Are there any new sedans capable of 300k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by The Critic
The stories you hear about taxicabs are not applicable to privately owned vehicles - taxis see very different usage cycles.

Yes, but taxi usage cycles are much more severe than the average private owner will ever subject their Hybrid to. On Toyota Hybrids, the electric drive system and battery are used primarily and largely at speeds under 35mph. New York City taxi cabs operate their entire lives at speeds under 35mph, so their Hybrid battery utilization is much higher than that of a typical car owner's Hybrid battery utilization. The NiMh battery pack that Toyota developed in conjunction with Panasonic EV is a marvelous technical achievement and was the MOST important part of Toyota's Hybrid development process. IMO, after 20 years and hundreds upon hundreds of million miles experience, the quality of Toyota's NiMh battery pack has proven itself beyond any doubt.

Toyota, rightly so, invested a lot in battery development. That is why BMW made a deal with Toyota for technology exchange. Toyota supplies batteries to BMW hybrids, while BMW supplies diesel engines for Euro market and high performance gas engine for Supra.
No one is better than Toyota in hybrid department, there is no doubt about that.
Unfortunately, in other departments they are mediocre.

Originally Posted by wag123
The 2018-19 2.5L 4-cyl engine is not new, neither is the 3.5L V/6 engine, they is just have revised fuel injection systems using both direct AND port injection, revised VVT, and a higher compression ratio (but doesn't require higher octane gas). ...

The 2018+ dual injection 2.5 liter A25A engine is new, it is not the same block as the 2AR-FE it replaced.

Originally Posted by dblshock
Rust is no issue on unibody Toyota's or Honda's, vulnerable areas are all plastic clad.

Maybe the most vulnerable areas down low, but rock chips happen everywhere, like the hood, doors, and even in back, and despite dealer claims of "fully galvanized sheet metal" I these cars rust quickly where the paint is damaged.

Plastic cladding is a great way to hid rust so that it gets good and deep. Plus it's the rust underneath that really counts. Who cares if the body is mint but every brake line needs replacing. And I've seen on Toyota's where they put some sort of plastic cladding around brake lines; great way to trap garbage around the lines so that they rot out.

I rent all the time. Whether or not the Camry will last only time will tell. What I do know is that I truly dislike the current Camry, it's noisy, poorly insulated, feels cheap inside and out, it's non responsive and more.

If you liked driving a Chevy chevette (which was completely devoid of refinement) , you'll like the new Camry. Wear your earplugs.

I just want to see the article(s) stating the Sonata along with the others mentioned.
35.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back