API SP/ILSAC GF-6A on retail shelves

jurko

Site Donor 2022

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
The Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) is now starting to see motor oils with the new API SP/ILSAC GF-6A standard on store shelves. Test results for the first group PQIA recently purchased can be seen by clicking on the bottles below. More are coming.​
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

CLICK BOTTLES FOR DETAILS​
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
prjVWi9agcvHo6wWwSY0NoWHiaFTUW1GFE88HIUk5LrHN5aeEIX3D6pJtDlEPNI6Dvf_Ou5XHLexQ1ajT_5sVXHMGfcLsqoinYvkNDmXc8HzvBff2Y637Q=s0-d-e1-ft
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
prjVWi9agcvHo6wWwSY0NoWHiaFTUW1GFE88HIUk5LrHN5aeEIX3D6pJtDlEPNI6Dvf_Ou5XHLexQ1ajT_5sVXHMGfcLsqoinYvkNDmXc8HzvBff2Y637Q=s0-d-e1-ft
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

Pennzoil has lower P/Zn levels (by 100-150 ppm) than the competition. This has been a common finding in UOA's as well.
Is this a cause for concern?

Less poison for the Catalytic converters :).
P/Zn are fundamental ingredients for most anti-wear additive systems. Perhaps they’re using something in place of it, but none of the other top tier oils have reduced their p/zn levels.

P/Zn are fundamental ingredients for most anti-wear additive systems. Perhaps they’re using something in place of it, but none of the other top tier oils have reduced their p/zn levels.

As you said, they have other anti-wear additives in place of it.

We will never know their trade's secrets.

But if you like high P/Zn, get the High Mileage version.

As you said, they have other anti-wear additives in place of it.

We will never know their trade's secrets.

But if you like high P/Zn, get the High Mileage version.
Well, we hope that is the case. But we do not know this for a fact. Competitive brands contain more P/Zinc while containing almost identical amounts of the other additives.

The Pennzoil went up from 9.6 to 9.9 in viscosity ; Super Tech 5W30 used for shorter OCI's (<5K miles) looks pretty good !

Pennzoil has lower P/Zn levels (by 100-150 ppm) than the competition. This has been a common finding in UOA's as well.
Is this a cause for concern?

Oh that's right. Now, that I recalled, HM Oils usually have higher P/Zn then the regular version. In the display of oil on top shows only the PP an Castrol are not HM and the rest are HM Oils. This is probably why!

I find the packaging on the Mobil 1 oil to be somewhat puzzling. From reading the past threads here, I understand that the previous EP/Extended Protection and AP/Annual Protection formulas were to be discontinued and combined as one product offering now labeled EP. And that EP oil would be basically the same as the old AP, but with the new GF-6A standard. They say that oil should be good for up to 20,000 OCI's. Not that I would do that, but that was their marketing claim.

But I see the new oil is also marked High Mileage. I have always understood that oil offerings from the various manufacturers that were labeled as "High Mileage" were formulated for older cars that maybe had 75,000 or 100,000 miles or even more on them. And had specific additives for engines that may be starting to burn a little oil or whatever else you see as engines accumulate a lot of miles. The new Maxlife and Supertech oils are labeled High Mileage and for engines over 75,000 miles which is what I expect for High Mileage formulas.

I wouldn't have run any "High Milage" oils in my new(er) Mazda CX 5 or any other vehicle previously that had less than 75k or so miles on it, why would this new formula Mobil 1 be a good idea in low mileage cars ?

I find the packaging on the Mobil 1 oil to be somewhat puzzling. From reading the past threads here, I understand that the previous EP/Extended Protection and AP/Annual Protection formulas were to be discontinued and combined as one product offering now labeled EP. And that EP oil would be basically the same as the old AP, but with the new GF-6A standard. They say that oil should be good for up to 20,000 OCI's. Not that I would do that, but that was their marketing claim.

