ATF+3 vs Dextron/Mercron : What is the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is a line where you can't use one in the other.

Why is this? What is the real difference in additives?

Based on my readings from Allpar, I believe the ATF+3 has friction modifiers not available in Dexron. Hopefully somebody can give more concrete information.

Yep...the difference in the fluids is primarily the friction mofidiers. Stick with either the licensed products or use one of the conversion supplements...in this case Lubegard Black-bottle supplement in Dexron-III works in DaimlerChrysler transmissions. Or, use an unlicensed ATF that is "recommended" for your transmission by the ATF maker.

Ken

ATF+3 is much more shear stable than the typical Dexron III or Mercon fluid. ATF+3 uses the same shear stable VI improver that Lubrizol developed for ATF+4. (In fact, that is the only difference between ATF+2 and ATF+3. ATF+3 is ATF+2 with the VI improver that was developed for ATF+4.)

In tests done by Chrysler while developing ATF+4, they noted the following vis loss with use:

Dexron III - 40% loss
Mercon V - 19% loss
ATF+2 - 32% loss
ATF+3 - 14% loss
ATF+4 - 10% loss

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
But can ATF+3 really replace DexronIII?
What about ATF+4?

I wouldn't use either one in a transmission calling for Dex III. Chrysler never intended these fluids to be used in Dexron applications.

If you want the latest and greatest Dexron, use Dexron VI.

the newer Dexron's are backwards compatible?
So DexV would work? That's the newest stuff that I can find.

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
the newer Dexron's are backwards compatible?
So DexV would work? That's the newest stuff that I can find.

There is no such thing as Dexron V. The latest Dexron before the new Dexron VI was Dexron III(H). There is, however, a Mercon V.

Supposedly, all newer versions of Dexron are backwards compatible with all previous versions.

Pennzoil launched their Dexron-VI product not too long ago, but I've yet to see it on the shelves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back