Appliance shortage - this is maddening.

Covid just keeps on giving and giving in all aspects of life.

I learned there was a shortage back in November when I shopped for a fridge (my current one stopped cooling for a day or so) and it was a 30-45 day lead time to get what I wanted, I ended up not buying then as my current fridge kicked back on and is still limping along until the next time it decides to take a break. I have been preparing for a full kitchen renovation for a year or so now so I have been nursing the appliances along until the renovation happens as it seems a waste of time to plop new appliances in to have to pull them out for a reno, not to mention my current kitchen footprint won't fit a side by side which is what I really want. November I was about to settle for a bottom freezer french door style which I really am not a fan.

Anyhow finally am in a position to gut my kitchen and start fresh. Appliance shortage is even worse now and is now going to delay the entire project, even more expensive sets that could get to me in an estimated 30-45 days there is pretty much nothing available. Based on window shopping pre-covid I was anticipating $1800-$2000 for a 4 piece set that I wanted - now its $2700-3000k for something I am not too thrilled about and having to wait 30-45 days for it to arrive. I have not even looked into if there are problems with supply chain on the cabinets, countertops or floors and part of me does not want to so as to avoid even more frustration.
Sorry just a vent - myself and my contractor are ready to rock and roll on my kitchen renovation but now its in limbo until I can figure out the parts situation.

local appliance store just got the appliances they ordered for their Black Friday sale about 2 weeks ago..

my nephew started working at a whirlpool Freezer factory this past summer. was supposed to be 4 10hr shifts/week. most of the summer and fall, he ended up working 12-14 hr shifts, 6days a week...they're still playing catch-up.

If you are going to put off your remodel for the time being, why not fix you existing fridge or buy used? It will hold you over till you do your remodel and markets improve.Then you can donate the old one when it's not needed anymore.The way you describe, it doesn't sound like a compressor problem to me and could be just a thermostat problem.

Last edited:
You might have to buy a brand that isn't your first choice. An example might be Frigidaire.
Look at what AJ Madison offers.
I had a custom home built that my wife and I had input on regarding design and materials.
We, not the builder, obtained the appliances. I bought them from AJ Madison and didn't have any issues.

If you happen to have a Floor & Decor, visit them for flooring.

My son is a salesman for a large HVAC firm in PA. He sells to contractors, large building complexes, etc. His sales are way up but his problem is suppliers of heating and cooling equipment. They are telling him that many of their workers are refusing to come to work for fear of being infected. So they are apparently limping along and making do with fewer production workers.

Makes you wonder what the quality will be of stuff produced under these conditions!

Port delays at pacific ports are running around a week, with ~30 container ships at any given time just bobbing around the ocean, waiting for their turn to unload. It's not like the ports are running slow either. Q4 saw port volume go through the roof and they're moving record amounts through.

Consumer spending on goods and services makes up 70% of US GDP. Of that 70%, the ratio of spending on goods versus services is typically 40% goods and 60% services. Since last March, that has flipped and goods now makes up about 60% of spending. With the inability to spend on services, especially in services surrounding hospitality, people have started buying more things.

This is like a mouse through a snake. Starting with raw materials and ending with last mile delivery, this glut of spending has to push it's way through. You see it everywhere you look: Auto manufacturers dealing with semiconductor shortages, last mile delivery running days or weeks behind, container ships stacked up at ports, otherwise completed kitchen renovations waiting for appliances.

The local high school just converted their antique boiler heat and window AC to mini-splits. The installer used a name-brand system from an excellent supplier, but a lot of equipment that came in had a six month wait time.

I bought a new Whirlpool refrigerator last April, waited weeks to get it... and it has been a complete piece of rubbish. I'm on a first name basis with the appliance repair company. I will probably buy yet another new one in a few years, if this one actually lasts that long.

So, when you finally get your new appliances... I hope you have better luck than me.

A coworker of my wife had her refrigerator die last summer. It took 4 weeks for Lowe’s to get her a replacement. Our clothes washer died in December So we bought a new Whirlpool from Lowe’s and it was delivered in 2 days. They had 4 of the model we wanted in stock at the store to our surprise.

