Anyone using Dunlop Signature IIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm beginning to scout tires for our CR-V. 225/65R17. I'm considering the General AltiMAX RT43, the Dunlop Signature II, the Cooper CS3/4/5, the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring, and possibly some others as well. I've seen a number of reviews on most of these, but the Dunlop Signature II seems to be an outlier. What I have read is positive...I just haven't read a lot. And a quick search of eBay reveals that all of the siping stays intact as the tire wears, which is good in my opinion.

Sam's has these for $99.02 each (though they're out of stock at the moment). Four installed would be $456.08 plus tax. DTD has these for $107.00 each through their website, or $392 total on eBay including their $100 off coupon code. So they'd be about the same as Sam's with installation. Tire Rack has them for $101.00 each, and shipping adds another $63.28, so they're $467 just to my door, not even installed.

My usual brand, Michelin, doesn't have anything that interests me in this size. They've discontinued the tire I have now (the Latitude Tour in 225/65R17 102T). My only choices are the Latitude Tour HP (OEM for Toyota; no thanks) or the Defender (it'll rot out before I ever put 90,000 miles on it).

The Dunlops look interesting. Right at the heart of what I consider reasonable for tread life (UTQG treadwear rating of 620), only 25 pounds in this size, made in the United States, and very reasonably priced.

I have not used Dunlop tires in over 20 + years, but the set I did have were ok. Today, if I need tires, cheapest best I can get. If you shop at used tire places and start early, you can find almost new tires for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Used tires are not always worn out. Some are just traded in for a different brand.

Well, you certainly want to stay with the newer model tires and not the Closeouts such as the CS4's(although a decent tire). The CS5 is new and with very few reviews. Everything else with the CS5's remain to be seen.

All of your tire choices are good choices. I had the G/Y ACT's which I liked but, they're getting/staying pricey so, I chose the RT43s to replace the ACT's on a 14 year old vehicle.

I have the Cooper CS4's for Summer Only on my Altima and I like them too but, they're being replaced by the CS3/CS5. The CS4 have been difficult to keep balanced(with other reviewers as well) and I hope the CS3/5's don't have this same issue. The Coopers are very absorbent over ruts/irregularities as are the AltiMAX RT43's

The G/Y ACT Touring are an older model(by todays standards) and though a very good tire, they're being eclipsed by the newer models that you mentioned.

We had several set of Dunlop Signatures(1st gen) on vehicles in our circle and they did well in our climate but, became loud on all of them. I believe the Signature II's will do better!

Do you want a Standard Touring Tire or an SUV/CUV Tire?
For most lighter weight CUV's I prefer a Standard Touring Tire(passenger tire) more so than an SUV tire like the LTX M/S 2 or Destination LE/2 but, they're a good choice as well and lots of folks love both of them! I'd recommend either for the Over 4000 lb SUV's
smile.gif
Only you can decide!

No Michelin LTX MS/2 in 225-65-17 but, you can get'em in the Firestone Destination LE/2's

Good Luck,

CB

Last edited:
The '11 Impala in my sig came with two brand new Dunlop Signature IIs on the back when we bought it. We kept them there and proceeded to burn through the two about-done Cooper CS4s that were at the front.

This spring, we moved the Dunlops to the front and put two more Signature IIs in the back. I wasn't a big fan of getting two more (wanted a different tire) but my GF insisted upon a matched set.

I guess I was being unfair automatically ruling out Dunlop as a decent tire choice, because these Signature IIs have been a fantastic tire. Very little weight needed to balance, quiet, smooth ride, good in the rain, good wear. We went to Norwalk, Ohio for the NHRA Nationals in July and it was a pleasure to ride in the Impala with those tires on there.

They are probably one of the best in Dunlop's lineup IMO. Like you said, they have a good treadwear rating, made in the USA, decent price... what's not to like? Next year when I need a new A/S summer set for the Accord, they would definitely be one set I'd consider to buy.

Also worth mentioning... the Primacy MXV4 on my Accord are a nice tire, no doubt. But since (1) they're discontinuing that tire and (2) they cost so much; I don't know if I'll get another Primacy (last of the ones made) or the new Premier A/S. Michelin's are nice, but I don't know if I can justify the cost when so many other tire manufacturers have as good products for so much less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

All of your tire choices are good choices. I had the G/Y ACT's which I liked but, they're getting/staying pricey so, I chose the RT43s to replace the ACT's on a 14 year old vehicle.

