Are PH3614 filters all the same size whereby an filter wrench would work to loosen too tight filters?

not necessarily... different Flutes on the Dome.
the plastic cap that worked just fine on the 3614 sized Fram/Wix/ etc for my Neon, didn't work well with the finer flutes on the FL-400 S on for my Sable.
I had to get a Different, Metal, cap for those.

the Fl400s is the same size, just longer, it's a 3600 size.

This $13 Lisle 63600 oil filter tool has never failed to easily remove an oil filter for me.

I would buy a second if the first didn't still work perfectly after years and years.
They wont work on some engines. due to filter location.
but as long as the filter is accessible should work on many.
The 3 jaw/leg type too.
1707338825432.jpg

Lisle 50750 has been tool of choice for years.
I have some knockoffs that are my go to.
but they still wont work on some.. I have a strap wrench you turn with a ratchet for those.

They are a little fiddley to get started but work on some of the harder to reach filters such as the jeep 2.0 when surrounded on 3 sides by the oil pan. Also can work through the access hole to filter on some cars without needing the entire undershield removed.
Obviously if you have an oil pit or lift it can be easier angles vs ramps.
1707339066084.jpg

Cool! I might have to buy one just to try it out.

It is worth every penny... you won't regret it. In fact, after owning the Lisle 63600 tool for a year, I also purchased the Lisle 63250 filter wrench which fits the wider oil filters. After owning both wrenches for ~12 years, they have never failed at removing any oil filter, regardless of tightness.

This $13 Lisle 63600 oil filter tool has never failed to easily remove an oil filter for me.

I would buy a second if the first didn't still work perfectly after years and years.
Those are great wrenches and do the trick with many different filters. I always liked my old time strap wrenches but would buy one of those today if I were still doing lots of the auto work that I used to.

Are all oil filters in PH3614 size the same size regardless of make?
Its all different per manufacturer, I did contacted Fram a few months ago about oil filter wrench sizes, they'll tell you the corresponding diameter and flute count tool that fits their products.
No, Fram puts the grip coating making your wrench not fit.

A 74mm / 76mm - 15 flute cap wrench should work on a PH3614. I have used it on a XG3600 several times without issues which is just a longer PH3614

Only the new Endurance filters have a different cap size due to the different deep draw can tooling design, EG. an FE3600 / FE3614 uses 76mm - 14 flute cap wrench.

I have some knockoffs that are my go to.
but they still wont work on some.. I have a strap wrench you turn with a ratchet for those.

They are a little fiddley to get started but work on some of the harder to reach filters such as the jeep 2.0 when surrounded on 3 sides by the oil pan. Also can work through the access hole to filter on some cars without needing the entire undershield removed.
Obviously if you have an oil pit or lift it can be easier angles vs ramps.
View attachment 202378
Yep. Got one of those too I used for a long time. Like how u can slip a screw driver in the hole to get a little extra leverage. Some guys tell methey use a large jawed cresent wrench tightened down on the metal rod to pull also. Say that works well too.

This looks interesting, similar to the one in post #11, but looks a bit more compact for use in pretty tight places.

Back