF. It's blended with a high end Infineum additive package, and it has Infineum's latest tech. It's a heck of a lot better than the Toyota WS ATF, and you won't have any Warranty related issues from using it.

Looking at the PI sheets for that Extended Performance ATF vs the MaxLife ATF, I can't really see much difference other than a slight difference in Brookfield at -40C. Not really sure why they need two different products which are essentially the same. The MaxLife is $52 on Amazon for a 3-gal case. MaxLife also carries the WS recommendation. Can save some good money and still get a product suited for the application.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: D60
Looking at the PI sheets for that Extended Performance ATF vs the MaxLife ATF, I can't really see much difference other than a slight difference in Brookfield at -40C. Not really sure why they need two different products which are essentially the same.

MaxLife is my go-to for most applications.
The MaxLife product is blended with an mid-tier additive package supplied by Afton Chemical.

The Extended Protection ATF is blended with a high end Infineum additive package.

There is a considerable difference between the two. You can't tell the difference between the two by looking at the PDS sheet, not even a VOA would show anything of significance. But the Infineum additive package is more advanced, specifically optimized to be compatible with all step shift automatics.

@Patrick0525 if you want an really good ATF, buy this: https://hplu.be/JmXCW

It's Valvoline Extended Performance ATF. It's blended with a high end Infineum additive package, and it has Infineum's latest tech. It's a heck of a lot better than the Toyota WS ATF, and you won't have any Warranty related issues from using it.
Excellent idea. I can save my HPL green and Redline D6 for a later date and decide then what to do after the warranty.

Have u used it ?

Back