Are PH3614 filters all the same size whereby an filter wrench would work to loosen too tight filters?

I'll add that I've learned to hand tighten the filter on my Subaru so that I can remove it by hand when I do an oil change. Once I start the filter I spin it enough that it reaches the base on its own and stops and then hand tighten a little over a 1/2 turn. I think the "sure grip" end on the Fram filters makes this possible too.

I just took home a SuperTech ST3614, to see if I had an end cap wrench to fit it. This is because the knock off Briggs Stratton equivalent filter (cheap no name without a country-of-origin label) I just bought and installed on my John Deere zero turn--it would NOT fit any end cap tools already in my shop. I'm pleased to say the Walmart equivalent fit perfectly.

The no name knock off is decent, but the end cap flutes just did not match any of my 6 end cap tools. So, it's never again for that buy.

I forgot to consider that. My bad. I have one vehicle whose oil filter must absolutely fit into an end cap removal wrench; that's the only way to get it on and off. I use the half turn method as well.

I just took home a SuperTech ST3614, to see if I had an end cap wrench to fit it. This is because the knock off Briggs Stratton equivalent filter (cheap no name without a country-of-origin label) I just bought and installed on my John Deere zero turn--it would NOT fit any end cap tools already in my shop. I'm pleased to say the Walmart equivalent fit perfectly.

The no name knock off is decent, but the end cap flutes just did not match any of my 6 end cap tools. So, it's never again for that buy.

I forgot to consider that. My bad. I have one vehicle whose oil filter must absolutely fit into an end cap removal wrench; that's the only way to get it on and off. I use the half turn method as well.

I use the filter wrench with 3 claws Rand mentioned. Works well most of the time.

On the few occasions I have had trouble removing an oil filter with an end cap tool or other oil filter wrench, this has always removed the offending filter for me:

Back