Astro, What Do You Make Of This ??

You are one of the few who is actually qualified to make a comment on it, being in your position. I'm quickly getting to the point on this where I don't know what, let alone who to believe anymore. I trust your commentary as to what's true or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first reaction is what exactly do they mean by commercial pilot certifications? A commercial pilot can't fly big passenger jets. That requires additional certifications like instrument, multi-engine and ATP (perhaps among others). And it requires something like 1500 hours mininum, which is difficult to impossible to get in one year. And that's just to sit up front, still not enough to be pilot in command. There's a reason the US has the best commercial pilots in the world. For good reason, the certification process takes time.

So while their research is misleading, the general point may or may not be true - whether or not we have a shortage of fully qualified commercial pilots available to fly big jets, I do not know.

My best friends boss's husband is a SFO. At the airline her husband works for, there is a captain shortage and they don't wanna give them time off and the captains call in sick to get time off, the flight gets canceled if a captain cant man the flight. This is in CMH.

What Bill says is an oversimplification. His claim that airlines are “lying” is, in itself, a lie. Clearly, he has an axe to grind.

“Certification” as a commercial pilot is not the same as having a pilot on staff at a major airline, any more than having a doubling of medical school graduates puts board-certified surgeons in operating rooms.

It can be years, even decades, to go from a commercial pilot certificate to an airline cockpit. My commercial certificate was earned in 1988. I started with United in 1997. I was fully qualified 4 months (yes, months) later, in early 1998.

My daughter graduated medical school in 2019. She has three years of surgery residency left until she is fully qualified.

Many airlines screwed up staffing during Covid. They parked huge numbers of airplanes, whole fleet types, and offered early retirement incentives. When travel rebounded, many airlines were not able to get enough of their remaining pilots retrained.

Pilots who were fully qualified on an airplane that is no longer flown have to be retrained for a new airplane and that takes several weeks, if the training staff can handle it.

But…many training centers were shut down by airlines, as well as regulatory authorities (state and municipal) to prevent the spread of COVID, so, pilot and instructor currency lapsed, and training capacity was diminished. Some airlines are only now recovering training capacity, and yes, they did add flights before they had staffing in place.

Further, pilots are in the public all the time. They get COVID, too, and sick call rates have been higher as a result. Airlines, some airlines, failed to plan for this.

Jet Blue is a hot mess. They don’t have a contract, they cut pilot pay, talked of furlough, during the pandemic and then thought they could rely on pilot good will to work overtime now that travel is back. Didn’t quite work that way.

There is a pilot shortage. There is also a failure by some airlines to properly plan.

Bill O’Reilly can’t tell the difference, and it’s clear that he hates Jet Blue.

I have a colleague that her husband was a 777 captain at American.

He was out on medical leave with Sciatica problems when Covid hit, was offered early retirement package and took it. Said he wasn’t happy the way things were going at American and was glad to retire a few years early.

There’s lots more to talk about on the subject. However, I’m due in the simulator in 30 minutes, I’m working a ton of extra time, and have been since last fall. I will spend zero, repeat, zero, days at home this month
That must be brutal !

I have a single and multi-engine land commercial certificate with single and multi-engine instrument airplane ratings and a flight instructor single engine land with an instrument rating. I'm am completely totally and absolutely unqualified to fly an airliner. If I applied at an airline, they would look at my type of time and laugh at me, as I don't have enough multi-engine or turbine time. 1,500 hours of giving single-engine land instruction isn't what airlines are looking for.

I have a single and multi-engine land commercial certificate with single and multi-engine instrument airplane ratings and a flight instructor single engine land with an instrument rating. I'm am completely totally and absolutely unqualified to fly an airliner. If I applied at an airline, they would look at my type of time and laugh at me, as I don't have enough multi-engine or turbine time. 1,500 hours of giving single-engine land instruction isn't what airlines are looking for.
The majors, no. The regionals will take 1500 for an R-ATP with a few requirements within that 1500 but no turbine and relatively little multi.

now, I'm not trying to turn anything political or anything like that, but, would something like the defense Production act do anything to help this? bring in some active duty Air force C-130/B-52/etc pilots some seat time to lessen the load for the airline pilots?

I'm legit asking a question. ( I like to try to think outside the box for solutions when i can...)

Alaska Airlines had (still has?) a large pilot strike, which surely doesn't help the situation.

now, I'm not trying to turn anything political or anything like that, but, would something like the defense Production act do anything to help this? bring in some active duty Air force C-130/B-52/etc pilots some seat time to lessen the load for the airline pilots?

I'm legit asking a question. ( I like to try to think outside the box for solutions when i can...)
I think you would find hundreds of major airline pilots, not only the major passenger carriers like united, Delta, and American, but a large numbers of pilots from FedEx and ups on orders flying in the military. If these pilots on orders in the military returned to their civilian jobs, the military may have a pilot shortage.

They’re not qualified, either. They can’t jump straight from a C-130 to a 737 without training, that thing that is also in very short supply.

The pilot has to be trained and qualified on a certain plane type. That takes time.

I’m an AMT for a heavy maintenance facility doing periodic heavy maintenance checks on Embraer airliners.

We just had 2 maintenance lines shut down. 1 SkyWest, and 1 Republic (our 2 biggest customers). The Republic line is forecasted to be shut down until late 2023. The SkyWest line until sometime in ‘24.

The reason each airline gave for the shutdown was “pilot shortage”.

Doesn’t make sense for the airline to pay millions for the heavy maintenance checks that are required to be done to keep airliners airworthy if you’re not going to be generating revenue by flying them.

As far as the true reality of the situation, how much of a role did Covid actually play in all of the current shortage of pilots? And in what way? I ask because talking about Covid in relationship to how it affected the airlines, is no different than talking about how Covid affected everything else.

You have to extract the politics from the true reality. That's not always easy to do. (Especially on this forum). But it has to be done in order to be able to extract clarity, and establish true reality. A lot of things get publicized that are flat out not true. One thing you hear, is that A LOT of pilots walked away because of forced vaccinations. There were no doubt some airlines that were affected more by this than others.

I believe Astro mentioned UAL was one airline that did not experience this as a problem. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). This not only affected the airline industry, but a lot of other professions as well. Truck drivers among them. Even the military.

Many are blaming the disruption of the current supply chain issues we're now having on it. Same deal. Not enough truck drivers. You really have no way of knowing if it's true or not, because both sides politicized it to support whatever narrative they happen to be pushing.

You end up with a bunch of B.S. one way or the other. And pretty soon you don't know what, let alone who to believe.

Back