Anyone use a particle magnet on oil pan?

SMALL POINT:
alarmguy said above, "Does it matter? Not any more then what type of oil brand you use."

I gotta disagree because a magnet catching additional ferrous metal is one thing and variations in oil formulae is another.
Proper oil is a good thing. Using any mechanism to catch any dirt / contaminate is a good thing too.
Yeah, but will it make any tangible difference to your engine?

Since when does half of what anything anyone does actually make a "tangible" difference? 😄

Since when does half of what anything anyone does actually make a "tangible" difference? 😄

99% will never know because they don’t have proof that their actions actually made any difference. But if it makes them feel better then by all means do it.

While he has the magnets he should attach two of them to the gas line on the fuel system. Place them on opposite sides of the line. A lot of people back in the 70’s swore that their fuel economy improved. 🤔🧐

99% will never know because they don’t have proof that their actions actually made any difference. But if it makes them feel better then by all means do it.
Yeah, but based on what I've seen caught on the many good magnetic drain plugs I've ran on various vehicles over the years, I'll continue to use them. As they say, "cleaner oil is always better than dirtier oil", regardless of any self proof. There are dozens if studies however that always come to that conclusion, which is good enough for me. :)

My vehicles all have metal oil pans and use metal oil filters.

Next question, WHERE on the oil filter would you place the magnet. My working understanding of oil filters is limited, so would the magnet go on the end, on the side, near the front or back, or does it matter?
If I used a magnet on a filter I would put it in the lowest point of the filter so any settling particles would drift down to the magnetized area.

SMALL POINT:
alarmguy said above, "Does it matter? Not any more then what type of oil brand you use."

I gotta disagree because a magnet catching additional ferrous metal is one thing and variations in oil formulae is another.
Proper oil is a good thing. Using any mechanism to catch any dirt / contaminate is a good thing too.
Ahhh... but you do understand and I see you even say it. A magnet catches additional ferrous metal. Something you can actually see and prove.
Whether this matters to someone, to me, matters more then oil brand.

You can not "see" or prove a difference in oil brands of the same API rating yet can see and prove the metal that the magnet takes out of the oil.
.... and once again, there is only a one time cost to a magnet.

Yeah, but will it make any tangible difference to your engine?

Like the debate about bypass filtering being a benefit to the engine or to the oil, magnets can result in a measurable difference in the cleanliness of the oil - this may or may not translate to to difference to the engine over time.

Studies done by Filtermag indicate the use of the device can drop a particle count between 1 and 3 iso codes, and lubrication experts like Jim and Barton Fitch at Noria have extensive experience with the benefits of magnetic separators and suggest using them when possible.

There are a host of benefits to use ranging from diagnostic to extending filter and oil life, or being able to extend the life of lesser oil.

Take a look at this very well thought out chart of possible benefits and compare with what you may have heard from a detractor.

articles_200911_As_I_See_it_Magnetic_Chart_Large.jpg

Back