Appliance shortage - this is maddening.

A lot of the big box stores don't carry that stuff in store but you can order it online. Lowes actually has a scratch/dent store where you can pick up stuff right on the spot. Most of the time it's just 25% off list and they normally do 10-15% off list so the discount isn't really that great but occasionally they have stuff that's 30-50% off but they have big dents.

If you find something you want in the scratch/dent area, make them an offer.
I have, and they took it.
They generally want to clear that stuff out and are motivated.
On the washer (Maytag), they took another $50. off of it.
In my previous post, I forgot to list the stove that I bought there.
The price was so good that I would have bought it anyway, because I had a dead stove at home.
The manager wouldn't come down on it; however, he did throw in a 2 years of extended warranty at no charge.

My dad swap out an old 80s dishwasher when he remodel one of his rental and kept it as a spare, last month he install it for a tenant that had a broken unit, he was asking us where we got it from so my mom made up a story "my son remodeled his home and this is his old dishwasher"..... you can tell they were not too happy but were glad they at least have a replacement.

If you can handle the looks and the noise level from those 1980s machines, those things were built like tanks! They're all plastic junk today.

I believe it's wishful thinking to believe you can get four decent kitchen appliances for $2,000. Many refrigerators alone cost that much.

If you want a particular appliance model, it's still hurry up and wait. I wanted a certain GE washer model in October and ordered it from an independent store nearby. It took 10 weeks to come in. In November our 18 year old Amana bottom freezer fridge took a dump, but I was lucky to replace it with a Kitchenaid model that a specialty cabinet shop was willing to sell me from its display floor. It pays to have a second fridge.

Last edited:
If you can handle the looks and the noise level from those 1980s machines, those things were built like tanks! They're all plastic junk today.
I have an old Hobart (Kitchenaid) with the porcelainized metal tub. It is loud when running, but it makes great washing sounds!

Mostly, you can still get, but have to pay through the nose for the good stuff - Miele case in point.

Thing on availability is few to none are going to stock anything anymore.
Every MBA from the last 20 years in charge of a company has moved to just in time inventory which means you are simply SOL if you need or want something now. They dont want parts or unsold product sitting in a wearhouse and on the balance sheet because you MIGHT buy something. That aint happening anymore.

In a continuous upward trending environment manufacturers dealer and distributors will buy and hold inventory-
Remove a years worth of flow and they all retract.

Last edited:
Based on the stores around here, my impression is that Home Depot, Best Buy, and Menards stock very little in large appliances. They want to deliver everything (from centralized warehouses/distribution centers). Lowes seems to have a decent level of stock in individual stores though. Do they stock everything they sell ? Of course not, but for the popular / top-selling units, they seem to keep those around.

If the item is in stock, they have to carry costs, JIT is the way to go.

TL;DR: New top-rated (CR) LG LRDCS2603S single-top-door, bottom freezer fridge will be delivered this Friday. I was in and out of HD within 45 minutes. $100 off with credit card and 18 months 0% financing. ~$1700...

/

We just got back from a long weekend at the beach several hours ago and our 2009 LG fridge (Hecho en Mexico) was dead. The freezer seems to have thawed and then turned back on (either that or the the fridge quit some time this morning), but the fridge section was 60F with no fan noise. The lights were on and the temperature setpoints, which will reset to 4 upon loss and return of power, even after a blip, were still set to 5, our normal settings. No warning; this thing has been running great. It has kept consistent temperatures and ran very quietly. The condenser coils were cleaned in the Spring with not much buildup since the previous Spring.

The only issue we've been having, which may or may not be related, is the bottom freezer door does not seal; there's a 1/8-1/4" gap on the left-hand side, resulting in plenty of frost. I planned to empty it and see if there was anything I could adjust, but it's too late now.

We've got a chest freezer and beer fridge, so I have zero desire to troubleshoot this fridge and keep it as a second.

It's a bottom freezer, French door top that I haven't been pleased with in a while. We've wanted more space since we

Last edited:
Back