ARX question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i'm currently the care taker of a 97 f-150...my fiance's truck. The thing has never seen regular oil changes I believe...at least in the last 4 or 5 years. I switched the thing to Maxlife, and it TEARS through oil. over a quart in 3k. Also, the max life seems to also result in heavy oil filters when i change the oil...im sure there is alot of burn off/sludge stuff coming off.

Anyway, im going to run auto rx through the thing, and was wondering if anyone with experience thinks that more filter changes during the clean/rinse cyle would be actually beneficial, given the sludge i perceive in the system already? Im not worried about cost so much, i just dont feel like wasting my time changing more filters for no reason.

BTW, as a testament to the engine, the thing SEEMS to run excellently for 160K...the only problem i can tell is the excessive consumption..

Any help would be beneficial....also any tips on what to expect with these engines on a side not is nice...had to replace the alternator a month or so ago, but other than that seems pretty stout..

I wouldn't call a quart every 3K excessive.

As for the ARX cycles, If you're worried, change the filter halfway through the clean/rinse phase.

Good luck, you won't be disappointed.

What weight of oil does it "tear" thru? syn/dino?

What brand of filters do you plan on using during the clean/rinse phases? I am not too sure if there is a bigger filter that you can put on that truck. If there is a larger one I would recommend using it over the standard size during your auto-rx cycles.

I made the mistake on my Dads Caravan of not changing the filters 2 X per each RX clean and rinse. I should have used two filters for the clean and two for the rinse. I did run two cycles of RX.

The last rinse that was run was plugged up completely. The sludge getting redeposited inside the engine. I know because I ended doing work on the engine when it was purchased with sludge.

I then had to redo some mechanical work again. The part I had cleaned up before was getting sludge again. The filter was plugged up something fierce.

So I am assuming that the four filters I ran through were probably more than full.

Last edited:
Its been going through 10-40 max life...and thanks. I suppose Ill be buying extra filters to do this....might as well i guess.

Thought I would just add the following. I assume since you live in Michigan you are a Valvoline fan, and that is fine. Here is what I would do while doing the ARX treatment. I would use regular white bottle 5W-30 Valvoline for both the clean and rinse. After that, if you like the Maxlife, I would use the Maxlife 5W-30. The ARX will more than likely clean up around the piston rings and if that happens, there is no reason to run a 10W-40 in that engine.

Also be sure and check the PCV system out on that truck.

I like Johnny's advice. But I would definately investigate the proper workings of your entire PCV system both before and after the ARX treatments.

If winter starting due to cold temps are a concern though, I would use PP 5W-30 or Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 for clean and rinse phases. And I wouldn't even bother with the Maxlife after the ARX. Just continue to use the dino or group III synthetics with a maintenance dose of ARX.

Actually...i was planning on using YB. The 10-40 was more of an on sale, all they had kind of thing. I just wanted a high mileage oil, and the cold was mostly over last time i bought it. Im actually an amsoil preferred customer, since i have a 200 mile commute and justify it that way...but thats a whole other story. I agree on the PCV thing, I will check that out.

Her commute is roughly 50 miles a day, and the truck doesnt get much "truck" use other than the occasional load of hay. I havnt yet decided whether or not to amsoil out her truck, since it wont see the kind of drain intervals that I do (who knows).

Thanks for the input Johnny, you always have good stuff to say around here. (me = big time lurker).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back