Anyone Use Sizzle Platters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my friends was the Executive Chef for the company we both worked for. I learned quite a bit from him about cooking and when we took a deal and moved on, he gave me a bunch of stuff from his kitchen including these aluminum sizzle platters. I had seen him use these daily. He would first put chicken, beef, pork or fish, whichever he was preparing that day and sear both sides on the grill. Then it went on to one of these platters and into the oven at a lower temp to finish cooking.
I first used one with chicken on the grill and it was the best chicken I ever made. Burgers took a little more practice but I got them down too. Best part is even when they're cooked medium, they're still very juicy.
I'm amazed these aren't more popular. I just found an older one on Ebay with a Bakelite carrier so it can be put on the table.

If you're ever in NJ, stop at Steve's Sizzling Steaks, on rte 17 in Wood Ridge. Very short drive, just a few miles through the Lincoln Tunnel. They use those plates and serve excellent steaks on them.

Gotta chime in on "Steve's Sizzling Steaks".

It's Rt. 17 southbound in sight of MetLife Stadium (Jets-Giants)

People love the joint. When the original owner died I went to the "house contents" sale.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
One of my friends was the Executive Chef for the company we both worked for. I learned quite a bit from him about cooking and when we took a deal and moved on, he gave me a bunch of stuff from his kitchen including these aluminum sizzle platters. I had seen him use these daily. He would first put chicken, beef, pork or fish, whichever he was preparing that day and sear both sides on the grill. Then it went on to one of these platters and into the oven at a lower temp to finish cooking.
I first used one with chicken on the grill and it was the best chicken I ever made. Burgers took a little more practice but I got them down too. Best part is even when they're cooked medium, they're still very juicy.
I'm amazed these aren't more popular. I just found an older one on Ebay with a Bakelite carrier so it can be put on the table.

I'm not sure of their utility in the typical home kitchen. You can do they same thing with pans you already have.

I was never impressed at all with Steves! Wayyyy too salty and fatty, maybe I got a bad cut. My shop is 5 minutes from there.

My parents have 2 like the ones in the pic below. They have owned/used them for over 40+ years to broil steaks in the oven.

il_794xN.1378005403_bh2b.jpg

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by NYEngineer

I'm not sure of their utility in the typical home kitchen. You can do they same thing with pans you already have.

True, but when I'm cooking on the grill, the oval shape of these platters fits better than round frying pans. I can fit three in my grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back