Are Subarus really that sensitive

I bought a 21 WRX and I joined a few groups. I see over and over people saying you shouldn't drive them below 3k Rpms, you should change your oil at like 2500rpms you should never just go full throttle etc.....never in my life have I been told to be so careful with a car. Any idea what gives?

Funny this topic came up again. My buddy Matt W's Legacy blew its second engine on New Years. Combined mileage of both engines is 180K miles. He has its service done at the dealer. I've driven with him, he rides it pretty hard so the OP's suggestions may have some merit.

Not getting into too much boost under 3k rpm relates to the risk of LSPI. Engine failures from this were somewhat common on the early turbo GDI engines. Subaru addressed it by updating the engine tunes. The motor oil industry further addressed it with API SP oils. It seems less of a common issue now, but it's still best not to lug the engine in 5th or 6th gear.

6k mile oil changes are completely fine for normal driving without a lot of short-tripping. The engines aren't particularly hard on oil and Subaru's 6k mile inverval (3k severe service) is plenty conservative.

The latest generation really pees alot of gasoline into the oil crankcase, so much so its an engineering embarassment. They should all be recalled.
It's no worse on Subarus than on GDI engines from other manufacturers. 2-4% dilution is typical, which is better than some others, like the modern Hondas. There's also no evidence that the dilution is problematic in any way.

It's no worse on Subarus than on GDI engines from other manufacturers. 2-4% dilution is typical, which is better than some others, like the modern Hondas. There's also no evidence that the dilution is problematic in any way.

That was my understanding. Normal range of fuel dilution. I have a friend (insert Suby joke here :love: ) with a new 2.0 and his UOA's at 5k with Valv synthetic show very little fuel dilution. I'll ask if he would mind if I post. My 17Outback isn't in this race as it's an old-school 3.6. I would not buy a 2.5 Subaru but I'd look into the 2.0 before saying no-go for me.

No first-hand experience so could be wrong but I read a lot of the Hyundai and Kia engines are prone to heavy fuel %'s. Honda DI's are in that mix as well.

I bought a 21 WRX and I joined a few groups. I see over and over people saying you shouldn't drive them below 3k Rpms, you should change your oil at like 2500rpms you should never just go full throttle etc.....never in my life have I been told to be so careful with a car. Any idea what gives?
With a manual you don't want to lug the engine. So keeping it at an RPM that doesn't do that is good. I have no idea what RPM that is for a WRX. Otherwise, do what the owner's manual says, check the oil every few hundred miles (it's what makes a Subaru a Subaru), hand thread lug nuts, and put stickers all over it to increase it's HP and resale value.

With a manual you don't want to lug the engine. So keeping it at an RPM that doesn't do that is good. I have no idea what RPM that is for a WRX. Otherwise, do what the owner's manual says, check the oil every few hundred miles (it's what makes a Subaru a Subaru), hand thread lug nuts, and put stickers all over it to increase it's HP and resale value.
Your not wrong!!! I have a tuna no crust remember the buster license plate on it. I'm officially a stereo type🤣🤣🤣

I know several people who drive a Subaru.
While they are not as reliable as say a Honda it seems, they are also nowhere near as delicate as you've read about.

The problem with car forums is that people often join to post their problems, and few join to say wow my car is trouble free. So you are reading about the 1% who have troubles, not the 99% with a great car.

My BFFs dad is an auto mechanic, at an all brands shop, and if you asked him, there is no such thing as a trouble free brand. He ranks Subaru as mid pack for issues.
My personal opinion is that the most overhyped brand is Toyota. Toyota is okay, but they sure do have lots of problems to, yet if you read here on BITOG you may start to believe that Toyota is great, which is BS, they are actually okay, as is Subaru.
Considering the amount of work i have done, and still need to do on a 2010 Tacoma recently, seeing this Toyota product, hands on it, driving it, and such, I'm sure glad it isn't mine, and I chose an F150. The F150 is far from perfect itself, but it drives much nicer than the tacoma, and is just as well made, also parts are easier to get, and cheaper for the F150.

let me guess facebook groups? Those groups foster the best myths and wives tales. The same members are called out on their bs on the actual car group forums, so they less frequent them,

Back