But I see the new oil is also marked High Mileage. I have always understood that oil offerings from the various manufacturers that were labeled as "High Mileage" were formulated for older cars that maybe had 75,000 or 100,000 miles or even more on them. And had specific additives for engines that may be starting to burn a little oil or whatever else you see as engines accumulate a lot of miles. The new Maxlife and Supertech oils are labeled High Mileage and for engines over 75,000 miles which is what I expect for High Mileage formulas.

I wouldn't have run any "High Milage" oils in my new(er) Mazda CX 5 or any other vehicle previously that had less than 75k or so miles on it, why would this new formula Mobil 1 be a good idea in low mileage cars ?

I know guys who run syn blend maxlife in everything from day one with zero problems.
Why would a more robust add pack and some additional (but still within API spec) seal conditioners Worry you in a new vehicle?

Read the specs the oil has . High mile or low mile the oil has to meet criteria to be labeled as such.

I checked out the shelves in my Wally’s the other day and noticed that most of the brands stocked were SP. Valvoline was well represented as was Mobil 1. Pennzoil was mostly SP. Supertech was also SP.

The shelves were full as well, none of the empty spaces I had seen a month or so ago.

I know guys who run syn blend maxlife in everything from day one with zero problems.
Why would a more robust add pack and some additional (but still within API spec) seal conditioners Worry you in a new vehicle?

It wouldn't worry me, but it would never occur to me that there would be a reason to use an oil marked High Mileage formula in a newer vehicle. My brain tells me that the manufacturers offer a different formula for high mileage vehicles for some specific performance characteristics on those cars and that formula isn't needed on newer vehicles.
I'm sure there would be no harm in doing so, but just find it curious that Mobil 1 suggests their formula is equally applicable to older vehicles and new ones and the primary benefit is very, very long OCI's. I sure wouldn't run 20,000 miles between changes even under the most ideal conditions and with a premium filter. Maybe 12,500 miles tops. And with a GDI turbo engine only 5000 miles under what the manufacturer considers severe service which my driving these days qualifies for (a lot of short trips, like around 10-12 miles)

It wouldn't worry me, but it would never occur to me that there would be a reason to use an oil marked High Mileage formula in a newer vehicle. My brain tells me that the manufacturers offer a different formula for high mileage vehicles for some specific performance characteristics on those cars and that formula isn't needed on newer vehicles.
I'm sure there would be no harm in doing so, but just find it curious that Mobil 1 suggests their formula is equally applicable to older vehicles and new ones and the primary benefit is very, very long OCI's. I sure wouldn't run 20,000 miles between changes even under the most ideal conditions and with a premium filter. Maybe 12,500 miles tops. And with a GDI turbo engine only 5000 miles under what the manufacturer considers severe service which my driving these days qualifies for (a lot of short trips, like around 10-12 miles)
All the Mobil 1 HM products are now API SP, so the bottom line is that they are all applicable to all vehicles that would otherwise use an API SP oil.

And where do you see Mobil 1 suggesting anything beyond a 10,000 mile OCI for this product?

All the Mobil 1 HM products are now API SP, so the bottom line is that they are all applicable to all vehicles that would otherwise use an API SP oil.

And where do you see Mobil 1 suggesting anything beyond a 10,000 mile OCI for this product?

Look at the photo of the Mobil 1 bottle at the top of this thread. It states on the label "Protects for 20,000 miles-Guaranteed"
I'd sure bet that a lot of users will take that for face value.

Looking at the level of “Contaminants” reported by PQIA in these brand-new samples makes one even more skeptical of the value of UOAs. How many elevated silicon results in UOAs that produce suggestions “to check for intake leaks” have their foundation in new oil out of the bottle; or aluminum trends that vary from the norm.

No doubt these level of contaminants are harmless, but still...

Look at the photo of the Mobil 1 bottle at the top of this thread. It states on the label "Protects for 20,000 miles-Guaranteed"
I'd sure bet that a lot of users will take that for face value.
Yes you are correct that's EP, sorry I was thinking of the regular HM which is not Extended Performance and is for up to 10,000 miles.

And yes, that is what they intend for you to take as face value and is what their guarantee allows.

Back