Are There Any "Fully Synthetic" Engine Oils...

They should be consistent with their numbers, I don't think it's that hard, considering that they're the largest oil company in the world. Maybe we should ask Mobil 1 which numbers they consider to be true, as their PDS documents are nothing more than a verbatim copy of the tables on their website.

It's the other way around, the tables on the website are a verbatim copy from the PDS.

And yes, while it would be nice if things were consistent, this is not the first time that there have been inconsistencies between various data sets from the oil companies. Shell had some significant bugger-ups going on for ages for example.

The MSDS isn't required to be accurate/detailed on things like viscosity, pour point...etc. Things that aren't relevant to the hazards that might be present with the product. This is the same reason that the constituents that are called out are done so in ranges. Some companies use FAR less specific ranges than Mobil, like 0-90% for example. We should be thankful that Mobil at least shows us reasonably narrow ranges on the base oils they do choose to call-out in this case.

If there is a discrepancy on a product quality between the MSDS and PDS, the PDS should always be assumed to contain the accurate figure, since its purpose is to convey those specifics, quite unlike the MSDS.

They should be consistent with their numbers, I don't think it's that hard, considering that they're the largest oil company in the world. Maybe we should ask Mobil 1 which numbers they consider to be true, as their PDS documents are nothing more than a verbatim copy of the tables on their website.
Yes if you’re concerned about that then by all means contact them. They seem pretty responsive to consumer inquiries.

It's the other way around, the tables on the website are a verbatim copy from the PDS.

And yes, while it would be nice if things were consistent, this is not the first time that there have been inconsistencies between various data sets from the oil companies. Shell had some significant bugger-ups going on for ages for example.

The MSDS isn't required to be accurate/detailed on things like viscosity, pour point...etc. Things that aren't relevant to the hazards that might be present with the product. This is the same reason that the constituents that are called out are done so in ranges. Some companies use FAR less specific ranges than Mobil, like 0-90% for example. We should be thankful that Mobil at least shows us reasonably narrow ranges on the base oils they do choose to call-out in this case.
I was just pointing out an inconsistency, and didn't mean to upset anyone. I doubt it would be good to crank a vehicle that sat outside overnight at -40C or -45C without a block heater at the very least. Shell is only the second largest, so we'll cut 'em some slack ;)

I noticed that Mobil 1 is the only one who is even remotely specific about the base oil ranges. I wonder if this is a way for them to advertise their products in a very subtle manner. I mean, the word spreads, and word of mouth advertising still works.

Meh there is no performance aspect of an oil (such as cranking and pumpability) that’s most accurately represented by the pour point. I’ll stick with the better winter rating. Pour point was shown to be an inaccurate indicator of cold weather performance years ago.

Meh there is no performance aspect of an oil (such as cranking and pumpability) that’s most accurately represented by the pour point. I’ll stick with the better winter rating. Pour point was shown to be an inaccurate indicator of cold weather performance years ago.
Those frozen oil videos on YouTube though... :cool:

I was just pointing out an inconsistency, and didn't mean to upset anyone. I doubt it would be good to crank a vehicle that sat outside overnight at -40C or -45C without a block heater at the very least. Shell is only the second largest, so we'll cut 'em some slack ;)

I noticed that Mobil 1 is the only one who is even remotely specific about the base oil ranges. I wonder if this is a way for them to advertise their products in a very subtle manner. I mean, the word spreads, and word of mouth advertising still works.

Nobody is upset, no worries there.

This is why noting the date on the PDS and SDS is important. One got finished first and uploaded to the website while the other is still on someone’s desk.

There doesn't exist any "synthetic oil law" in Germany. It's been a court that decided selling oil with less than 70 % or so PAO/POE and write "vollsynthetisch" (fully synthetic) onto the bottle is a hoax. That's all about it. Perhaps another court would decide different.

There doesn't exist any "synthetic oil law" in Germany. It's been a court that decided selling oil with less than 70 % or so PAO/POE and write "vollsynthetisch" (fully synthetic) onto the bottle is a hoax. That's all about it. Perhaps another court would decide different.

Its somewhat a law. I also read that its difficult for them to enforce, so its very well possible that some are going around it.

It's part of a consumer protection law where the contents of what you're buying have to be acurately described. It's a very German thing to do, in Germany, lol.

Can you reveal any nuggets about your High Performance compared to your Heavy Duty Motor Oil offerings ?
Hello, The short version is that we are always looking to improve. Although I have been pretty partial to the real CI4 Plus HDMO chemistry for gas and diesel oils, we have made something that is even better. We are using current separate Gasoline (D1G2/SP) and Diesel (CK-4) ad packs for these. There are 6 total groups. There is a cold climate CK-4 that pours at -69F and a 0W30 CK-4 that pours at -80F. I'll be changing all my standby generators to the 5W40 for all year service. These are obviously PAO. The PAO Gasoline version will have a 0W20 that pours at -72F with a CCS of 3979 and an MRV of 13211with a TBN of over 13. Like our other oils it will have a generous slug of Moly. I do apologize for not having all the data out there. This is a busy time of the year for our race teams and I have been on the road quite a bit. This week is the Knoxville Nationals so I probably won't be able to put up the PDS's until next week.

Hello, The short version is that we are always looking to improve. Although I have been pretty partial to the real CI4 Plus HDMO chemistry for gas and diesel oils, we have made something that is even better. We are using current separate Gasoline (D1G2/SP) and Diesel (CK-4) ad packs for these. There are 6 total groups. There is a cold climate CK-4 that pours at -69F and a 0W30 CK-4 that pours at -80F. I'll be changing all my standby generators to the 5W40 for all year service. These are obviously PAO. The PAO Gasoline version will have a 0W20 that pours at -72F with a CCS of 3979 and an MRV of 13211with a TBN of over 13. Like our other oils it will have a generous slug of Moly. I do apologize for not having all the data out there. This is a busy time of the year for our race teams and I have been on the road quite a bit. This week is the Knoxville Nationals so I probably won't be able to put up the PDS's until next week.
Wow, I really want to try your stuff out. Where can I easily order it online? On Amazon it's pretty weird to get as 3rd party sellers offer it. I not asking you guys to advertise, just to point me in the right direction. You can also PM me where I can find your products if you're not allowed to post that information in the public forums. Thank you.

Back