ATF and Friction Modification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
ATF's are not the best lubes for synchronized mtl's., they are a compromise.

Needle bearings and improved ball and roller bearings and hardened races can still operate in this lower viscosity environment of ATF.

I think there are exceptions in which certain transmissions can show low wear initially, but I still fear long-term wear problems with ATF's, since the anti-wear package in ATF really isn't suited for long-term wear protrection. And the lack of friction modification normally used for smooth synchro operation is not present in ATF's.

Personally, if I had to use ATF's in a tranny, I would use the highest viscosity ATF I could get my hands on, such as one that had say close to 8.0 cSt @ 100C and up to 10 cSt, such as Amsoil ATD and the Redline Hight-Temp and Synthetic Racing oils.

And then I would change to the GM Synchromesh mtl oil of 9.3 cSt.

You mention Redline ATF's...are they known to be top quality performers? You don't hear much about them, I use the C+ATF in my Dodge Cummins w/ G56.

I have a 42RE that shudders when in reverse, and slips under heavy load. Could this be due to an improper amount of FMs. Calls for ATF+3, current fill is unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back