Anyone Using Rotella ELC in a diesel motor??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if any one has been using Rotella Diesel Ready ELC in a diesel motor.

I was going to use G-05 Zerex with it's 5yr/150K mi claim, but for a $1 more a gallon at NAPA, Rotella ELC was what I left with.

I got a really low milage '00 7.3L PSD and it has the original coolant with 47K mi on it. I wasn't really wild about having to add SCA's thus why I left with the ELC.

Rotella's 600k mi/12000 hr claim with a booster at 300k mi is what sold me on it and that it was also approved by Navistar.

Any one have any thoughts on this stuff? Should I be concerned about it?

According to the Shell guru's on their Tech site, this stuff is perfectly acceptable in any '99 and newer 7.3L.

This is one of the best choices you could have made for your diesel engines. Make sure you keep you system topped off properly and that you allow a little cooldown. It should last the life of your truck.

...and now for a TOTALLY different application: I was in an International dealer today and they have the Shell ELC there. I need to get something for my liquid cooled bike (FJR 1300) and really hate to service the cooling systems on anything. Anyone have any thoughts on this coolant for my proposed application? Anyone?

John.

Thanks for the approval Stinky!

I figured it couldn't be that bad with that kind of warranty, even though I only got 2 hits with the search engine on this site.

As far as other applications...I used to use GM's DEX cool in my 78' Gold Wing after I replaced the water pump as the previous owner used plain coolant that was loaded with silacates.
pat.gif

I never ran the stuff more than a year, and it worked great.

See my post in this previous thread: HERE
My research for that post shows me that Rotella ELC is very similar to dexcool.

My personal opinion is that a HOAT G 05 specification fluid would be the best overall coolant to use in any application. It's precharged for diesel use and is long life, as well as quite a low silicate level and phosphate free. Becuase G 05 has silicates, it resists cavitation much better than a straight-up OAT coolant like the dexcool specification.

quote:

Originally posted by Stinky Peterson:
The Rotella ELC contains nitrite and the Shell Dexcool does not.

And that's about the only difference from what I gather. Havoline/Shell Dexcool have strikingly similar chemistry to Shell ELC with the exception that the ELC has added nitrites for use in diesel engines with "wet sleeves".

ELC/Dexcool(Havoline/Shell/Texaco) are both OAT based, utilizing Potassium 2-EHA as the primary corrosion inhibitor. Prestone uses sodium 2-EHA as its primary corrosion inhibitor in it's "dexcool OAT" formulations.

EC-1 Coolants (CAT ELC, Havoline ELC, Rotella ELC, etc.) are okay by me. 565,000 mi (so far) with original water pump, with original coolant in service for 500,000 mi with only an extender added at 250,000 mi.

I believe this would be an excellent choice in a 7.3 PSD.

Another option might be the new Fleetguard ES Complete.

PS Dexcool is also missing the MoO... I believe this is responsible for the long water-pump life with EC-1 coolants.

Gene

Gene

The organic acid additives form waxy coatings and act as lubricants. I'm not sure of the molybdenite but it was only recently that Cat added it to ELC and we saw good waterpump life before they did. The OAT additives take a while to protect so it is good to have the nitrite and moly to help.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back