ATF Level Checking ... Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

I have 04 Mazda 3 2.3L

I just checked fluid level ... And Its hard to read it shows that the oil is there but it is all over .. you can't see reading

Engine was cold after night ... And level was reading full on hot and cold .. ( Overfilled from Factory ? )

Problem is that its one of those cable dipsticks

http://vodpod.com/watch/1018831-how-to-check-your-atf-fluid

you can see it here any tips ?

In some cases the dipstick tube has a bend and smears the ATF on one side of the flat dipstick. I assume it also does it on a cable dipstick.

I have no great suggestion except to try and not twist the dipstick as you are pulling it out and see if either the front or back of the dipstick has a valid reading.

I have seen guys clean all the oil off those cable dipsticks with brakekleen and then paint them so they can read them. Then use a plug for the tube and keep the dipstick in the garage or trunk for checking the oil only.

none of them are good .. looks like its overfilled ..

Thx Guys .. Painting will not help I think :D but sounds like good idea

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ndx
I have 04 Mazda 3 2.3L

I just checked fluid level ... And Its hard to read it shows that the oil is there but it is all over .. you can't see reading

Engine was cold after night ... And level was reading full on hot and cold .. ( Overfilled from Factory ? )

Problem is that its one of those cable dipsticks

http://vodpod.com/watch/1018831-how-to-check-your-atf-fluid

you can see it here any tips ?

My user manual instructed checking ATF when engine is running and in park. You may want to drive the car around to bring you AFT temperature up first.

I wipe the dipstick clean, quickly insert and then pull it out.

I hope this will help.

O really what year ? what tranny you had 4speed 5speed ?

I scored the flat part of the dipstick with 100 grid sandpaper, thus making it slightly duller than before. This helps to distinguish the shiny ATF from metal.

Reading the dipstick on this car is tricky, I try to hold it on an angle so that light reflects from ATF, this way you can see the line on the metal.
Also, take a couple of readings to make sure its consistent.

Last edited:
I've found that in those situations, the best approach is to pull the stick in and out very quickly. This solved the smearing problem on my Saturn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back