Are AAA Car batteries Junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got stranded with a dead battery and called AAA. They came out and replaced it (very expensive battery at $180 but it is a Group 94R). Now After googling AAA batteries, all I am seeing is what a horror show these batteries are and how AAA will use any excuse possible not to honor the warranty on them. I could not find one comment from anyone that was happy with them. Anybody here have any experience with these?

I know a few people who have them....no issues that I know of...

Made by JC I think...maybe those batteries were left in the van too long?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Never heard of AAA batteries. I thought they jumped you and sent you on your way.

If you Platinum level service or whatever the highest is, you keep the battery.

My wifes Escalade battery died while she was on a road trip. Called AAA and they replaced it on the spot. Since I was 600 miles away and it was night I don't blame her.

I would have much preferred her to choose a brand with more recognition (Optima, DieHard, Interstate, etc) based upon their availability and warranty.

However, her AAA battery came with a comparable warranty to the big-name brands (DieHard, Interstate).

I have no bad comments to say about it. It was a little on the expensive side, but for a guy to come test her alternator, battery, and install it in a parking lot in the middle of the night its worth it for my wifes safety/peace of mind.

If my car died tonight in my driveway, would I get one? No. Its somewhat expensive and I know there are "better" (i.e. better marketed brands) out there for less cost with similar warranty.

If I were 500 miles away and had to call AAA because my car died would I get one if the guy ran a diagnostic on my car and discovered it was a battery? Absolutely

AAA simply relabels batteries that are sought from one of the major battery manufacturers..

Therefore there are no real "junk" batteries, just that some are aligned toward the budget end of the spectrum, some on the "elite" end, and everything in between.

The quality is one that AAA has picked for the target market, and at $180, I don't see that being anything remotely budget-oriented. Sure, their markup is probably sky high, so at worst I think you have a middle of the road store-brand "Gold" equivalent, which should last a long time and perform well.

When I last saw one, I could have sworn it was made by Johnson Controls but that was a year or two ago.

AAA likely chooses the manufacturer by region.

Since they have to keep a fairly large number of different size and shape batteries on hand, It can be assumed that some batteries are pretty old.

Since flooded batteries self discharge ~15% every month at 75f, it is reasonable to assume that one could get a battery which has slowly self discharged to some degree, perhaps a significant degree.

Given the fact that when under 80% charged, the sulfates on the plate begin to harden, and since I also doubt Each AAA center actually keeps a battery float charged while waiting for a call out, that new AAA battery has likely already lost some portion of it's capacity before installation.

Then of course there is the fact that while alternators do a pretty good job at keeping a nearly fully charged battery at or near full charge, they are notoriously bad at bringing a battery from 80% to 100% charged. Short trip driving will not do it. Looooong highway drives might.

Always put a charger on each 'new' battery installed. Anytime you know you discharged the battery some, or a lot, use the charger when you can, preferably soon as you can.

The less a lead acid battery is discharged, and the longer it stays at or near full charge, the longer it's life.

Either the owner can pretend the vehicle is keeping it fully charged, or occasionally makes sure it is. Or, one could just ignore the battery, and then pay AAA too much the next time a battery does not live long enough.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
AAA likely chooses the manufacturer by region.

Since they have to keep a fairly large number of different size and shape batteries on hand, It can be assumed that some batteries are pretty old.

Since flooded batteries self discharge ~15% every month at 75f, it is reasonable to assume that one could get a battery which has slowly self discharged to some degree, perhaps a significant degree.

Given the fact that when under 80% charged, the sulfates on the plate begin to harden, and since I also doubt Each AAA center actually keeps a battery float charged while waiting for a call out, that new AAA battery has likely already lost some portion of it's capacity before installation.

Then of course there is the fact that while alternators do a pretty good job at keeping a nearly fully charged battery at or near full charge, they are notoriously bad at bringing a battery from 80% to 100% charged. Short trip driving will not do it. Looooong highway drives might.

Always put a charger on each 'new' battery installed. Anytime you know you discharged the battery some, or a lot, use the charger when you can, preferably soon as you can.

The less a lead acid battery is discharged, and the longer it stays at or near full charge, the longer it's life.

