appointed coefficient of friction (brembo)

Past week or so I've been doing a deep dive into replacement brake pads for my car and like everything that I do, I overthink it. So many different options, brands, pad materials, ratings, and every brand claims to be the best in the industry with the most this or that. With prices ranging from $22 a set to over $300 a set ive had my work cut out for me. I ultimately wound up picking out 3 different brands to check out brembo, acdelco gold, and bendix.

I wanted something that had at the very least good cold bite and decent bite when hot. Bendix was advertising GG and GF ratings on their pads which I felt was sufficient, acdelco golds had HH stamped on the front set and GH on the rear set which I found to be absolutely insane given the other offerings ratings. Brembo NAO ceramics were rated GG.

When I got the pads, Brembo had by far the most listed information on their performance right on the box, but I failed to understand how it matched up to the rating on the pad of GG. They are listing an appointed coefficient of friction of .38 and a nominal rating of .40, but to classify as a GG pad I thought they needed to be higher than .45. So I was not sure what to make of that and wanted to get some input. Is the appointed coefficient of friction what the OEM specifies you think? Or do you think its an average performance rating with the GG values being peak performance.

20231106_224447.jpg
20231106_224417.jpg

Last edited:
If you wanted best bite in cold, hot, anything but track, you supposed to go ATE, Textar, Jurid or Pagid, regardless of ratings. Bendix AC Delco etc. could list whatever they want, they are 10 steps below pads I listed. Brembo you got, Amebono etc. are not going to be performing as OE or OEM pads.
I tracked car on EE pads.

Either keep Brembo (which won’t have bite like OE) or get OE or OEM (ATE, Textar, Jurid or Pagid and in the case of VW/Audi, TRW, but I would not be sure aftermarket TRW is on par others although they are now under ZF and utilizing Jurid know-how).

If you wanted best bite in cold, hot, anything but track, you supposed to go ATE, Textar, Jurid or Pagid, regardless of ratings. Bendix AC Delco etc. could list whatever they want, they are 10 steps below pads I listed. Brembo you got, Amebono etc. are not going to be performing as OE or OEM pads.
I tracked car on EE pads.

Either keep Brembo (which won’t have bite like OE) or get OE or OEM (ATE, Textar, Jurid or Pagid and in the case of VW/Audi, TRW, but I would not be sure aftermarket TRW is on par others although they are now under ZF and utilizing Jurid know-how).
So if I understand you correctly, none of these friction ratings the brands are putting on their pads are real and I should go strictly by user feedback on what pads perform best?

So if I understand you correctly, none of these friction ratings the brands are putting on their pads are real and I should go strictly by user feedback on what pads perform best?
They give you some information. The compound of each manufacturer is what matters. Pagid FE pads will outperform in any aspect anything from Bendix, AC Delco etc.

Back