April 8th 2024 total solar eclipse

There will be a viewing area at the Burlington VT airport with an entrance fee of $100.
Seems like a steep fee. Couldn't you just go to a park, cemetery, or other open land with a view of the sky, and watch for free?

Last edited by a moderator:
... with a view of the sky. My camp in Franklin County, ME, is within 2 miles of the zone of totality, but there's a hill in my way, and pretty good odds it'll be cloudy.

It would be miserable anyway going anywhere without infrastructure. Even if you get a hotel room there won't be internet, cell service, gasoline, food, and the highways will be clogged with traffic when it all ends.

Seems like a steep fee. Couldn't you just go to a park, cemetery, or other open land with a view of the sky, and watch for free?
Yep. I've already booked a campsite in west Memphis and will drive into Arkansas to see it.

We are in the 90%+ range I think. Probably good enough for the spectacle to live it. Watch it rain that day ;(

We are in the 90%+ range I think. Probably good enough for the spectacle to live it. Watch it rain that day ;(
No. The difference between 99% and totality is almost literally night and day. If you can you absolutely owe it to yourself to travel to the path of totality.

I drove to TN in 2017 and am planing on driving to IN in April for the next one.

Picture from 2017 showing the diamond ring effect on the left and a solar flare on the right:

Sun - 1.jpeg

Jeffords, Catamount, and Centennial Lots at UVM are generally open to the public; those would work.
Good to know, thanks. Burlington was the closest place for us and we reserved a room months ago. If we're lucky it will be a clear sky. Experienced totality in South Carolina a few years ago and it was otherworldly. Roosters crowing and crickets in the middle of the afternoon!

No. The difference between 99% and totality is almost literally night and day. If you can you absolutely owe it to yourself to travel to the path of totality.
This 100%. If you arent in totality but are anywhere near it, I cant stress enough how much better it will be if you make the drive. I watched the last one in an old church graveyard near Townsend, TN and it was awesome. The most tiny speck of sun before and after the maybe two minutes of totality is enough to turn daylight into darkness, and darkness right back into daytime in seconds, its really that quick. That tiny percentage of sun on either side of the moon is all the difference in the world as far as how dark it gets.

Luckily our property is in totality for this one though we may make a short drive northwest to get a bit more time in but its nice to know we dont really have to.

We watched the 2017 eclipse from a boat ramp parking lot across from the Watts Bar nuclear plant. I found it on Google Maps. For a brief moment I was afraid the steam plume from the cooling tower was going to block the sun.

One of the freakiest things I didn’t expect were the horizons. We were standing in night, but when you looked off in the distance the horizons were illuminated. It was truly a unique experience.

Everyone is aiming to make some money off of this event. Hotels are 2-4x their normal rates, etc.

I've heard that seeing a total eclipse is a significant experience. I don't fully understand, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those things you don't understand until you experience it.

I'm debating on driving into the path of totality. Buffalo is about a 7hr drive. I could go up and back in a day. I can also judge the weather.

I drove to TN in 2017 and am planing on driving to IN in April for the next one.

Picture from 2017 showing the diamond ring effect on the left and a solar flare on the right:

View attachment 200231
We were blessed for the 2017 eclipse. Literally just had to walk out the front door and stand in our own front yard. In a town 30 miles East of Nashville.

Definitely worth experiencing totality in person. It's beautiful and eerie at the same time. Wind gets calm, birds stop singing, etc. peaceful. Spread a sheet out on the ground and you can see all the 'sprites' dancing around.

There will be a viewing area at the Burlington VT airport with an entrance fee of $100.
If it comes with a tailgate party, hotdogs, hamburgers, beers, then maybe.

Just a parking lot countdown with strangers? Meh.

The edge of Kentucky is in the path. I'm really thinking of going out to visit relatives and see it. Back in 2016 it got to almost twilight where I worked. In Wyoming from the sound of it hotel rooms were $300. The drive back into Colorado from Wyoming was apparently hours on I-25.

Ya no way I'd pay that. Just go to a parking lot and bring your welding helmet. Or in rural areas just look up.

Back