Anyone use a particle magnet on oil pan?

Don't use a magnetic drain plug unless you know it is of very good quality, because I still have half of a magnetic drain plug in the sump lol, it cracked in the thread taking it out on a change. I have a inch and a half round temp resistant magnet on the oil filter now, it seems to do a good job when I open up the filter.

Also, on my car the ZF transmission has 2 large magnets in the pan which you can remove and clean when you do a drop pan fluid change.

Are you talking about an engine or a transmission? ... your original post eluded to an oil pan on an engine. Gears in a car engine ... no, in a motorcycle, yes.

If you have big chucks or shavings of metal falling into the engine oil pan, you have some serious issues. A good magnetic drain plug will capture large particles like those. Apparently you have never seen photos of cut open oil filters that had a FilterMag on them.
This is the PCMO forum so it should be about motor oil unless it’s posted in the wrong section.

Use a magnet on the filter or a magnetic drain plug. I use the plugs.

I would not use a magnet on the oil pan or any other place that cant be wiped clean. Removing the magnet from the pan will not allow all the particles to flow out of the oil pan, they will be stuck there on the inside of the pan because the pan itself will become slightly magnetized.

Anyway, when I use magnetic plugs I use the Gold Plug brand, incredibly powerful.

I used a magnetic drain plug on a car I once had. It would collect very fine metal particles that I'd wipe clean on each oil / filter change.

Use a magnet on the filter or a magnetic drain plug. I use the plugs.

I would not use a magnet on the oil pan or any other place that cant be wiped clean. Removing the magnet from the pan will not allow all the particles to flow out of the oil pan, they will be stuck there on the inside of the pan because the pan itself will become slightly magnetized.

Anyway, when I use magnetic plugs I use the Gold Plug brand, incredibly powerful.
Learn something new everyday...going to buy one of these on Amazon.

I've got some heavy duty circular magnets, 1" thick, maybe size of a baseball. I was thinking to mount one on the exterior of my oil pan, on the side to avoid having it knocked off. It is very strong and would stay on. My theory is, much like these magnets inside transmission pans, it may do well at grabbing metal particles. I can remove the magnet before draining the oil. Theory is to grab more particles.

Anyone do this, thoughts on it?
Doesn't an oil fiter take care of these particles?

Doesn't an oil fiter take care of these particles?
Yes
Unless your one looking to get down to the lowest microns of iron, some buy well made more expensive oils filters which still can not filter that low for magnetic particles anyway.
A powerful magnetic oil plug simply takes it a step further and will filter out magnetic particles to the lowest possible micron of which filters cant.
Does it matter? Not any more then what type of oil brand you use. A magnet is a second oil filter able to catch some particles that a regular oil filter can not. This is evidenced by the metal dust stuck on the magnet when you change your oil. Whats more, it only cost you one time purchase and wipe down when changing oil.

I use Gold Plug for oil pan and Filter Mag on oil filter. Usually get a little paste. Particles remain on oil filter after removing magnet and cutting filter open.

I believe that changing oil at correct intervals is paramount. But, we already I know that.

Anyone use a powerful magnet on the oil filter itself?
Yes I use rare earth (neodymium) coin-shaped magnets on the oil filter canister. I used a magnetic drain plug before this and the plug always had a little ball of ferrous goop on the tip. Immediately when I started putting magnets on the oil filter, the ferrous goop disappeared from the magnetic drain plug. To me, this is evidence the filter magnets work, they are trapping the ferrous dust inside the oil filter canister. I don't know if the filter would have caught this super fine stuff, but it is probably keeping the filter media cleaner for longer periods. I still use the magnetic drain plug because I have it anyway LOL. There's no need to spend extra money for a specialized filter magnet unless you really want to... just get some good strong magnets wherever you can find them and stick them on the metal canister, transfer to new filter when doing service. Some people pull the magnets out of old disc drives which are pretty strong too.

Okay, so tonight instead of throwing out a few junk broken non-working car CD players, I tore them open to harvest the powerful little magnets inside. Each as 2 magnets about the size of a tic-tac but quite potent.

I'm thinking of putting one on each of my oil filters. Anyone think this is a useful exercise or a total waste of time?

Plastic oil pans and plastic filter cartridge's have rendered you old timer's obsolete. Take your magnet's and go home.

My vehicles all have metal oil pans and use metal oil filters.

Next question, WHERE on the oil filter would you place the magnet. My working understanding of oil filters is limited, so would the magnet go on the end, on the side, near the front or back, or does it matter?

When do you take the oil pan off to clean what the magnet catches? Don't assume all will just drain out after magnet removal.

My recommendation is to stick with filter and drain plug magnets.

Okay, so tonight instead of throwing out a few junk broken non-working car CD players, I tore them open to harvest the powerful little magnets inside. Each as 2 magnets about the size of a tic-tac but quite potent.

I'm thinking of putting one on each of my oil filters. Anyone think this is a useful exercise or a total waste of time?
Too small to do much ... but you'll probably see a little something caught by them.

This is what a large strong magnet can catch.

SMALL POINT:
alarmguy said above, "Does it matter? Not any more then what type of oil brand you use."

I gotta disagree because a magnet catching additional ferrous metal is one thing and variations in oil formulae is another.
Proper oil is a good thing. Using any mechanism to catch any dirt / contaminate is a good thing too.

Back