Are CVT’s something to stay away from?

Honda CVTs are all in-house, made in Japan or Russell’s Point, OH. Longevity seems to be good - no posts here of grenading Honda CVTs and they seem to handle the torque of the 1.5T L15 engine fine. They are easier to do spill and fills on - no scan tool needed to access fluid temp, fluid level is set at the check plug.

Caveat emptor - Honda calls for 2 fluids, their old-school CVTF for the first two Insights, CR-Z and Civic Hybrid. HCF-2 is used for everything else. There are aftermarket CVTFs out there, use at your own risk.
Appreciate the reply.

The only transmission that Honda did not design or build in-house was the ZF 9 speed used in several V6 models from Honda/Acura. Otherwise all of heir trannies are an in-house to my knowledge.
I am sold on Toyota's CVT's; can anyone tell me of the CVT in Honda's CRV? Do they make them in house? Any ideas on longevity?
Yes the CR-V has a CVT and is an easy spill & fill with some help from YouTube. They show decent reliability.

I don't lease vehicles, so that pricing structure is of no concern to me. Thanks for the info, though. I have an almost perfect credit score and very nice income and I bought 2021 Nissan Altima for my wife. Super nice vehicle, reasonably priced, and looks and feels premium. Most people who buy them in my area are well-to-do, so I would say your argument isn't valid in my neck of the woods.
In the 2019 and up Altima, 4 cylinder CVTs are strenghted to match the previous generations V6 CVT s (which have a good trackrecord of their own with the V6s)

Last edited:
The $200 down, $200/month leases kinda indicate that. They must have been doing the leases at a loss to keep people out of car ownership and a never ending cycle of leases ...
Do you think Nissan is so socially motivated to sell or finance cars at an planned loss? Doubt that.

The CVT in my Nissan was awesome! The Subaru feels different, it doesn't have as much engine braking, but it's early in the game. The software update was yesterday so I'm still getting used to this CVT.

The US/Canada Fit was the L15 and your choice of a 5-speed automatic or manual. And Honda marketed it as a “economy” car, but the MPG for its size wasn’t spectacular, it was stickered for 32/36 IIRC. The Civic got nearly the same MPG. I worked at a Honda dealer during the 2008-2009 Great Recession - while Honda wanted the younger generation to buy Fits, we got a lot of 50-70 year olds who bought them. Then, the Prius was en vogue during $5/gallon gas but also had a huge waiting list and dealers were marking them up by $5-10K. Many of the people who bought Fits from us didn’t want to wait or pay the markup for a Prius(but there were fine laying a $500-1000 markup with us) but didn’t want to gamble with a Honda hybrid. Only 10% of the Civics we sold were hybrid. The Civic Hybrid came with the dual-spark version of the L13 I think.
Let's face the facts-hardly anybody bought these penalty boxes. They were TERRIBLE-even for econo cars.

Let's face the facts-hardly anybody bought these penalty boxes. They were TERRIBLE-even for econo cars.
You’d be surprised - a lot of them in the cities - they are a great city car, and a lot more dependable than a Mini(which was marketed to urban dwellers). When parking is a premium, they seem to fit in small spaces.

I’ve been in a few Sparks, Versas, Fiestas and Prius Cs as Ubers and those are cramped. The Fit is still an econobox but it’s surprisingly roomy. I’ve seen people make IKEA and Home Depot runs, and even move in Fits.

If it's the CVT/CVT2/JF011E/RE0F10A that was shoved behind GEMA engined Compass/Patriot/Caliber, yes :poop:

I've gotta drive a 70k old example in a Patriot for work

...hate that transmission

I've driven it in Calibers, it's no better :mad:

If it's the CVT/CVT2/JF011E/RE0F10A that was shoved behind GEMA engined Compass/Patriot/Caliber, yes :poop:

I've gotta drive a 70k old example in a Patriot for work

...hate that transmission

I've driven it in Calibers, it's no better :mad:
“Rubber band” doesn’t even begin to describe them. bbbbwwwwaaaaAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

The only transmission that Honda did not design or build in-house was the ZF 9 speed used in several V6 models from Honda/Acura. Otherwise all of heir trannies are an in-house to my knowledge.

Yes the CR-V has a CVT and is an easy spill & fill with some help from YouTube. They show decent reliability.
Thanks so much for the reply.

When you say "decent," I construe that to mean that it would not dissuade you from owning a Honda CR-V? My Parents are older, and they keep their vehicles longterm.

I am leery about CVT's, because - and as much as I know posters whose experience is contrary to that of my friends and family - Jatco's were simply horrible, in my view.

Thanks so much for the reply.

When you say "decent," I construe that to mean that it would not dissuade you from owning a Honda CR-V? My Parents are older, and they keep their vehicles longterm.

I am leery about CVT's, because - and as much as I know posters whose experience is contrary to that of my friends and family - Jatco's were simply horrible, in my view.
Honda's CVTs are g2g.

Reactions: NDL
NDL: When you say "decent," I construe that to mean that it would not dissuade you from owning a Honda CR-V? My Parents are older, and they keep their vehicles longterm.

