Appliance shortage - this is maddening.

I like Home Depot over Lowe's because Lowe's is way overpriced.
I've never seen any differences in pricing between the two stores. Some things are higher at one, some are lower, many are close enough to call it even, and maybe things are on sale at one this week and at the other the next week....

You are competing with the housing boom, and we had a trade war with South Korea (I am not sure if also China and Mexico too) that we started in the last 8 years. So don't expect anything cheap.

If I were you I would either do the work now and use the old appliance till things become available again, or postpone the remodeling till later.

Based on the stores around here, my impression is that Home Depot, Best Buy, and Menards stock very little in large appliances. They want to deliver everything (from centralized warehouses/distribution centers). Lowes seems to have a decent level of stock in individual stores though. Do they stock everything they sell ? Of course not, but for the popular / top-selling units, they seem to keep those around.
I haven't seen anyone with any inventory since Sears went out of business.

They intentionally make model number different so you cannot.
They basically have the same models. At least the basic ones I buy. They're pretty much the same price at Home Depot and Lowes. If Lowes has it in stock, it's delivered the next day or two. Home Depot always takes at least 2 weeks even if it's in their warehouse.

I haven't seen anyone with any inventory since Sears went out of business.

Lowes (around here)....

I just picked refrigerators on sale and in stock at my local store - I get (18) different models. In most cases, they have 1, sometimes 2 units in stock. A few models have 3-4 on hand.

Built-in dishwashers - also (18) models in stock. Same as fridges, most of them they have (1) on hand but some there are 2, 3, and 4 on hand.

Top-load washers - (13) in stock and the stock level is quite different. I see multiple with 4-6 on hand and one model with (9) on hand. The one with (9) is a $1200 model too.

With Home Depot, I started with top-load washers.... and there's not even a checkbox for "in stock at my store". All they have is "24 items on display at store" and all are marked "Free delivery". Dishwashers are the same way.

I see 9 premium side by side and 21 french door styles in stock at the Lowes up the street from me in Epping, NH.

BTW, Who stopped working at factories during epidemic? NO one I know around here. My wife was working all along,
but she is in biotech. And my old co-workers were all working in computer and printer and teleconference tech manufacturing in Salem NH.

Last edited:
Last November my microwave decided to stop working and was surprised to find out that all 3 of our appliance stores had no countertop microwaves of any size. So I tried Menards but they only had really small ones. I did find one at Wally for $69 but I'm sure it won't last very long so I have been checking once a month or so and none of the appliance stores have any in the size I want, I need a 1.4 cubic feet because that is what looks the best on out microwave stand, I just hope the cheap one from wally lasts a couple years.

Last edited:
Just went through this on a washer and dryer replacement. Ended up buying the washer from Lowe's, delivered next day as they were the only one who had it in stock in this area (and by in stock, that meant they had two at a store located 45 minutes away). The dryer was two plus months out... Ended up buying that at Best Buy - 1 week on delivery. Acceptable at least!

If we were less picky on color or the unit, there was one or two other units that places seemed to have in stock... Everything else was typically 6+ weeks out...

Tried to support a local appliance retailer, they basically said if they didn't have it now, it would be 8 weeks or more out. Not good when the washer is broken now...

Side note: The replaced washer and dryer were 31 year old Kenmore (Whirpool) units... Couldn't justify replacing parts when I knew how many rusted parts needed to be removed to get to the failed part... It was time... More than got our money's worth out of them, including the refurbished timer I put in on the dryer 5 years ago since Whirlpool stopped making replacements...

There is a family owned shop in the area that sells floor models, dented and whatever appliances.
Bring your pickup and go home with a nice appliance for hundreds off!
We got a nice Samsung warsher for $450 cash out the door that is easily $800 in the stores.

Kinda like a gold mine, especially when you need it now!

When the smoke rolled out from behind the control panel on our cheapo Amana dishwasher a few months back, I had a tough time finding a lesser expensive dishwasher at any of the big places. Wound up finding a new Fridgidaire still in the box off the FaceHole Marketplace locally. The seller was a landlord. Story was they bought an appliance package deal from BLowes or the Homes depot some time back and didn't need the dishwasher, so it was just sitting. I got it for half of what they retail. $300.

There is a family owned shop in the area that sells floor models, dented and whatever appliances.
Bring your pickup and go home with a nice appliance for hundreds off!
We got a nice Samsung warsher for $450 cash out the door that is easily $800 in the stores.

Kinda like a gold mine, especially when you need it now!
Small mom and pop (I am not sure if Airport Home Appliance is considered mom and pop) is the only place that have exotic stuff like drop in range, for apartment unit that needs special size, at the 30%-50% higher price. Those probably are still available because they are not for remodeled and new homes.

When the smoke rolled out from behind the control panel on our cheapo Amana dishwasher a few months back, I had a tough time finding a lesser expensive dishwasher at any of the big places. Wound up finding a new Fridgidaire still in the box off the FaceHole Marketplace locally. The seller was a landlord. Story was they bought an appliance package deal from BLowes or the Homes depot some time back and didn't need the dishwasher, so it was just sitting. I got it for half of what they retail. $300.
My dad swap out an old 80s dishwasher when he remodel one of his rental and kept it as a spare, last month he install it for a tenant that had a broken unit, he was asking us where we got it from so my mom made up a story "my son remodeled his home and this is his old dishwasher"..... you can tell they were not too happy but were glad they at least have a replacement.

Small mom and pop (I am not sure if Airport Home Appliance is considered mom and pop) is the only place that have exotic stuff like drop in range, for apartment unit that needs special size, at the 30%-50% higher price. Those probably are still available because they are not for remodeled and new homes.
A lot of the big box stores don't carry that stuff in store but you can order it online. Lowes actually has a scratch/dent store where you can pick up stuff right on the spot. Most of the time it's just 25% off list and they normally do 10-15% off list so the discount isn't really that great but occasionally they have stuff that's 30-50% off but they have big dents.

If you think that is bad, try ordering a reasonably priced kid's bicycle by Trek. Delivery anticipated in 2023 - no joke - 2023.

They won‘t price match?

I buy appliances at Lowe's.
Over the years, I have purchased a total of 2 Refrigerators, 3 Dishwashers, 2 Washers, and a Freezer.
I have always negotiated and have never paid asking price, even on a scratch/dent washer that was already significantly discounted.
In addition, I have always gotten free delivery plus any other available incentives at the time.
I have always purchased at Lowe's because all the Mom/Pop places are gone in my area, they generally tend to have the best selection of Whirlpool in my area, and they have always delivered the next day (I tend to run appliances until they are fully beyond repair.)

I buy appliances at Lowe's.
Over the years, I have purchased a total of 2 Refrigerators, 3 Dishwashers, 2 Washers, and a Freezer.
I have always negotiated and have never paid asking price, even on a scratch/dent washer that was already significantly discounted.
In addition, I have always gotten free delivery plus any other available incentives at the time.
I have always purchased at Lowe's because all the Mom/Pop places are gone in my area, they generally tend to have the best selection of Whirlpool in my area, and they have always delivered the next day (I tend to run appliances until they are fully beyond repair.)

I need to bring you with me next time!

Back