ATF change using MityVac? (no serviceable filter)

I have seen many posts re: oil changes using a MityVac (I also use the method for changing oil on my BMW), but was wondering if anyone does or recommends using the mityvac method (suck and fill) for ATF changes also...
My 2010 Escape with the 6F35 auto trans has no serviceable/replaceable filter = no filter changes with drain/fill service, so is there any harm in doing the mityvac method instead of a traditional drain/fill?

My goal is to do several suck/fill cycles to replace the full 9.5 qts of ATF new. (I have no idea how may quarts one can suck out with a MityVac; only about 4 qts can be replaced with a drain/fill on this transmission, which has already been done at 85k miles a few weeks ago: tech noted that the ATF was "pretty dark")

If any of you guys have attempted or done this: any tips/advice? any disadvantages?

(The one thing i am worried about is sucking ATF out hot/warm vs cold, due to the possible volume discrepancies of ATF at different temps.
I guess to be sure, I can suck it out when cold, that way both old AND new ATF is at same temp so I can just fill whatever volume I took out.)

Last edited:
Yup I use it to drain and fills.

They usually come with two tubes one with a black connector one with a red.

I use the red one for trans, and the black for oil(s)

A few years ago I did a drain and fill followed by a cooler flush. I was able to get right around 4.5 litres out of my Nissan Frontier during the pan drain.

Last year I was going to do another drain and fill, but decided to use my mityvac instead and see how much I could get out with it. I am sure every car/truck is a little different but for me I was able to get exactly the same amount out using the vacuum method.

From now on I will be using a vacuum every time with confidence. I take the truck for a short drive to get it warmed up, but trans fluid is pretty thin anyway and much easier to suck than cold engine oil. Cold or hot it will come out pretty easy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 97tbird
Thanks!

How do you guys measure the volume that comes out? The MityVac has markings on it, but IDK how exact they are.

I pour it into a graduated but empty container (usually old 5Qt oil jug)

UD

I use a vacuum pump on my Mustang to suck and fill ATF. I do 3qts at a time. Once per month for the months I drive it here in MI

Thanks!
How do you guys measure the volume that comes out? The MityVac has markings on it, but IDK how exact they are.

Recent MityVacs have a reverse valve so you could refill it with fresh ATF to the same level and reverse the action, then you'd be certain of the amount.

If the drain plug has a magnet, I would pull and clean the plug on the 1st iteration.
I plan on using my new MityVac for every-friggin-thing I can think of...
Gonna throw away my trolley jacks, etc.

A fluid extractor rocks for ATF exchange. I'll never be without one again. That said, the 6F35 has a drain plug underneath the plastic bottom cover. No Miti-vac required.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Thanks!

Recent MityVacs have a reverse valve so you could refill it with fresh ATF to the same level and reverse the action, then you'd be certain of the amount.

I **THINK* mine has that function too, but i have used it for oil a lot and PS fluid, so IDK if I can ever get it clean enough to feel good about putting fresh ATF in it.... I should have kept it a bit cleaner, I guess.

Also, don't freak out if the fluid looks pretty dark. In my experience, LV seems to get dark really quickly relative to other types of ATF.

Edit: just noticed that you said it was just changed. I would do one more change and just do a drain and fill every 30K going forward.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ripcord
A fluid extractor rocks for ATF exchange. I'll never be without one again. That said, the 6F35 has a drain plug underneath the plastic bottom cover. No Miti-vac required.

It does. But I am thinking of MityVac method for convenience (as I am somewhat hesitant about putting the car on jacks/stands etc, and I just want to avoid getting under the car and avoid messes), AND it doesn't have a filter that is replaceable anyway.

I already had a traditional drain/fill done, so the drain plug and magnet were inspected and were clean. I can always get a drain and fill done once in a while even if the "main" method is MityVac....
(I do the same with OCs on the BMW: for every 4th MityVac DIY I get a traditional drain/fill done)

Originally Posted by ripcord
Also, don't freak out if the fluid looks pretty dark. In my experience, LV seems to get dark really quickly relative to other types of ATF.

Edit: just noticed that you said it was just changed. I would do one more change and just do a drain and fill every 30K going forward.

Thanks.
Yeah I was already warned about the dark Mercon LV. It is less dark than it was for sure, even with the one drain and fill.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
If the drain plug has a magnet, I would pull and clean the plug on the 1st iteration.
I plan on using my new MityVac for every-friggin-thing I can think of...
Gonna throw away my trolley jacks, etc.

I already had a traditional drain/fill done about 1000 miles ago, so the drain plug/magnet was inspected and were clean, per the mechanic who did it.
I can always get a drain and fill done once in a while even if the "main" method is MityVac....
(I do the same with OCs on the BMW: for every 4th MityVac DIY I get a traditional drain/fill done)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by redbone3
Measure the volume after the ATF has cooled.
Or just weigh what you remove and add the same weight, so you won't have to wait for it to cool or take its temperature.

I have seen many posts re: oil changes using a MityVac (I also use the method for changing oil on my BMW), but was wondering if anyone does or recommends using the mityvac method (suck and fill) for ATF changes also...
My 2010 Escape with the 6F35 auto trans has no serviceable/replaceable filter = no filter changes with drain/fill service, so is there any harm in doing the mityvac method instead of a traditional drain/fill?

My goal is to do several suck/fill cycles to replace the full 9.5 qts of ATF new. (I have no idea how may quarts one can suck out with a MityVac; only about 4 qts can be replaced with a drain/fill on this transmission, which has already been done at 85k miles a few weeks ago: tech noted that the ATF was "pretty dark")

If any of you guys have attempted or done this: any tips/advice? any disadvantages?

(The one thing i am worried about is sucking ATF out hot/warm vs cold, due to the possible volume discrepancies of ATF at different temps.
I guess to be sure, I can suck it out when cold, that way both old AND new ATF is at same temp so I can just fill whatever volume I took out.)

I used to do exactly that on my old Honda Civic. Would suck out at cold temperature and fill the same volume. Then check the level as recommended.

Back