Sorry for draggin this off-topic but -
CB - How did your RT43's do? I just ordered a set because they got such great reviews for Winter traction, and looked good for road noise too. The wife is picky about noise and I want her to be safe, so these looked like a great tire. But I always get worried ordering tires - it's a big expense and once you get them you're stuck with them for a long time!

Do you want a Standard Touring Tire or an SUV/CUV Tire?

My personal opinion is that these are more marketing classifications than anything else and as long as the size and service description (load index + speed rating) is at least as good as original equipment, the tires will be appropriate. The Latitudes have been great, but now discontinued. I personally don't care for the LE2s.

Our larger MDX has the Primacy MXV4s in P235/65R17...and I could put those on the CR-V as well in that size. Very small difference in rolling radius. Still...they may be gone sooner than later (that line is being phased out), and they cost more per tire than I care to pay at this point (nearly $190 each). I was able to get them for the same price as the less expensive Latitude Tours through a deal at BJs earlier this year, but I won't have that opportunity with the CR-V.

Honestly, I'd probably buy the Defender if it didn't have such a dadgum long expected tread life. This argument is probably backwards from what tire manufacturers often hear, but I don't want a tire that's supposed to last forever (rubber gets hard, etc). I want a decent tire that will last an honest 50k miles and that will ride good for the whole time. Michelin doesn't seem to offer that at the moment. They don't offer an equivalent of the Dunlop Signature II or General AltiMAX RT43.

I was earlier eyeing the Goodyear Assurance FuelMax, but there are precious few wet weather sipes in that tread pattern, and what little are there seem to disappear as the tire wears. A good deal at Sam's Club at $119 each...but lacking in the sipe department. Tire Rack reviews also indicate that these may be rough-riding and/or noisy.

I had the Assurance FuelMax on a Taurus once. They were OK... that's about it. They were a tire, they were black, and they rolled.

Ive got two on my zx2. Quiet, smooth riding and decent overrall traction. Not the best treadwear but I will easily get 50k out them since my car is so light. 20k on them already.

Originally Posted By: Smcatub

Sorry for draggin this off-topic but -
CB - How did your RT43's do? I just ordered a set because they got such great reviews for Winter traction, and looked good for road noise too. The wife is picky about noise and I want her to be safe, so these looked like a great tire. But I always get worried ordering tires - it's a big expense and once you get them you're stuck with them for a long time!

Well quickly, they're fine but, I've only had'em on the car a few weeks and we do like'em thus far. Smooth, quiet & good riding even with more PSI over the OE door label.

I'll review soon!

Last edited:
OT, but In your size, I would be looking at the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus.

No experience with the Signature II, but I do like Dunlop tires.

I have the SP Sport Signature on my car right now, and they are awesome. Good handling, acceptable ride, not wearing too bad so far, haven't had the chance to test them in the snow yet, but so far so good.

tirebuyer.com consumer reviews of the Dunlops you mention are pretty strong and if you can get that deal at Sams, I doubt you'll beat that anywhere else, though if you have a local Discount Tire they'll not only price match, but beat a price on a tire, given you can prove the offer.

The Cooper C5 has 4 or 5 times the silica content as the previous generation C4 and I've read good things about them.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
OT, but In your size, I would be looking at the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus.

I have decided that I want to try a "value tire" this time. I've paid a lot of money for tires for a long time (Michelin) and want to try to find a good inexpensive tire. I'm sure the Pirellis are nice, but they're even more expensive than Michelins in this size.

Even though I have tried other value tires in my size without much success past the 20K-25K mile mark, I am hoping the RT43 perform better/longer.

Not that the value tire wouldn't go further, some just turn sour in the lower mileage area in terms of things like:

*Radial Pull
*Broken Belts
*Odd wear patterns(even with proper alignment & suspension parts)
*Noise

But, I've had these issues with expensive brand name tire as well!

They are rated pretty strongly, I would run them
the altimax rt43 seem to be a very strong performer including about as good a winter performance as you can get from a non-winter tire, but only tirerack carries H/V rated ones?

The yokohama geolandar g91f's on my new 2015 forester are dog poop!

someone cut me off and threw on his turn signal the other night when my GF was with me.

She was flipping out from the abs kicking in as I drove around him. Definitely subpar traction tires.

If I hadnt just bought ws-80's I'd hop on the current massive sale over at DTD ebay.

Then craigslist these oem tires... I do love the MPG though. lifetime average from 0 miles on the car is 28.1 so far... including 2 x 1 mile drive to work daily.

I'm putting on the winter shoes in 2 weeks so Most likely I'll do a spring sale for my 3 season shoes.

Information I'd like to have about the dunlops that I never see..
How low their RR is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back