Are you using a 4k TV yet?

Back last year when we got a reliable high speed internet come to our neighborhood I found the Samsung 75 inch at Sams for $1,300 with a four year warranty to boot.Dumped my cable company put up an outside antenna and was proud I cut the cord.Then all the leaves came back cause I am surrounded by old groweth oak trees.Lost half my channels and when the wind blows I can't even watch the local news.720P and 1080i looks good on it on a still day.So I got youtube tv and my firetv cube upverts everything to 3840x2160/60p and all looks great.I like the fact it has a center stand cause I still have the same tv stand I bought at Sears in the mid 70's.I don't utilize the apps on the Samsung tv cause I love my streaming devices.For anything to look fantastic a program has to be recorded in 4K and yes the content is out there.

I'm sporting an HD plasma screen, doesn't really matter to me since I don't watch much TV other than Golden Girls reruns or some YouTube. I'll hold out until 8k becomes cheaper and hope the plasma can last until then.

Supposedly the eye can't distinguish beyond 8k so I think that will be the pinnacle of TV tech unless someone wants to splurge on a personal movie theater with 16k panels. I presume those might somewhat affordable in 10 years. By then we'll be wearing 8k hologram headsets or augmented vision contact lenses, or we'll be covered in radioactive fall out. Either way it will be exciting!

I'm sporting an HD plasma screen, doesn't really matter to me since I don't watch much TV other than Golden Girls reruns or some YouTube. I'll hold out until 8k becomes cheaper and hope the plasma can last until then.

Supposedly the eye can't distinguish beyond 8k so I think that will be the pinnacle of TV tech unless someone wants to splurge on a personal movie theater with 16k panels. I presume those might somewhat affordable in 10 years. By then we'll be wearing 8k hologram headsets or augmented vision contact lenses, or we'll be covered in radioactive fall out. Either way it will be exciting!
No rush. Plasmas can have a good picture. One wants to be on the "Trailing Edge" of tech to economically buy TVs.

'trailing edge' - that's how I buy my lap tops (currently the earliest of the new OS gen, this way I can 'up-date' to the top w/in the gen until the whole flips over to a different OS - 5 to 7 yrs usually.) Using an '11 now, just getting out of service. Just bought a '17 ("MacAir", no wonder bar, upgradeable) I expect to use till '26/7 that's my 'TV' too.
Sounds like this is possible w/an actual TV (flat screen or whatever they're called now)?

The nyquist theorem works for video as well as audio.

A 4K TV only resolves 2K to your eye.

We've been making 8K in japan work by using 4x4K signals for the last 8 years or so.

Is 8K enough? That all depends on the size of the screen and your distance from it and what you are trying to present - if you want a razor sharp screen in vegas thats hundreds of feet tall - no.

For your living room I suspect we'll be top at 8K a while until entire walls are actually screens in the home.

We've been making 8K in japan work by using 4x4K signals for the last 8 years or so.
That's amazing, I wasn't aware 8k has been around for so long. I assume footage was upscaled since I can't imagine many productions using 8K cameras (if available) back then. I'm unsure if you can even get many decent titles in 8k now!

I know of a few tech youtubers recording and uploading in 8k, soon going into 12k (but YT doesn't support beyond 8K yet).

That's amazing, I wasn't aware 8k has been around for so long. I assume footage was upscaled since I can't imagine many productions using 8K cameras (if available) back then. I'm unsure if you can even get many decent titles in 8k now!

I know of a few tech youtubers recording and uploading in 8k, soon going into 12k (but YT doesn't support beyond 8K yet).

Resolutions beyond “Full HD” have been around over 20 years albeit in low volume theatrical applications , big big expense

The nyquist theorem works for video as well as audio.

A 4K TV only resolves 2K to your eye.

Is 8K enough? That all depends on the size of the screen and your distance from it and what you are trying to present - if you want a razor sharp screen in vegas thats hundreds of feet tall - no.

For your living room I suspect we'll be top at 8K a while until entire walls are actually screens in the home.

My guess given all the extremely strangely shaped sets in large sizes used as display walls and promotional boards I almost bet we will end up in a strange place with “docked content” screens going to the home as a niche.

We already have an “iPhone proportioned” aspect ratio set that can be rotated vertically to better view cell content on a wall in the niche.

Give it a few years and a cockpit view in the high end might become a thing where multiple viewports can be setup displaying different content with auto sense and zoom/distort on by default, 4:3 sets may even make a comeback to better utilize floor space. We already have a translucent screen, have it lit and alterable between opaque and clear and that might be an office thing for show.

Given that 16:9 TVs are fully commoditized I will guess there is a fire under tv makers rear to find a new thing to justify, 4K and 8k didn’t move the kneedle much and super wide is too low of volume for profit even at the astronomical prices.

Ah well see what the future holds, 3D failed, 4K became a commodity in a few years, see what else hits the wall

Last edited:
If someone watches a lot of OTA TV, a 4k TV with a good upscaler is important because otherwise it often looks worse than a native-1080p TV. Not much reason to "upgrade" in that case.

Of course, good 4k video can look amazing on a good 4k TV, though it's funny that sometimes the picture can actually be too detailed and distracting when during an action movie you find yourself focusing on tree leaves or seeing how much beard stubble the actors have.

LOL! Ten years ago I bought my youngest son an Element 50 inch tv.His responce was "Element really Dad."Well ten years later it's still going everyday for him with no bad pixels or burnt out LEDs.It was an open box for $200.With all the bad reviews I figured I threw my money away.

^ I've never had pixels go bad later. It's usually the power board, then won't turn on or if just at the onset of failure, turns on but too unstable to boot.

"Are you using a 4K TV yet?"

No, in fact we're still using CRT sets. At the moment I have a 19" Samsung set playing an episode of "The X Files" in the background. (Well, you asked!)

Latest is my mom is po’d that the ABC app has completely dropped all unlocked shows, she would watch The View a week after airing, she has never had cable and the station is local to her, would be back to a VCR if she wants to watch the daytime bs after work.

Sort of surprising to me that programming as generic as ABC and PBS are locked behind a paywall but you can get snippets of these shows on YouTube

"Are you using a 4K TV yet?"

No, in fact we're still using CRT sets. At the moment I have a 19" Samsung set playing an episode of "The X Files" in the background. (Well, you asked!)

Both my bedrooms have CRTs, very disappointed Roku blows up with HDCP security errors if you try to use anything other than HDMI.

I used to keep my old game systems, vcr, dvd and an old core2 duo attached to my Sony 27” trinitron now it’s just game systems, over the air tv has gotten too weak of signal over the last 5 years so I can’t get digital tv in the bedroom

Definitely wouldn’t trade in my crt as long as I have old equipment that is best used on a crt, Nintendo on an lcd is about the worst experience I have ever had.

Last edited:
Back