Are Amsoil EAO Filters Actually Better?

garageman402

$100 Site Donor 2024
Amsoil EAO filters tout 99% filtration @20microns, but the test done by Ascent Filtration Labs shows Fram XG 99% @15microns. For the price, I would hope Amsoil is a better quality filter, but Fram seems to filter down pretty well.

Any thoughts?

I've never been especially impressed with the filtration efficiency of the Amsoil filters. They may be constructed extremely well, IDK, but the pre-buyout Fram Ultras were VASTLY better-filtering products. My understanding is that the Ultras changed media and _may_ no longer filter anywhere near as well as they used to. I'm uncertain, though.

My understanding is that the Ultras changed media and _may_ no longer filter anywhere near as well as they used to. I'm uncertain, though.
Fram claims the new media filters better at some micron sizes, when comparing the same filter model number - there have been some threads about that.

There is zero evidence that the new Ultra media "no longer filters anywhere near as well as they use to". That's how misinformation grows legs.

The new Ultra is still rated at 99+% @ 20μ and up to 20K miles, so that blows that theory out of the water.

Edit: Corrected Ultra efficiency.

Last edited:
Fram claims the new media filters better at some micron sizes, when comparing the same filter model number - there have been some threads about that.

There is zero evidence that the new Ultra media "no longer filters anywhere near as well as they use to". That's how misinformation grows legs.

The new Ultra is still rated at 90+% @ 20μ and up to 20K miles, so that blows that theory out of the water.
90%+ @20microns? The test Ascent Labs did showed 99%+ @15microns. Has it gotten that bad?

90%+ @20microns? The test Ascent Labs did showed 99%+ @15microns. Has it gotten that bad?
Fat fingered, posting on my phone. Corrected that post. The new Ultra media is still rated at 99+% @ 20μ on Fram's website.

So in your opinion, the Fram would filter better than the Amsoil?
IMO, probably slightly better - but it's mostly hair spitting at that efficiency level. If Amsoil references the ISO efficiency base on just one large filter model, then I'd say the Fram is a little more efficient. Fram bases the ISO efficiency on the average of 3 different filter sizes, which means it's a more accurate efficiency rating across all sizes. The testing that Ascent Filtering Testing did was the model of filters for the same engine, so they were all about the same size, which made it a good efficiency comparison.

I've never been especially impressed with the filtration efficiency of the Amsoil filters. They may be constructed extremely well, IDK, but the pre-buyout Fram Ultras were VASTLY better-filtering products. My understanding is that the Ultras changed media and _may_ no longer filter anywhere near as well as they used to. I'm uncertain, though.
AMSOIL used to market them at 99% at 15 microns. I've never seen anything that would indicate that they are inferior, filtration-wise, to the Ultra, but the Ultra was half the price for the same advertised efficiency and style of media, which definitely made it a much better deal.

I mean, the Amsoil filter is $23.95 plus tax and shipping for my car. So that’s at least $30 or so. Is it better than a Fram Ultra? Maybe? If so, is it worth 3 times the price? I can get an Ultra for $10. Then, Overkill posts an Amsoil filter with bad louvers? Hell to the nah……
PC cost is much better, but yes, they are expensive. Current FRAM deal is the Titanium, which is the OG Ultra media, but available at AutoZone IIRC. Up here, the EaO is about 2x the price of the Ultra, so the Ultra was the obvious choice when it was also a synthetic media filter. We don't have AutoZone, so we can't get the Titanium.

PC cost is much better, but yes, they are expensive. Current FRAM deal is the Titanium, which is the OG Ultra media, but available at AutoZone IIRC. Up here, the EaO is about 2x the price of the Ultra, so the Ultra was the obvious choice when it was also a synthetic media filter. We don't have AutoZone, so we can't get the Titanium.
AAP is where titanium are sold

Amsoil EAO filters tout 99% filtration @20microns, but the test done by Ascent Filtration Labs shows Fram XG 99% @15microns. For the price, I would hope Amsoil is a better quality filter, but Fram seems to filter down pretty well.

Any thoughts?
The XG has been changed.

The XG has been changed.
Fram’s site shows the filtration is finer with the new media. Both Fram & Amsoil advertise the same efficiency: 99% @ 20microns.
Ya I ordered some oil from Amsoil, the shipping is free, so I added a couple of filters. PC price is $17.60, the equivalent Fram XG is $9.32 on Amazon with subscribe & save & I get 5% for using my Amazon Store Card. So if they are equal, the Fram XG is definitely the way to go.

Fram’s site shows the filtration is finer with the new media. Both Fram & Amsoil advertise the same efficiency: 99% @ 20microns.

Ya I ordered some oil from Amsoil, the shipping is free, so I added a couple of filters. PC price is $17.60, the equivalent Fram XG is $9.32 on Amazon with subscribe & save & I get 5% for using my Amazon Store Card. So if they are equal, the Fram XG is definitely the way to go.
The TG also offers the same 99% @ 20 microns efficiency as the Ultra and Titanium, the difference is that only the Titanium now has the synthetic glass media that was used in the original Ultra (which is similar to what's in the EaO).

The TG also offers the same 99% @ 20 microns efficiency as the Ultra and Titanium, the difference is that only the Titanium now has the synthetic glass media that was used in the original Ultra (which is similar to what's in the EaO).
Ya AAP has some deals, but you have to time it right. Sometimes they offer 20% off, and over $75 free shipping. I used to buy all my filters there when I was buying Pure One. Now at Amazon Fram XG is cheaper. But I don't think AAP carries Fram XG.

In Canada, with the VAT, it may not be cheaper to order from them.

The TG also offers the same 99% @ 20 microns efficiency as the Ultra and Titanium
Actually, the Ultra and Titanium are shown as 99+% at 20u on Fram's website ... and the TG is 99% @ 20u. Like shown in Ascent Filter Testing, the Ultra was better than 99% @ 20u ... so Fram just calls it "99+" percent.

Actually, the Ultra and Titanium are shown as 99+% at 20u on Fram's website ... and the TG is 99% @ 20u. Like shown in Ascent Filter Testing, the Ultra was better than 99% @ 20u ... so Fram just calls it "99+" percent.
Ahhhh, the little + symbol, lol. Did they test the TG too?

Back