Are all SM dino oils good for 5k OCI??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

hey Slick, where in Canada are you from? where is the Maxlife sale? I wouldn't mind grabbing a few jugs for my work van! I'm in Toronto.

and in regards to your wife's TDI... LM 5W-40 is a great oil. i used it in my BMW. but those are some long OCI's your running and on a turbo diesel. sounds like a bit of a risky move. i would definitely say do a UOA for that car, just to make sure your OCI's aren't too long.

Calgary Alberta....It is on sale at my local Walmart, they also have the full synthetic at a very appealing price compared to other syns.

The TDI had an ARX done to it a couple years back and when the timing belt was replaced my mechanic said the internals were in great shape. The one thing to be wary about is the intake clogging up...head to tear it off along with the egr valve and give a good once over with karosene. Took it back to my mechanic and had them adjust the egr so it wouldn't do that again.

Quote:

Can you keep the oil spotlessly clean for 5000 miles? I haven't found a way to that yet in my vehicles; I have to change it every 4 months.

It starts to darken at about 4000kms or 2400 miles, but it ever turns black....pretty close though. I just assume the oil is doing it's job for that matter.

Quote:

5,000 miles is 8,047kms. I don't think there are any OEM oci's that short in Australia and dealers use SM dino. Most oci's are 12,500kms and 15,000kms and I think somebody has a 20,000kms oci.

WOW! Are you taking about Ford Australia recommendations on their mod motors?

BTW...you Aussies get all the goodies for Ford's V8 lines, dohc with over 350hp at the wheels!

kmost people here would agree that even the cheapest generic oil that is api sm certified can make it 5000 miles with room to spare. alot of cars these days spec 10,000 mile oil changes with a filter done every other oil change. all this on cheap api sm oil.
just look for the little api donut on the bottle to be sure its the real deal and not some accel nd oil thats recomended for bla bla bla but isnt really made for it.

All vendors not just Ford. Yes we make great cars in Australia, far better then the Ford/GM stuff you get in America. Ford are upping the ante with new engines up to 320kw. I want one!

Quote:

5,000 miles is 8,047kms. I don't think there are any OEM oci's that short in Australia and dealers use SM dino. Most oci's are 12,500kms and 15,000kms and I think somebody has a 20,000kms oci.

Same situation here in Europe. A car that doesn't have at least 15000 km OCI is going to be difficult to sell..
Most new cars has really long OCI's (gasoline max 30000 km/diesel max 50000 km) backed by an OLM system and the use of synthetic oil.

If the bottle has SM/GF-4 on it, then it's good for at least 8,000 miles. Please see the Consumer Reports oil test published in 1996. Oil is a commodity and the advertising/marketing is the only difference in today's excellent oils.

Found some formula shell 5w30 on sale for $7.99 cdn a jug....sounds like it's the winner for me. Don't see too many people talking about this stuff....I'm sure it is good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back