Are we seeing more oil related failures in modern cars?

I check my oil regularly while at a gas pump. I do it out of "old school" habit, not because my car leaks or burns/consumes oil, but because it feels normal to me and reassures me that I can stomp on it without abusing it; and yes, people look at me funny. However, my self-esteem is not subject to public opinion.
I actually enjoy changing oil.

I check my oil regularly while at a gas pump. I do it out of "old school" habit, not because my car leaks or burns/consumes oil, but because it feels normal to me and reassures me that I can stomp on it without abusing it; and yes, people look at me funny. However, my self-esteem is not subject to public opinion.
I don't get to check my oil at the pump because it always reads low. My car needs like ten minutes of rest for the oil to settle down into the pan. I check my oil once a month along with tire pressure checks, coolant, etc., and paying the rent. =P

Motor design is driven by efficiency over longevity and the result puts value at risk, thank CAFE.

how many check the oil level every time they fill the gas tank?
I know i do. sadly I've never seen anyone else at the gas pumps doing the same.
I don’t do it every fuel up since I have to fill up around 3-4 times a week but I do check it once a week. My truck uses no oil in the 5k oci but I like to check just for piece of mind.

I‘m going to be honest. Checking oil is often an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I do check oil once in a while but I have NEVER found my vehicles needed oil added. If you have a vehicle that uses oil like many European cars do, then by all means, check it. A guy checking oil in a new Toyota would be be exhibiting OCD behaviour. Flame suit on.

Last edited:
Newer Toyotas are having that happen, on ZZ and the 2AZFE engines.

Sludged up rings there. While of course it's due in part to design flaw, I do wonder if negligence based on false impressions of magic reliability/ignorance, and longer factory OCIs people take more seriously due to magic synthetic oil are at least in part to blame.

A common malady when a Prius gets old is also oil burning. I speculate while Toyota didn’t think about low-tension rings and the resulting oil consumption, just the principle about how Toyota hybrids operate(constant start/stop, using VVT and different cam phasing to achieve Atkinson-cycle high-expansion ratio without radical engine modification at the penalty of lower engine vacuum) makes them more prone to burning oil.

with the case with the Corolla and Camry, it’s probably a bone-headed move of not enough oil drainage holes in the piston and higher temps at the tops of the pistons. Toyotas tend to run “hot” - probably to maximize fuel efficiency or to reduce HC emissions and to allow the cats to work better. They didn’t have to use EGR with VVT-i before stricter CARB PZEV rules about NOx were imposed. Toyota also tends to “decontent” engines - their “high-end” engines do get extra cooling(heavy-duty radiators and liquid-liquid heat exchangers on the truck/Lexus engines) and oil jets which does have an impact on piston temps. Their more lowly 4-cylinder engines seeing Yaris/Prius/Corolla/Camry service don’t have oil jets.

... Toyota also tends to “decontent” engines - their “high-end” engines do get extra cooling(heavy-duty radiators and liquid-liquid heat exchangers on the truck/Lexus engines) and oil jets which does have an impact on piston temps. Their more lowly 4-cylinder engines seeing Yaris/Prius/Corolla/Camry service don’t have oil jets.
I have a press release Toyota created circa 2009 when the 2ZR-FXE (3rd generation Prius) was introduced. It specifically claims the engine has piston-cooling jets. The 1ZR-FE Corolla engine is mostly similar (aside from hybrid-specific details in the head).

I have a press release Toyota created circa 2009 when the 2ZR-FXE (3rd generation Prius) was introduced. It specifically claims the engine has piston-cooling jets. The 1ZR-FE Corolla engine is mostly similar (aside from hybrid-specific details in the head).
I wonder if those aren’t drinking oil like the 1NZ/1ZZ does when they get older. But, the 2ZR-FXE does have a knack for BHGs.

To correct and add to my previous post:

That document was created in December 2007, and was specifically about the 2ZR-FE, not the (mostly similar) 2ZR-FXE.

Quoting Toyota directly,
"2. Piston Oil Jet
Piston oil jets for cooling and lubricating the pistons have been provided in the cylinder block.
These oil jets contain a check ball to prevent oil from being fed when the oil pressure is low. This prevents
the overall oil pressure in the engine from dropping."

Part of it as mentioned before is that people just don't check their oil. Years ago it was not uncommon to see people checking it at the pump. Now when I pop the hood to check my oil when fueling people look at me like I am a wierdo.
Definitely true... Several years ago we lived an apt complex and I was checking fluids/tire psi one day and a resident there came along saw the hood up and asked if everything was OK. Simply said it's all good, it's called preventive maintenance. Lived there close to 7 yrs and never once saw anybody doing anything to their vehicle (check fluids, wax, etc.) unless it was jumping a battery. Definitely typical of those that think if it starts it must be OK.

Main problem is people no longer check their oil and several modern engines use oil (example is GM 3.6L) so with extended oil changes the cars are already down a quart or 2 at oil change time. I can't tell you how many people see the oil life percentage and think that is how much oil they have!

blame the 7,500 - 10k oil change intervals..
or forgetting them when a car goes off warranty.

Nah man it's that 5W-20/0W-20/0W-16 motor oil lol.

Plus 15K OCIs, 20K if you believe Mobil and now Castrol says it too

I don't get to check my oil at the pump because it always reads low. My car needs like ten minutes of rest for the oil to settle down into the pan. I check my oil once a month along with tire pressure checks, coolant, etc., and paying the rent. =P
If people were to read and follow their owner's manuals, as some in this thread have opined ought to be done, many would see that you are in fact supposed to let the vehicle sit 10-15 minutes before checking. So, for many, checking oil level while refueling would be doing it wrong. I mean if it makes them feel better it makes them feel better, but the high and mighty feeling of doing it wrong is kinda funny I have to admit

I listen to a few auto repair podcasts and they claim to see many more engine problems due to extended oil change intervals.
You took the words out of my mouth!

If you listen to the AGCO Auto podcast, hosted weekly by Louis Altazan and co-host Brian Terry ( http://www.agcoauto.com/content/Most_Current_Radio_Show ), you will routinely hear Louis blame the more common occurrence of blown engines, engine problem, etc., etc. on "extended oil change intervals."

According to him, you should never go beyond 5K oil change intervals.

Don't shoot the messenger.

:)

Ed

You took the words out of my mouth!

If you listen to the AGCO Auto podcast, hosted weekly by Louis Altazan and co-host Brian Terry ( http://www.agcoauto.com/content/Most_Current_Radio_Show ), you will routinely hear Louis blame the more common occurrence of blown engines, engine problem, etc., etc. on "extended oil change intervals."

According to him, you should never go beyond 5K oil change intervals.

Don't shoot the messenger.

:)

Ed
There is a HUGE difference between an extended OCI and just ignoring your engine oil. Radio shows are entertainment. I have not listened to these two clowns but if they don't make that distinction then my old dog has twice as much brain power.

Back