anyone use this oil back in the day? (1992)

Status
Not open for further replies.
photo20g.jpg

found this bottle of QSGB from 1992 with about 1/4 quart. API sg,sf 10w30 super blend, supposedly turbo approved. pretty neat find in an old basement. anyone use this 20 years ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I ran that in my 1985 Saab 900. It was available in a 20W-40 also. I ran the 10W-30 fall and winter, the 20W-40 spring and summer.

Ed

1/4 quart. i put a little in the cap and on my fingers, it still feels slick and has a decent smell to it, the cap was on pretty secure, it seemed to be still usable, i wouldnt use it, but it was a neat find no doubt.

I used regular 10-40 in a white bottle of the same design--the first case of oil I ever bought. There was an air vent in the neck that made it pour easily.

I remember the bottles. That funny tube on the side of the neck let air into the container so it would pour easier. It must not have been that great, because nobody has that anymore.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I remember the bottles. That funny tube on the side of the neck let air into the container so it would pour easier. It must not have been that great, because nobody has that anymore.

Knowing today`s corporate world mentality, it probably would cost too much money to produce.
smirk.gif

Oh wow calling this retro makes me feel old. It's just the 90's! Yeah, I used Valvoline Synth in my new to me '82 Bimmer in those days (ie high school) but this was my dad's oil of choice for his super high mileage 84 Chevette! Seriously, I think he bought this stuff by the case because he had to add a quart or two every day before he left for work. My mom started making him park on the street and I'm suprised grass grew back in that spot. He probably still has some on a shelf somewhere. This was considered a good, cheap mainstream oil that was of course, better than that waxy Pennzoil. j/k but that was "common knowledge"

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Knowing today`s corporate world mentality, it probably would cost too much money to produce.
smirk.gif

True and it would also seem the round plastic bottles were to make the transition "marketable" as the containers changed from cans to bottles (now I do feel old as I have used cans before). Round bottles (and cans) take up too much space and are not effective to box, which is why I suppose the bottles are flat today.
Anyone remember how much space a case of these would take up on the shelf? A "barn sized" shed was needed
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114

smirk.gif

I worked at a plastics blow molding plant. There are probably patents for that type of vent - no one else can use a similar type.. Plus, it is useless.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Send some of the oil out for a VOA.
That old oil bottle is a little bit like a time capsule for us BITOG'ers.

I second the motion.
thumbsup2.gif
Seeing as I was 9, I might have seen a commercial for it in between episodes of Pee-Wee's Playhouse.
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back