Are you realizing what is happening yet??

I recently came from Munich, Germany, where I spent a week on holiday. I had never seen so many train cars full of natural gas and propane in all of the years I have been traveling there. I guess that since the pipelines are shut down and the supply is not coming in from Russia then the country is getting the resources shipped in by train from other countries.

I don't know how they're going to handle the winter that is just on the horizon. Our politicians and elected leaders have certainly gotten this world into another mess.

In WWII, we rationed scarce resources. You got coupons to buy gas. There were price controls on wages. That's when companies started offering health benefits as a way to get around the wage freeze.

Today we let market prices ration scarce resources. Seems like a middle ground might be the best until the Ukraine war is over.

I recently came from Munich, Germany, where I spent a week on holiday. I had never seen so many train cars full of natural gas and propane in all of the years I have been traveling there. I guess that since the pipelines are shut down and the supply is not coming in from Russia then the country is getting the resources shipped in by train from other countries.

I don't know how they're going to handle the winter that is just on the horizon. Our politicians and elected leaders have certainly gotten this world into another mess.
Train cars with natural gas? Compressed? LNG? I've never seen either one.

Train cars with natural gas? Compressed? LNG? I've never seen either one.
Typically low pressure LNG

Before the hydrogen silliness CNG went near nationwide during the early 2k high fuel prices
and near the end of the $$$ era LNG started becoming a proposed thing for semi’s

Gas got cheap and all that momentum stopped

Still disappointed I didn’t buy a cheap CNG dual fuel car

Typically low pressure LNG

Before the hydrogen silliness CNG went near nationwide during the early 2k high fuel prices
and near the end of the $$$ era LNG started becoming a proposed thing for semi’s

Gas got cheap and all that momentum stopped

Still disappointed I didn’t buy a cheap CNG dual fuel car
Interesting I’ve never seen a vacuum insulated rail car carrying LNG. Probably not very common here in North America.

I wonder what the proces on food will be here this winter when this seasons crops go to market with the higher fuel ,fertilizer and labor costs etc.

If cutting off an energy pipeline is a great way to cripple an economy, why did the USA in 2021 voluntarily cut off its own pipeline?
You do realize that Germany gets most of its natural gas from "that certain country".

How would any 1st world country do if it suddenly lost most of its natural gas supply? Natural gas has been very cheap and is used for many things - energy for industrial processes, feed-stock for production of chemicals (synthetic oil and fertilizer as 2 examples), production of electricity, home heating, food production and lots more. But given time an economy can adapt.

If you have a natural gas cooking range you could convert it to propane, if you have a source of propane. Or you could throw it out and buy an electric range. If you heat your house with natural gas you could convert your furnace to propane or heating oil, or you could put in a heat pump or baseboard heaters. Forget about synthetic oil - you can always use dino. And so on. But it takes time, costs real money, and there can be lost production and all that can be a drag on the economy.

A while back someone said Germany is beholden to Russia and folks had a good laugh.

They won’t be laughing this winter when it’s freezing and very little natural gas supply….

Back