Are early oil changes bad on new cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've done well. I'm in the early change camp; and NOT because I regularly purchase new cars or because of anything I've read on BITOG. There are other sources of information on the internet. Google Jim Fitch. http://www.noria.com/team/jim-fitch/

Jim Fitch has written more books, holds more patents, and has had more technical papers published than all of the armchair triboligists on BITOG combined. Mr. Fitch favors early change out on factory fill (multiple times) and has said so in his book "How to select an oil and Filter for Your Car or Truck."

This is unsettled. Read this thread for information and amusement: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4046674/Re:_Break-in_for_new_vehicles#Post4046674

Spend 5 minutes if you wish and watch "modern" engine manufacturing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXVLbzI3xTE

Bottom line: I agree with what has already been stated, do whatever lets you sleep at night.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
If early changes were needed I would think manufacturers would recommend it.
\

If it truly (significantly) affected reliability during the warranty period or say 100k miles, yes. The improvement by an early change is probably not going to show up by that metric.. even if prudent and possibly leading to longer, healthier engine life.

I have owned over 87 new cars. At best, early oil changes (I always do the first at 1000 miles), will get out all the break-in garbage. At worst ... well IMO there is no worst. Fresh oil (and filter of course) early will have no detrimental effect on the engine in modern cars. Well worth the cost when compared to the price of the car if you care about your car. If you care more about time, money, and resources, then, by all means, leave the factory oil in there as long as possible. Be sure to spend any money you save on oil on UOAs to get the last day and mile out of your oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Ive owned over 60 new cars. At its best Early factory oil change is a waste of time money and resources, at its worst it will extend or preclude proper engine wear in.

And other than your word, have you any objective evidence to back your claims? Out of "60 new cars" how many used oil analyses have you done on factory fill when you choose to drain it? I find your statements arguments from authority and unfounded in objective evidence. Please prove me wrong and post UOA documenting your vast experience with new vehicles and proper change out of factory fill? And then, on the other end, with 60 new cars in your purchase history, how many cars have you owned past the warranty period so you know the long term benefits/harm in what is being discussed? Technical evidence, please.
23.gif

Here is the issue: All we have in this thread is a lot of personal anecdotes with no data. 98% of the car buying public doesn't change the factory fill early even if they are good at maintaining their cars. The vast majority of these cars never have an oil related problem.

If you think that manufacturers are making factory fills part of planned obsolescence then you are way too conspiratorial. Perhaps GM in the 80s thought this was a good idea, but the Japanese did away with the acceptance of this behavior.

So should you change it early. Based on the car buying public's results, then no. I personally don't and have never had an issue. But if you decide to change it early, realize you are probably going against factory recommendations in order to ease your neurosis.

Here is a factory fill (#1) that I wish I had drained earlier. Seeing the circulating copper and silicon the came out made me feel better, not to mention the weak add pack. Phosphorus was not even up to API/SAE minimum specs.

Albeit a diesel, VW states the FF on the Gen3 engines is 10,000 miles. It was difficult for me, but that's exactly what I did with my Passat.

Most folks at Fred's Tdi forum seem to agree with this.

Makes me wonder if the first run of that engine is on a test bed, then drained and refilled before going into a new vehicle? Some can't even get their heads around a 10k OCI as the normal OCI, let alone the first.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: doyall
Here is a factory fill (#1) that I wish I had drained earlier. Seeing the circulating copper and silicon the came out made me feel better, not to mention the weak add pack. Phosphorus was not even up to API/SAE minimum specs.

How many miles were on your Jeep when you dumped the factory fill? (Forgive me if it's on the report. I'm not seeing it)

Originally Posted By: sohccammer427
How many miles were on your Jeep when you dumped the factory fill? (Forgive me if it's on the report. I'm not seeing it)

1,929 miles.

I'm sort of in the middle of this discussion. I've moved from changing FF at 1K miles to 1/2 the normal oil change. If the manufacture suggest 7,500 for normal driving then my first change will be ~ 3,200 and the second at 2,300 and then 7,500 from then on. all this is forgotten IF the manufactures warns against early changes like Honda & Acuras, then I follow recommendation. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I'm sort of in the middle of this discussion. I've moved from changing FF at 1K miles to 1/2 the normal oil change. If the manufacture suggest 7,500 for normal driving then my first change will be ~ 3,200 and the second at 2,300 and then 7,500 from then on. all this is forgotten IF the manufactures warns against early changes like Honda & Acuras, then I follow recommendation. Ed

I feel the same way....I basically split the difference between dumping it "early" ( ~1000 miles ) and a regular OCI...which for me is usually 5K miles. So, I dump the factory fill at around 2500 miles. I agree with the concept that there probably is no universal right or wrong answer depending on the vehicle and manufacturer recommendations. It seems manufacturer break-in oil is largely a thing of the past and I view dumping FF in a similar context unless the manufacturer advises one way or another.

I used to change early but now dont. My new 2017 will ride the OLM all the way to zero for the first change. It is on track for the 24,000km. The manual says dont bother and I figure if there is anything big enough to damage the engine, well thats what the oil filter is for.

I check the level every fuel up and so far no change. This thing is not making oil or using any. Or it is using oil at a rate it is making oil.....

I'm in the dump around 1k, then again around 4K. Push it hard once warmed up, you want to load the rings. Your OM will say something about varying speeds a lot in the first xxxx miles and not cruising under light throttle. Open it up.

On my 2017 Elantra going with the 3,750 or 6 month severe oil change schedule the dealership and Hyundai recommends. Not dumping oil early. I am going to have dealer do oil changes and drive about 7,000 miles a year. I have a 10 year warranty to take care of engine failure.

Now, if I was doing oil changes myself and doing a lot of miles per year I would dump the oil early. More for psychological well being.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
35.gif

Indeed.

Bad? No. Fresh oil doesn't hurt, especially at break in.

Good? Unknown. If I hit the lotto I'll do a test.

my 14 Sportage was changed at 1300,3200 ,5300 and still showed elevated copper at 11500.
Three UOA's have been done so far 5300,11500 and 32500. the last one was good so no worries.
factor filters have been used all the time and are apparently made by Mann.

Change it early?
Sure, why not.
Leave it for a normal interval?
That's what most manufacturers recommend, but what do they know?
I was always a fan of early changes on a new engine, but I left the FF in our '12 Accord down to 15% MM since that's what Honda adamantly recommended.
They built the engine and know it better than do I, Jim Fitch or any other source.
I doubt that an early drain will extend engine life and Arco might be on to something in asserting that fine metal particles in the oil might actually aid break-in.
IDK, but Honda surely does.

Originally Posted By: doyall

Does this have an oil cooler?

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Depends on the car really. Some companies say you MUST not do the first oil change early (like Honda), or engine damage will occur. Others, like the BMW M series require their first oil change quite early, at 1500 miles.

Must not? Engine damage? Sounds like a bit of an exaggeration.

//

Are there really that many NEW cars shedding actual, visible wear products? I've only cut open two turbo Subaru initial fills and neither had anything of note in the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back