Anyone with a Prius feedback?

Hi, I’ve realized that my Camry does not cut it for both of my dogs. 80 pounds each, lab and Golden retriever. A coworker of mine has a 2014 Prius for sale that peaked my interest. Was wondering if anyone on the forum has any feedback as far as trunk volume, particularly with the backseats still upright.
Thank you

I have a 2011 (same generation) and can take some pictures for you tomorrow.

Just remember that this generation is very prone to head gasket failures.

Critic- That would be incredible. Just trying to figure out if this would be doable for carting both of my dogs to and from the park/trails (daily) with the backseats still upright or if I would have to look at a larger vehicle.

I have a 2008 Prius and I like it. I would like to sell mine and upgrade to a 14-15 myself. I really wish the 16+ were so ugly, I would like to get one of them.

The Prius fits a certain type of person. My neighbour had one and I was a passenger only, but several times.
It will do the job for you, but it's terribly boring and unless you get your kicks from MPG you'll get tired of it very quickly.
This is only my opinion, so you better drive it before you go any further.

I have a 2008 Prius and I like it. I would like to sell mine and upgrade to a 14-15 myself. I really wish the 16+ were so ugly, I would like to get one of them.

Yes-the new ones look like they have already been in a collision right out of the factory.....

If you find it too small, you might like a Golf Sportwagen, it gives you about 10 more cubic feet in the back with seats up. Probably about the same price as a 2014 prius.

Across (in the narrowest section) is about 39”.

Attachments

• 13E9A88A-F609-4F89-8FA3-7E5C31562DAD.jpeg
    13E9A88A-F609-4F89-8FA3-7E5C31562DAD.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 28
  • E2C59225-BAC6-4220-B420-04A0DC1D8BF3.jpeg
    E2C59225-BAC6-4220-B420-04A0DC1D8BF3.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 28
Critic- Thank you for the picture, I figured the prius had more depth to it.
Dareo- There is no comparison with a wagon, a family member had an outback in the past and it was very practical.

I would love to get a wagon vs a crossover/SUV since lifting both of my guys in/out daily will at some point throw out my back down the line. Unfortunately in my area, wagons are not popular at all so the used market does not appear to have many options at this time.

I worked for an independent dealership that specialized in "green" vehicles. We had several Prius. I don't think the back is large enough for two large dogs unless you fold the seat down. Consequently weren't the 2013ish 2014 generation the ones with the middle battery cells going bad? The hybrid repair shop a couple doors down had numerous Prius getting bad battery cells replaced.

Consequently weren't the 2013ish 2014 generation the ones with the middle battery cells going bad? The hybrid repair shop a couple doors down had numerous Prius getting bad battery cells replaced.
All of the Prius battery packs will have cells fail towards the middle - it is the section that receives the least amount of cooling.
The 10-15 Prius 1.8L is prone to head gasket failures.

All of the Prius battery packs will have cells fail towards the middle - it is the section that receives the least amount of cooling.
The 10-15 Prius 1.8L is prone to head gasket failures.

Are those the ones with the EGR coolers that clog frequently too?

Also, in my 2007 Prius there's maybe enough room for a dog in the hatch for a short trip but definitely not space for two. The Prius doesn't quite have the same rear cargo room as a traditional wagon.

Ive leased a 2014 Prius two in past. Me and my wife both didn’t like it at first for the design, but it grew on us. Hands down the best car I’ve ever had. 9 gallon tank gives you 2-3 weeks of driving easily. As for the space, I’ve moved 1br apartment using only it once (excluding big furniture), when you lower the back seat the amount of space is crazy.

Heads up on any Prius over 8 years old. The life expectancy of third Gen Prius batteries is between 9 and 11 years. Mileage has little to do with life expectancy. My 2010 battery coughed up the dreaded PO80 code stating your battery is toast at 8 years and one month at 78K miles. One month earlier Toyota would have replaced it under warranty. Lucky for me Toyota gave me $750 towards the repair and the dealer took off another $400 off the battery.

Remember 2014 is seven years old? Battery replacement can run over $3000 for a NEW installed Toyota battery.

Other than that the car has been somewhat trouble free. The only issue I've had was I had to replace three of my wheel hubs due to bad bearings. I understand that was an issue with the early third gens like 10-11 and maybe 12's. They fixed the problem with later models.

My dad had a 2008 and 2012 Prius, I believe. Currently have Camry's. The Camry is better for the dogs, IMO.

The Prius 'cargo space' is pretty worthless, as far as dog volume is concerned. Better off with something like a Rav 4 or something along those lines if you need more room for them.

My 60lb Husky has no problem in the Camry or Mazda 3. But two dogs would get tight for either. Prius would be about as good as the Mazda (which is worse than the Camry).

Hi, I’ve realized that my Camry does not cut it for both of my dogs. 80 pounds each, lab and Golden retriever. A coworker of mine has a 2014 Prius for sale that peaked my interest. Was wondering if anyone on the forum has any feedback as far as trunk volume, particularly with the backseats still upright.
Thank you
I see you live in NJ. If you will ever drive it in snow, just consider that any wheel spin kills the car. One of my co-workers sold hers for this reason. She was literally stuck for "no reason" because of a snowy minor incline. Total fail.

Back