Are all SM dino oils good for 5k OCI??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so happens it works out to two changes a year for my driving habits, one in the winter and early summer. My question, I use GTX 5W20/30 for my 5.4l and I assume it is pretty good oil for that matter, but I'm cheap, and when my stash is finally gone it will be time for the next stock-up on the next big sale....so what if I decide to buy some Super Tech? Can I just go and look at the back of the bottle and see the SM and not even worry about it?

BTW.....I don't have time to do an UOA, I just want to pour it in and not worry about it.
canada.gif

just look for sales for gtx, penzoil, havoline ds. those i am pretty confident will go 5k miles with little problems. you guys in canada do not have the sales that we have here. ST is ok but its not that much cheaper than a well named oil

I would say yes.

Just look for SM/GF-4 on the bottle. The new spec's have forced the use of Group II/II+ oils for 5w-20/5w-30's. I consider even the No-Name brand at Superstore (made by Shell) or SuperTech SM labeled to be good oils these days.

Are you referring to 5k kilometers or 5k miles oil change?

In a non-turbocharged engine, I would generally run any SM 5W-30 5k miles (8000km). So if you are only referring to 5k km (3000 miles) -- that should be relatively easy.

Another motor oil you might consider is Esso Extra -- a well priced brand name that you don't have to wait for a sale. They have the 4.4l and 5.0l jugs (superstore/Walmart) -- that comes out to under $3 a liter.

Yes. The SM standards are all about extending drain intervals and energy conservation. I would have no problem running them longer in a vehicle with an OLM, such as GM's. The OLM's are calibrated to the mfg's spec (such as GM 6094).If it calls for dino, you're good to go. The differences from one SM brand to another are not particularly significant IMHO. Mainly the marketing and "feel good" factor...which is as good a reason as any to purchase a particular brand.

Quote:

I would say yes.

Just look for SM/GF-4 on the bottle. The new spec's have forced the use of Group II/II+ oils for 5w-20/5w-30's. I consider even the No-Name brand at Superstore (made by Shell) or SuperTech SM labeled to be good oils these days.

Are you referring to 5k kilometers or 5k miles oil change?

In a non-turbocharged engine, I would generally run any SM 5W-30 5k miles (8000km). So if you are only referring to 5k km (3000 miles) -- that should be relatively easy.

Sorry to everyone, I did mean 5000 miles...I generally post in imperial due to fact that most members on this site are american.

I have seen several UOA's and for the most part they are all some what good, but I am a flyer freak and when I see an oil on sale I start getting twitchy....I guess i have this site to thank for that.

The GTX has served me well but when it is normally $16-$17 for a 5 litre jug compare to the $10 a jug sale a walmart a few years back, I has kept me from sticking to one kind of oil. I can't justify spending too much money when I generally buy the whole shelf when a really good sale is on....it can get expensive very quickly. I do have my eye on Maxlife 5W30 blend on sale right now, it is a little bit more expensive than your standard dinos but I heard it is well worth it. The only think that worries me is cold weather start-up on a vehicle that recommends 5W20. Should I worry?

Maxlife has decent cold weather properties; on par with any conventional 5w and a lower pour point thanks to the synthetic blend. They do have a Maxlife 5w-20 now as well.

I wouldn't worry

5.4L engine. What's that? That doesn't tell much.

Engines that are hard on oil or driven in severe conditions cannot go 5K miles on all SM dino oils and keep it indefinitely clean inside. Some can't even go 5K miles on some synthetics and keep the engine clean. My VW 1.8T is an example.

Oops, I just saw your username. It's a Ford 5.4L F150. Not hard on oil from what I've heard. 5K miles should be fine in most cases.

Quote:

Maxlife has decent cold weather properties; on par with any conventional 5w and a lower pour point thanks to the synthetic blend. They do have a Maxlife 5w-20 now as well.

I wouldn't worry

Great! Not only do you guys (americans) get the bargains, but also the variety. I still haven't seen Havoline 5w20 up here yet and I know it has been around for ages....I doubt we'll see Maxlife 5W20 for some time, but that would be optimal for my truck and the weather conditions I see.
banana.gif

Right you are. 4.6/5.4 Modular engines are very easy on oil. Having serviced literally thousands of these engines over the years, I've yet to see one sludge under any circumstances. Some come standard equipment with light piston slap that never goes away and never gets worse. They just run and run.

Quote:

Hey Slick! I think waiting for a sale and then stocking up is a better than using ST...

Funny you should say that, I have noticed the prices of ST creaping up it and isn't that much of a savings compared to other house hold names.

I have one jug of 5w20 GTX left for the winter fill, I'll give it another couple weeks of hunting for some deals, and if nothing catches my eye, I'll give the Maxlife a go.

Thanx to all for your help.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Engines that are hard on oil or driven in severe conditions cannot go 5K miles on all SM dino oils and keep it indefinitely clean inside. Some can't even go 5K miles on some synthetics and keep the engine clean. My VW 1.8T is an example.

That scares me a bit!! My wife has a TDI an I use Lubro-moly 5W40 sythetic and go 8k miles changes with a filter change half way through.

Can you keep the oil spotlessly clean for 5000 miles? I haven't found a way to that yet in my vehicles; I have to change it every 4 months.

5,000 miles is 8,047kms. I don't think there are any OEM oci's that short in Australia and dealers use SM dino. Most oci's are 12,500kms and 15,000kms and I think somebody has a 20,000kms oci.

Quote:

Quote:

That scares me a bit!! My wife has a TDI an I use Lubro-moly 5W40 sythetic and go 8k miles changes with a filter change half way through.

If you can get it, Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT or Delvac 1 is THE oil to use in the TDI (version prior to PD). Don't worry too much, the TDI and the 1.8T are different in how hard they are on the oil. 1.8T is harder on oil IMO. Plenty of TDI info on this sight if you search for it.

hey Slick, where in Canada are you from? where is the Maxlife sale? I wouldn't mind grabbing a few jugs for my work van! I'm in Toronto.

and in regards to your wife's TDI... LM 5W-40 is a great oil. i used it in my BMW. but those are some long OCI's your running and on a turbo diesel. sounds like a bit of a risky move. i would definitely say do a UOA for that car, just to make sure your OCI's aren't too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back