CB: I would own a CR-V in a minute it it were my type of vehicle. However I am not in the SUV camp even though my wife is and we’ve owned one(Lexus RX). I like a sedan. We have owned several Honda vehicles and IMO, every mfg has tranny failures.

Last month my daughter spent 5K to replace the cvt in her Nissan Rogue
And that transmission has been serviced and two fluid changes. 110,000 or so miles on tranny
:mad:

Or is their bad reputation something just from the web? Just curious as many new vehicles are coming with them.

Disclaimer. Ive never driven one so I have no idea how they even handle. Having not owned one, I am not sure on their service life either.
CVTs are fine as long as you stick to good ones. Honda and Toyota CVTs are good, Nissan CVTs are bad.

First off Nissan is undergoing an absolute slew of lawsuits related to their CVTs. Chances are pretty solid that most of you who have paid for one will be getting some type of financial compensation.

My name is Steven Lang and I co-developed the Long-Term Quality Index. We have recorded over three million vehicles that have been inspected and appraised by professional mechanics, and one of the areas we serve are class action lawsuits. Direct injection engines, timing chains, high pressure fuel pumps, small engine turbos, transmission software issues and CVTs tend to be the most problematic issues when it comes to modern day powertrains.

If I had to recommend one CVT it would be the one in the prior gen Toyota Corolla. Other than that, it took a long time before anyone even achieved an average reliability score when it comes to the CVT.

Google 'long-term quality' and you'll find our work. All the best!

Mazda CX5 for the parents. The 2nd trim might be a good match for your parents if they can get past the firm ride.

Pros: Proven 2.5 NA engine + 6-speed convention transmission. Revised styling for 2022. Dual HVAC and heated seats in the 2nd trim level and up. No start-stop in CX5. Quiet. Great LED headlights. Only compact crossover w/5-star IIHS rating for collision safety.

Cons: taut suspension, if you live in an area with bad roads, the ride might get annoying. Radio controls are buried under a screen menu.

maybe con: CX5 has growling (in a good way if you're younger) engine noise during acceleration. (CRV also has a growling acceleration---in a bad way)

CRV has a much more forgiving ride and better MPG...if you can get past the 1.5L turbo and CVT. Both have the same amount of safety tech.

Last edited:
This is getting away a little bit from the OPs original post but I haven't seen the OP respond/chime in since posting. Sooooo anywaaaay...

IDK how old NDL's parents are but they need to sit in, look out & test drive any of new SUVs that they're considering or is being recommended to them. It's not about which vehicle scores higher according to the Automotive PRESS, it's about which vehicle is right for them and more than just one or two, or even three things.

If they are considering a Compact SUV(RAV, CRV, CX5, Rogue, Equinox etc., size vehicle) and yes, this size is considered COMPACT, They Are All Good!
But it's about everyday livability and normal-ness. How about which vehicle is easiest to ingress/egress for parents? Does it deliver its power the way they like?
Again, IDK how old they are. It's different for parents in their 50s and even more different for parents in their 70s. It's not about which one is better(again, they're all good), it's about which one is right for them.

Last edited:
Honda's CVTs are g2g.
NDL: When you say "decent," I construe that to mean that it would not dissuade you from owning a Honda CR-V? My Parents are older, and they keep their vehicles longterm.

CB: I would own a CR-V in a minute it it were my type of vehicle. However I am not in the SUV camp even though my wife is and we’ve owned one(Lexus RX). I like a sedan. We have owned several Honda vehicles and IMO, every mfg has tranny failures.
Thank you both.

Mazda CX5 for the parents. The 2nd trim might be a good match for your parents if they can get past the firm ride.

Pros: Proven 2.5 NA engine + 6-speed convention transmission. Revised styling for 2022. Dual HVAC and heated seats in the 2nd trim level and up. No start-stop in CX5. Quiet. Great LED headlights. Only compact crossover w/5-star IIHS rating for collision safety.

Cons: taut suspension, if you live in an area with bad roads, the ride might get annoying. Radio controls are buried under a screen menu.

maybe con: CX5 has growling (in a good way if you're younger) engine noise during acceleration. (CRV also has a growling acceleration---in a bad way)

CRV has a much more forgiving ride and better MPG...if you can get past the 1.5L turbo and CVT. Both have the same amount of safety tech.

Appreciate the suggestion; I have a high opinion of Mazda products. For them however, one issue is that they like the convenience of having a nearby dealership to service the vehicle; they also favor a more compliant ride. Finally, they like vehicles with simple controls for the radio/hvac; the CR-V has all three qualities.

I will take a look at the CX5 however; thanks for suggesting it.

Thank you both.

Appreciate the suggestion; I have a high opinion of Mazda products. For them however, one issue is that they like the convenience of having a nearby dealership to service the vehicle; they also favor a more compliant ride. Finally, they like vehicles with simple controls for the radio/hvac; the CR-V has all three qualities.

I will take a look at the CX5 however; thanks for suggesting it.
The only reason we got the CRV was because of the 90* open rear doors for the kids and car seats. If the CRV didn’t have that or the CX5 did, we were getting the CX5.

Back