Are There Any "Fully Synthetic" Engine Oils...

they have good base stock, but their additive package is questionable and dont forget they are not API certified.
Red Line does have one approved oil; Professional-Series 5W30TD Euro Motor Oil. It is "Factory approved for API SN, BMW LL-04, Porsche C30, Mercedes Benz-Approval 229.51 and VW-Audi 507.00/504.00" However, it has more "Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic" than PAO in its mix.

@High Performance Lubricants Makes good PAO/ester synthetic oils.
I don’t believe that’s true. Some of their products may have some %, however I believe the majority do not. if you look at the disappointing pour point data on their product line it indicates there is very little if any group IV.

I also asked this question in another thread and the response I got from HPL is that they aren’t a significant quantity of group IV and V and they are blends to achieve a performance goal.

GTL base stock isn’t a distillate either. Therefore it is a pure synthetic oil.
According to CleverUserNam, "The C18-50 is GTL oil made from natural gas. This would be called group III+

Most synthetics contain a significant quantity of group III as they can be made cheaper and sold at a competitive price point.

I don’t think you should avoid group III if it’s part of a balanced formula.

A German oil that has Vollsynthetisches on the label should be lower % group III."

Since they don't provide an SDS, there is no way to tell if there's any Group III in that mixture.
Ravenol is very secretive of their SDS data. I’ve never seen an oil company with a total disregard for safety or transparency. I actually contacted the US and also German branch to acquire an SDS once and I was completely stonewalled.

I don’t believe that’s true. Some of their products may have some %, however I believe the majority do not. if you look at the disappointing pour point data on their product line it indicates there is very little if any group IV.

I also asked this question in another thread and the response I got from HPL is that they aren’t a significant quantity of group IV and V and they are blends to achieve a performance goal.

We have both. There will be a data sheet forthcoming that is a product group made completely of PAO and Group V. And yes the pour points will reflect exactly that. RDY4WAR is aware that this is on the edge of release.

We have other product groups that rely on good chemistry that is offset by the formerly more affordable group III and III+ coupled with smaller amounts of Group IV and Group V. With the additive response being so good in Group III and III+ you can make some pretty good products that will last a LONG time. We do it every day. The only time you really need a PAO these days is if you need the physical properties the PAO delivers.

What an oil does is more important than what an oil is.

David

We have both. There will be a data sheet forthcoming that is a product group made completely of PAO and Group V. And yes the pour points will reflect exactly that. RDY4WAR is aware that this is on the edge of release.

We have other product groups that rely on good chemistry that is offset by the formerly more affordable group III and III+ coupled with smaller amounts of Group IV and Group V. With the additive response being so good in Group III and III+ you can make some pretty good products that will last a LONG time. We do it every day. The only time you really need a PAO these days is if you need the physical properties the PAO delivers.

What an oil does is more important than what an oil is.

David
Do the grp III+ oils the hold ad-packs in suspension better than a pure grp IV would?

Do the grp III+ oils the hold ad-packs in suspension better than a pure grp IV would?

To be clear we do not use GTL. That being said there are only a couple of group III+ suppliers in the world. The additive solubility of group III+ base stocks is certainly good with true chemistry we use. The fact that we include ester in virtually everything we make makes additive solubility less of an issue for us. And of course esters keep elastomers pliable and engines clean.

Currently the group III base stocks are in short supply and have nearly doubled in the last 8 months. We are looking forward to seeing these base stocks return to a better price level as well as being more available.

David

To be clear we do not use GTL. That being said there are only a couple of group III+ suppliers in the world. The additive solubility of group III+ base stocks is certainly good with true chemistry we use. The fact that we include ester in virtually everything we make makes additive solubility less of an issue for us. And of course esters keep elastomers pliable and engines clean.

Currently the group III base stocks are in short supply and have nearly doubled in the last 8 months. We are looking forward to seeing these base stocks return to a better price level as well as being more available.

David
Thanks, i should have worded it grp III and III+

According to CleverUserNam, "The C18-50 is GTL oil made from natural gas. This would be called group III+

Most synthetics contain a significant quantity of group III as they can be made cheaper and sold at a competitive price point.

I don’t think you should avoid group III if it’s part of a balanced formula.

A German oil that has Vollsynthetisches on the label should be lower % group III."
Called that but not really, the API does not designate GTL as anything but Group III for interchange.

But it's actually synthesized from a more fundamental feedstock molecule than PAO.

Red Line does have one approved oil; Professional-Series 5W30TD Euro Motor Oil. It is "Factory approved for API SN, BMW LL-04, Porsche C30, Mercedes Benz-Approval 229.51 and VW-Audi 507.00/504.00" However, it has more "Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic" than PAO in its mix.

Yes, that one is not PAO based

🤨‼️

VII infected third rate oil they know can't even pass A3\B4. this may be the worst oil in the entire M1 product line, FS 5W50 wipes the floor with it.
Your beef is that 15W-50 is not B4 direct injection diesel rated? That's just calcium content. Our experience with 15W-50 remains excellent. I'd expect the 5W-50 to shear more and faster, and it already starts out with less 100c viscocity.

Any of the Redline "Professional" series oils are just rebottled Kendall or P66, so they will be Group III based.

Since they don't provide an SDS, there is no way to tell if there's any Group III in that mixture.
Ravenol said:
RAVENOL Super Synthetik Öl SSL SAE 0W-40 is a PAO (Polyalphaolefin) based, fully synthetic low friction motor oil with especially USVO® and proven CleanSynto® technology for passenger car petrol and diesel engines with and without turbo-charging and direct injection.

The German:
Ravenol said:
RAVENOL Super Synthetik Öl SSL SAE 0W-40 ist ein PAO (Polyalphaolefin) basiertes, vollsynthetisches Motorenöl mit spezieller USVO® und bewährter CleanSynto® Technologie für PKW Motoren (Benzin und Diesel) mit und ohne Turboaufladung und Direkteinspritzer.

Since it is labelled "vollsynthetisches" in Germany, it has to be predominantly PAO.

David
Can you reveal any nuggets about your High Performance compared to your Heavy Duty Motor Oil offerings ?

Back