At-Home Tire Inflation

I bought a Craftsman 3 gal pancake compressor at an Estate sale for $40 bucks .

If anyone is looking for a good little compressor. This Harbor Freight one is on sale for $25 for today and tomorrow still. I have one in each car, comes with the bag, room in the bag for a $6 plug kit they also have for emergency. Mine reside in the small storage of the Pilot and down by spare tire in the other cars. One thing many say is to turn it on so it is running before you screw it on to the valve. It keeps it from getting "dead headed" trying to start.
1670075444649.jpg

I didn't read all the way through the thread so forgive me if someone has already mentioned it but for home use of inflating tires I bought a Harbor Freight pancake compressor with a 3 gallon tank (Central Pneumatic brand name I think). At the time I bought it it was on sale for $39, I think that was between 5-10 years ago so pretty low annual cost. Now if you're wanting a compressor to use on the side of the road one of the compressors that plug into the power outlet/cigarette lighter is your only option.

A few months ago I purchased the Snow Joe 24 volt inflator on a Amazon flash sale for $25. Regular price $40. Used it yesterday for the first time. With real winter setting in, I wanted to raise my pressures by 5 psi. The pump worked great and its set it and forget it feature worked as advertised. Each tire gained the 5 psi in about a minute or so. The hose does get warm but oddly only where the warning tag about the hose getting warm is wrapped around it. The hose is long enough to attach to the valve and sit on its battery pack while it is working. Impressed for $25. Going to recharge and keep it in the truck under the rear seat for emergencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcs
I bought a 2 gallon AC, compressor from sears almost 20 years ago, and it still works fine. It comes in handy for the vehicles I have. At the time I don't believe those portable 12 v compressors were even in existence. I don't see how having one in your car would be that helpful if you had a flat tire. Is the plan to pump up a leaking tire every 15 minutes, instead of putting your spare on ?. I would rather change the tire, and worry about swapping the spare back out at a later time. My neighbor has needed a battery for his pick up for over a month now. But since he has one of those jumper boxes, he's getting his money's worth out of it. All those "Solutions" really do is increase the cost of repairing whatever your problem is.,,

I don't see how having one in your car would be that helpful if you had a flat tire. Is the plan to pump up a leaking tire every 15 minutes, instead of putting your spare on ?. I would rather change the tire, and worry about swapping the spare back out at a later time.

If ever you had a flat, it would be great to make sure the spare tire pressure is correct before putting it on.

Last thing you want to deal with is a second flat tire

I bought a 2 gallon AC, compressor from sears almost 20 years ago, and it still works fine. It comes in handy for the vehicles I have. At the time I don't believe those portable 12 v compressors were even in existence. I don't see how having one in your car would be that helpful if you had a flat tire. Is the plan to pump up a leaking tire every 15 minutes, instead of putting your spare on ?. I would rather change the tire, and worry about swapping the spare back out at a later time. My neighbor has needed a battery for his pick up for over a month now. But since he has one of those jumper boxes, he's getting his money's worth out of it. All those "Solutions" really do is increase the cost of repairing whatever your problem is.,,
I put one of the plug kits in each one as a just in case. Not often but I have seen where 2 tires have the nails so 1 spare and 1 fix. Very rare but luck favors the prepared. Even if that is prepared to help others.

I also have this Kobalt 3 gallon one from Lowes that I find I use for most of my stuff around now when home. Not heavy, pretty quiet and compact

I had a real cheapo auto tire inflator that lasted a few years and that little piston had all it could take and had a cardiac arrest. Looking for a recommendation on a decent unit for home use. My biggest tires are on the F150 (275/60/20) with the remaining typical 17 and 18" SUV/wagon type of tire.
I check my tires weekly and use a stand up bicycle pump from Harbor Freight. Super cheap, great tricep workout. About 8 pumps per pound increase. So works great unless you need a lot of air.

I also have an air compressor but getting the hose out, etc. is worse than getting ripped triceps.

I check my tires weekly and use a stand up bicycle pump from Harbor Freight. Super cheap, great tricep workout. About 8 pumps per pound increase. So works great unless you need a lot of air.

I also have an air compressor but getting the hose out, etc. is worse than getting ripped triceps.

Post up those ripped triceps! I have a few bike pumps and I'll pass on using it for a truck tire.

Reactions: rcs
I’ve had this one for over five years now. Still works like a charm if you just need a simple inflator.

Looks great , but I don’t like the ones that you have to screw on..you have to be quick or you lose air.

I leave the compressor on while disconnecting (and connecting). Haven't lost any that I know of. It unscrews easily, you could leave an extra second to account for it.
Tire Air chuck clip adapter is an option but brings the price up.
View attachment 129182
Thanks,...that is great and the same type of adapter on the one I have. I am going to look into getting this one as a back up. Thanks for the info on the adapter!

One of the LT245/75-16 tires on my Ram CTD seems to have a slow leak. I have a husky 12v inflator and it’s a slooow process. Someone gave me a HF12v unit as a gift before I went on a road trip. It’s a nicely setup unit, but it’s even more anemic. I pulled out my DeWalt 20v inflator to use today, as we were going out to get a Christmas tree. I was pleasantly surprised.

While I’m sure that some direct battery connected Vlair units work really well, I think that I’d stick with 20v power tool inflators. I’m definitely pleased with my DeWalt!

2843941B-7A29-46FB-8153-083294EB163D.jpeg

For "At Home" like thread topic I am not opposed to any of the battery operated ones. I used to have a rechargeable Campbell Hausfield from Walmart but the battery was frequently dead when I did want to use it and had to plug in anyway. Fortunately it did have a 12V power plug and an AC plug adaptor but it worked slow overall.

For me I would need to have the extra 20V battery and check frequently to make sure it was charged to be able to keep in the vehicle OR a plug in option. Do all the 18-20V brands have an adapter to charge in vehicle? Can I clamp to battery?

Around home for the bikes, lawn tractor etc the battery is convenient but normally I just bring by the garage and use regular larger compressor.

One of the LT245/75-16 tires on my Ram CTD seems to have a slow leak. I have a husky 12v inflator and it’s a slooow process. Someone gave me a HF12v unit as a gift before I went on a road trip. It’s a nicely setup unit, but it’s even more anemic. I pulled out my DeWalt 20v inflator to use today, as we were going out to get a Christmas tree. I was pleasantly surprised.

While I’m sure that some direct battery connected Vlair units work really well, I think that I’d stick with 20v power tool inflators. I’m definitely pleased with my DeWalt!

View attachment 129365
Can you add an adapter to that so it clips on the tire instead of screwing on the nozzle? Where would I get an adapter, and what brand is good?
Thanks in advance for your reply..

Back