Are we seeing more oil related failures in modern cars?

There is a HUGE difference between an extended OCI and just ignoring your engine oil. Radio shows are entertainment. I have not listened to these two clowns but if they don't make that distinction then my old dog has twice as much brain power.
They also claim the reason for extended drain intervals recommended by the Manufacturers is to make their vehicles appear to be more "maintenance free" to the shopping consumer. Why buy Vehicle X when you have to change the oil every 5K when Vehicle Y says you only have to change the oil at 10K?...gee...I guess Vehicle Y is a superior design because it doesn't require as much maintenance.

At least that's how Louis describes it and blames the increase on the engine failures that he encounters at their shop.

:)

Ed

They also claim the reason for extended drain intervals recommended by the Manufacturers is to make their vehicles appear to be more "maintenance free" to the shopping consumer. Why buy Vehicle X when you have to change the oil every 5K when Vehicle Y says you only have to change the oil at 10K?...gee...I guess Vehicle Y is a superior design because it doesn't require as much maintenance.

At least that's how Louis describes it and blames the increase on the engine failures that he encounters at their shop.

:)

Ed

It is a selling point. Less maintenance is attractive to those who don’t understand all the factors involved. Nobody at the dealership is going to go against the grain either. So, the senior citizen that drives 1000 miles a year going to the store and back is treated the same as the driver that puts 1000 miles a week on his cars as a delivery driver.

Over time though, one will discover the consequences of not knowing what is best.

It is a selling point. Less maintenance is attractive to those who don’t understand all the factors involved. Nobody at the dealership is going to go against the grain either. So, the senior citizen that drives 1000 miles a year going to the store and back is treated the same as the driver that puts 1000 miles a week on his cars as a delivery driver.

Over time though, one will discover the consequences of not knowing what is best.
The manufacturer's should have some solid bulleted disclaimers about checking oil, doing maintenance, severe conditions, etc

The manufacturer's should have some solid bulleted disclaimers about checking oil, doing maintenance, severe conditions, etc

Indeed. I was fortunate in my last buying experience as the service dept asked me about my driving routine which led to the 5000 mile/1 year oci.