Are Firestone filters decent enough to go 7500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFN

I feel comfortable enough running the Kendal GT1 synthetic blend that long..is that filter decent enough so I can get some ROI?

Car is an 06 KIA Specta with 115,000 on it. Been running Mobile conventional for 5K intervals for years.

I have seen it done on police cars through apathy and incompetence. Some had high miles, all were abused, all kept running.

Just found this on their website..I feel comfortable enough to run a 7500 interval with that filter & syn blend.

"Our oil filters are Champions in name and quality. Champion Labs is our trusted supplier of oil filters. Their oil filters not only meet, but typically exceed original equipment requirements for fit, function and quality construction.

Champion Labs is the world’s largest supplier of filters, offering filters for everything from air to fuel to transmission filters. They’re the go-to-choice for many industries including: heavy-duty trucking, construction equipment and mining industries as well as the marine, farm machinery and industrial engine markets."

I had my oil changed at a firestone twice, both times the filters seem to have been purclassic rebanded.

I didnt pay for uber change, just their synth blend kendall.

I wouldnt trust them to go that far... thats my two cent.

If your engine isnt dirty, filter tear shouldnt be an issue anyway.

as long as it is not a Purolator it should be fine.

I wouldn't hesitate to run orange can or napa pro select/silver to a 7500 mile OCI

IMO, any filter that cant go at least 7500 miles should only be sold in the Dollar Store.
49.gif

Firestone filter are Champ made and basically the same and most likely identical to the STP line sold in AZ. They are also used at Wally TLE, except those have texture coating. Also the Fram Defense line now appears to be the same, having moved from the fiber endcap line.

Some Firestone/STP filters are ecore construction. However, for your car the S2808 would be the spec'd application and it is classic metal endcap construction. As shown in the link *, I ran an S2808 8k miles and it held up fine. That said, it's no media area champ, basically a typical jobber/quick lube tier filter. In other words it's an adequate filter.

* http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2812186

I cut one open with 7500+ miles. How much more, I don't know... moms car. Seemed very well built IMO and didn't create start up noise in the "picky" Elantra.

Originally Posted By: LFN
Just found this on their website..I feel comfortable enough to run a 7500 interval with that filter & syn blend.

"Our oil filters are Champions in name and quality. Champion Labs is our trusted supplier of oil filters. Their oil filters not only meet, but typically exceed original equipment requirements for fit, function and quality construction.

Champion Labs is the world’s largest supplier of filters, offering filters for everything from air to fuel to transmission filters. They’re the go-to-choice for many industries including: heavy-duty trucking, construction equipment and mining industries as well as the marine, farm machinery and industrial engine markets."

^^^This is good to know, since my older son had a Firestone special done on his 3.4 Torrent about a half a year ago with one of these fiters, and the GT1 blend.

He put about 6K miles on it, and I just last week changed it out with some Sino Mart bought M1 5W-30 EP and a Fram Ultra.

I told him that this one HAS TO stay in there for at least 11K miles, or he is throwing his money away!
wink.gif

Jobber/STP Champion isn't a great filter by any stretch.

It will have fewer pleats than an AC/Delco for the same application.

I'd be 5,000 mile max. on that oil/filter combo.

I'd feel better at 4,000 miles.

About 3 years ago I bought a 97 Accord with plenty of miles on the odo. It came with Kendall oil and (I think 3593A) Firestone/Champion filter. The latest receipt I could find indicated that it had about 9k mi and 1 year on the oil/filter. That filter was torn and toast, torn Purolators look great compared to that sucker. Unsurpringly, I later found the engine had a knock when hot.
While my example is of obvious abuse, I would not go past 3k on the 3593A Champion base filters, based on my experience with identical WallyWorld filters. Maybe their filters for other applications are better...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back