Either the owner can pretend the vehicle is keeping it fully charged, or occasionally makes sure it is. Or, one could just ignore the battery, and then pay AAA too much the next time a battery does not live long enough.

Excellent point and very valid statements about the discharge rates/etc.

Also, Most people using the AAA service are more concerned with convenience/safety rather than thinking about the actual brand of battery.

Just my .02 Cents

I work at a trucking company, i refuel trucks using a tank truck, and i am in charge of the battery charge/test center (aka we got a autometer battery charger that automaticaly charges batteries and a battery tester that is hand held) for batteries taken off trucks. You will see many batteries come through that way, we mostly buy Interstate Batteries (johnson controls) so i see plenty of their stuff even if it isn't with the Interstate brand name, It might be Carrier, or FreightLiner, Etc. The case is the same, just the sticker is different.

that also applies to store bought batteries, most are just the same battery with a different sticker that says BOSCH or DIE HARD or DURALAST or PROSTART, you get the point, Personaly just get the cheapest you can find that is made by a decent company, i do beleive wal-mart uses Johnson Controls for their store brand, which means it is the same as Interstate and DieHard.

In my neck of the woods AAA uses Interstate..I know 2 people who got them over the last 2 years for their Camry and Grand Marquis..Each paid 140 bucks for their battery..So far no issues.

There's a battery guy here with a brick n mortar store front who sells AAA branded batteries. I had a coworker abuse his battery by running the lights until it died and killed the battery in 18 months.
21.gif

When I worked at a tire/parts store, AAA (or a guy in their branded truck) would come buy our Exides if it were a size they didn't carry in their Ranger pickups.

+1 on the convenience factor. For some shmuck to get paged out of bed to go rescue Buffy in a rainy parking lot and be judged by his promptness is worth a few bucks.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
In my neck of the woods AAA uses Interstate..I know 2 people who got them over the last 2 years for their Camry and Grand Marquis..Each paid 140 bucks for their battery..So far no issues.

Single data point: same here in SF Bay Area, California. Not me but a neighbor for his Mazda 626, AAA installed an Interstate.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

For many years the Interstate brand was our favorite. We used them almost exclusively and had great luck in heavy duty fleet service.

Now we simply buy the best warranty. Whoever has the longest non pro rated period gets my vote.

From what I've seen locally, AAA batteries typically don't last more than 2 years. That sounds pretty bad until you consider that every car I see with an AAA battery in it falls into one of two categories:
-The owner is a senior citizen who doesn't drive much.
-The car never gets any maintenance except when it's already being towed in for a breakdown.

So based on that I can't fairly call the batteries bad so much as say they tend to end up seeing very hard service and the short life is to be expected.

Originally Posted By: Jocephus
My wifes Escalade battery died while she was on a road trip. Called AAA and they replaced it on the spot. Since I was 600 miles away and it was night I don't blame her.

I would have much preferred her to choose a brand with more recognition (Optima, DieHard, Interstate, etc) based upon their availability and warranty.

However, her AAA battery came with a comparable warranty to the big-name brands (DieHard, Interstate).

I have no bad comments to say about it. It was a little on the expensive side, but for a guy to come test her alternator, battery, and install it in a parking lot in the middle of the night its worth it for my wifes safety/peace of mind.

If my car died tonight in my driveway, would I get one? No. Its somewhat expensive and I know there are "better" (i.e. better marketed brands) out there for less cost with similar warranty.

If I were 500 miles away and had to call AAA because my car died would I get one if the guy ran a diagnostic on my car and discovered it was a battery? Absolutely

+1. I use AAA for emergencies. Why would I buy one of their batteries in any situation other than an emergency when I can get a great deal on an AAP battery on line using a discount code?

Last month I purchased a used '00 Civic. It has a AAA branded battery dated 12/08 in it. The OEM may have lasted the full 8 years. Approaching 4 years on the AAA battery and I won't be replacing it until needed (can always push start!). I seem to usually get 5-7 years out of the cheapest replacement I can find around here (used to be JCs at Wal-Mart, now going with Costco's).

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Doesn't AAA warrantee the batteries?

They have a written warranty but if you google "AAA battery warranty" you'll see about 500 people all saying that AAA uses any excuse they can to deny your warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back