At 150K do I alter my OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use to do a 2K OCI
blush.gif
up to 145K on my 99 Intrepid. Now thanks to all you folks here I am doing 3K OCI. Did I go backwards? At higher mileage wouldn't it be better to shorten the OCI?
confused.gif
What do you think?

No reason to go shorter you can go longer 4k or every 6 months . Good quality air filter and oil filter will get you the extended OCI no problem.

I always change the oil filter at each OCI, the air filter is a K & N, permanent, better performance type. There is some useage when I go over the 2K mark, usually I have to put in 1/2 qt before the 3K mark.

Well, since you use a K&N you might want to stay at the 3k mark. The dirt passing by that K&N will grind up your engine. (only partially kidding)

Quote:

Well, since you use a K&N you might want to stay at the 3k mark. The dirt passing by that K&N will grind up your engine. (only partially kidding)

In some cases perhaps, but I had great luck with the K&N filter I had in my Corvette. In a 9000 mile run there was only 11 ppm of silicon. It obviously was working very well. I've got a different filter in there now since I've got a Vararam intake on it, and even though it uses cotton gauze material as well, it's not filtering quite as good as the K&N did, and my last UOA it showed 15 ppm of silicon in a shorter 8000 mile interval. It should get better with age though, as most cotton gauze filters do (the dirt that gets trapped in it helps to trap more dirt)

Normally, I would reply, "go with whatever got you to 150,000 miles. But no way would I say that to someone who changes (read wastes) their oil at 2,000 miles. I can't truthfully claim to be a "greenie" but 2,000 OCI's are simply a waste of resources IMHO.

I have a 3.2L, and during the winter months I substitute a qt. of syn. During the warmer weather I have substituted a qt of high mileage Valvoline.

I always have gone with 3000 miles or 3 months OCI. I have 101,000 on the clock right now with no oil burning. I stick with 5w30 regular oil, as the Highmileage stuff was too expensive, as well as the synthetic blend stuff. My brands are Castrol and Pennzoil.

No need to alter, with the exception of I definitely would NOT go shorter.

I have 170k on one engine, I used to run it at 3k oci's with dino oil, I now run it to 4k oci's cause I'm using a synthetic oil. I would go longer except this engine requires very clean oil or this particular engine's design is known for ticking/tapping.

It depends... are you one of those folks that thinks that since the car has so many miles, it shold just be written off as junk? If so, use barain basement oil, and change when you remember.

If you think that at your mileage, your car is barely broken in (which, with careful driving, really is the case), then do a UOA to tailor your change interval, still use HQ oil, and spare no expense on PM.

JMH

Quote:

I always have gone with 3000 miles or 3 months OCI. I have 101,000 on the clock right now with no oil burning. I stick with 5w30 regular oil, as the Highmileage stuff was too expensive, as well as the synthetic blend stuff. My brands are Castrol and Pennzoil.

99,000 on the clock with no detectable oil consumption, I always go by the Oil Life Monitor (8-9000 mile OCI) on Havoline Dino.

Quote:

I use to do a 2K OCI
blush.gif
up to 145K on my 99 Intrepid. Now thanks to all you folks here I am doing 3K OCI. Did I go backwards? At higher mileage wouldn't it be better to shorten the OCI?
confused.gif
What do you think?

Does your car turn oil to black water in 3000 miles? If so, use 15w-40 during the warmest months, and 5w-30 + 1 qt synthetic the rest of the time.

Otherwise, 5w-30 + 1 qt synthetic year round.

Quote:

I use to do a 2K OCI
blush.gif
confused.gif
What do you think?

You don't have to shorten the oci unless you have the wrong oil/grade in there.

Quote:

I use to do a 2K OCI
blush.gif
confused.gif
What do you think?

2000km OCI?
nono.gif
That's just too long, your asking for trouble buddy. If I were you I would not go past 500km OCI. And change your oil to MOBILE1, best dino oil available on the market.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back