Are you using a 4k TV yet?

I have a 43" 4K Samsung in use as a computer monitor, but all TVs that are strictly used for watching video, are 1080p.

Depends on viewing distance but personally, I'm fine with 720p under 50" then needs to be 1080p. 4K up close looks good but if the content is interesting, I don't notice the difference while watching.

It adds a little extra cost but you can add a (search terms: ) TV Vesa center stand
My one area has an odd 44” 4K set the other a 50” 1080p because “they fit” the space.

The only way I could go larger would be if they made 4:3 screens or if I rotated a large screen vertically.

Sadly content isn’t dynamic and viewports isn’t a thing for home theater.

Though I still prefer 4:3 for 99% of the viewing, sadly industry doesn’t agree

Yeah, we have two 4K's, a 75" Sony and a 55" Samsung. The Sony replaced a 65" Samsung that my son now has in his room.

It makes a difference with the PS4 or XBox, not as much of one with streaming.

Reactions: JC1
Its compressed from a bandwidth standpoint - but the resolution is still 4K. (4096x2160)

Sorry 3840x2160 - 4096 Is a theatre format, 3840 is s TV format.

4K has been around forever and has a ton of resolutions that are "around 4K

what source material are you playing that is sent at 4k?

HBO Max, Apple TV , amazon prime , hulu, disney +, youtube - are just some sources.

It is highly compressed from a bitrate perspective, but the horizontal and vertical lines are there.

Also, a high end Sony LED does you no good if you watch it offset from afar if it doesn't have a IPS panel. IPS panels from LG are better in that viewing scenario. OLED is better yet.
I am still incredibly disappointed with our 65” LG’s IPS panel. Granted it is a lower end model, a UN6950, but the contrast is awful because it can’t really do deep blacks and then at the same time it just can’t get bright enough. I ended up watching everything on my 13” MacBook Pro. The regular LCD’s looked better from a distance as well, the IPS just had slightly better viewing angles.

Been on 4K for awhile (I play games). I’ve had Vizio (backlight died 3 months out of warranty, apparently it was a common problem for that model, vowed never to buy another one), 2 Samsungs, a TCL, a LG, and a Hisense all in that $500-$700 range. The Hisense absolutely blows all of them out of the water for the price.

I have not stepped up yet to 4K. The prices are reasonable for quite large TV's. The picture quality is awesome I know.

So have you gone to 4k? What brand and size do you have?

Skip 4k and go, directly, to Oled or Qled. Immediate better quality regardless of display mode. The longer you wait to buy, the less, they will cost. Just moniter BB to see what you can get and how much it costs.

Skip 4k and go, directly, to Oled or Qled. Immediate better quality regardless of display mode. The longer you wait to buy, the less, they will cost. Just moniter BB to see what you can get and how much it costs.

4K is a resolution.

OLED and QLED are display technologies

4K is a resolution.

OLED and QLED are display technologies
O.K. Not much 4k programming, whatever, you want to call it. Buyers should skip buying a cheap 4k TV, pay a little more, and get Oled or Qled as they are 4k as well.

If you really want a true 4k picture (and a TV that is more future-proof), concentrate on finding a TV that has an ATSC 3.0 (NextGen TV) tuner in it. Several of the higher end 2022 Samsungs, Sonys, and LGs have them. Getting true 4k from streaming (I don't care what they say) doesn't happen.

If you really want a true 4k picture (and a TV that is more future-proof), concentrate on finding a TV that has an ATSC 3.0 (NextGen TV) tuner in it. Several of the higher end 2022 Samsungs, Sonys, and LGs have them. Getting true 4k from streaming (I don't care what they say) doesn't happen.

Over the air tuners always have signals that are far less compressed and way better looking than streaming deliveries- no disagreement.

In terms of compression - uncompressed 4K 60 is 12 gigabits.
Most streaming services crunch that down to around 25 megabits, but they still resolve 3840x2160.

What is it that you are defining as " true" vs what you get from a stream?

What is it that you are defining as " true" vs what you get from a stream?
The actual content. Almost all of the content (movies, TV programs, sports, etc) are not produced/recorded in 4k and are just up-converted from 1080p.
Once ATSC 3.0 becomes the defacto broadcast standard you will see a LOT more actual 4k content produced/recorded because viewers will demand it. ATSC 3.0 was developed from the onset for 4k and even 8k. This is not that far off now.

Last edited:
The actual content. Almost all of the content (movies, TV programs, sports, etc) are not produced in 4k and are just up-converted from 1080p.
Once ATSC 3.0 becomes the defacto broadcast standard you will see a LOT more actual 4k content produced because users will demand it. This is not that far off now.

ATSC 3 is already almost everywhere even in the sticks by me.

I considered being an early adopter and buying a tuner.

All they did in my market is repack ATSC 1 channels together and pack the ATSC 3 channels together on a single station.

Net effect was weak channels would be easier to pickup but no change in resolution

Interesting effect was I can more easily pickup Fox when I couldn’t before but other channels are weaker as they are distributing the ATSC 1 channels on 1 fewer tower.

The actual content. Almost all of the content (movies, TV programs, sports, etc) are not produced in 4k and are just up-converted from 1080p.
Once ATSC 3.0 becomes the defacto broadcast standard you will see a LOT more actual 4k content produced because users will demand it. This is not that far off now.

It's true that "most" things aren't shot at 4K, but many are.

Thats a different argument from your claim that you dont get "true 4K" when streaming.

Back