Reactions: JC1
If you are going to put off your remodel for the time being, why not fix you existing fridge or buy used? It will hold you over till you do your remodel and markets improve.Then you can donate the old one when it's not needed anymore.The way you describe, it doesn't sound like a compressor problem to me and could be just a thermostat problem.
Its still working (for now) - not sure what happened but one day I opened it and it was warm, day after appliance shopping attempt it was cool again. Don't believe it was a door open situation as it has a very annoying alarm to warn of a door open situation.
You might have to buy a brand that isn't your first choice. An example might be Frigidaire.
Look at what AJ Madison offers.
I had a custom home built that my wife and I had input on regarding design and materials.
We, not the builder, obtained the appliances. I bought them from AJ Madison and didn't have any issues.

If you happen to have a Floor & Decor, visit them for flooring.
Frigidaire is (was?) the $1.8-$2k package I was pretty much set on pre-pandemic. I have never heard of AJ Madison but I just looked and it looks like they have quite a bit of stock of stuff I actually want - Frigidaire set is a bit more expensive than what I was seeing in 2019 but they at least have it in stock and it says free delivery so this might be a route to go. My huge thanks for this recommend!!

I just sold a used Frigidaire top freezer fridge for $60, it worked perfectly. I had a dozen "I'll take it" in less than six hours after posting. I really underpriced it, $100~$150 would have lined them up as well. It went to a disabled Army Vet whose family needed one desperately so I'm happy with the outcome. They also could not find a new one anywhere due to Covid.

Our clothes washer died in December So we bought a new Whirlpool from Lowe’s and it was delivered in 2 days. They had 4 of the model we wanted in stock at the store to our surprise.
Based on the stores around here, my impression is that Home Depot, Best Buy, and Menards stock very little in large appliances. They want to deliver everything (from centralized warehouses/distribution centers). Lowes seems to have a decent level of stock in individual stores though. Do they stock everything they sell ? Of course not, but for the popular / top-selling units, they seem to keep those around.

Based on the stores around here, my impression is that Home Depot, Best Buy, and Menards stock very little in large appliances. They want to deliver everything (from centralized warehouses/distribution centers). Lowes seems to have a decent level of stock in individual stores though. Do they stock everything they sell ? Of course not, but for the popular / top-selling units, they seem to keep those around.

Part of that is due to the scratches and dents the stock on the floor receives from errant carts, kids running around and all kinds of stuff. The last time I was in HD a lot of the appliances had some kind of damage.

I bought a new Whirlpool refrigerator last April, waited weeks to get it... and it has been a complete piece of rubbish. I'm on a first name basis with the appliance repair company. I will probably buy yet another new one in a few years, if this one actually lasts that long.

So, when you finally get your new appliances... I hope you have better luck than me.

We bought a Whirlpool fridge last spring as well with the stimulus. The refrigerator door is already sagging, it’s noisy for a new fridge and the kick plate mount is not on right.

Last Whirlpool we will buy.

You think HD stocks their appliances on the floor, out of their boxes ? :oops:

Hmm, wonder if it's a regional issue?
Here in NYC, Home Depot and Lowes are low, but they quote 2 day delivery
The independent retailers seem as well stocked as ever
I was in a supplier in Bushwick on Friday with 50+ units on display ready to sell
All $1200+ Stainless LG/Samsung fairly high end models
One or two were sold in the ~half hour I was around

I would look at Consumer Reports for appliance suggestions. I don't think any one manufacturer makes the best of all appliance. One might make the best dishwasher and another the best range. I have also seen some almost new appliances in Craigslist. Someone moves into a house and buys or brings with them their favorite appliances and sells what is in the new to them house. Happens more often with washer and dryers. We sold a new but 3 year old oven and cook top on Craigslist. Wife was going to renovate her old house but then sold it instead and had new appliances in boxes that we sold. So odd things do happen.

Back