Anyone tried the Berrans or STP intake valve cleaners?

The ones that hang on the hood and slowly spray into the combustion chamber as you hold the throttle at 25k rpm

I have a Volvo gdi with 85k miles and thinking of doing this procedure.

Pro Series Car Intake Valve Cleaner, Car Cleaner Avoids Engine Teardown and Improves Engine Performance for Cars, Truck, Motorcycle - 20 Oz, STP https://a.co/d/biZ99ux

I asked about intake cleaners on a VW forum and the only response which sounded at all sage recommended against them.
"I don't want to send carbon chunks into the cylinders of a running engine", was his point.
He suggested walnut blasting was the proper thing to do, as did a VW salesman.

However, here a few people have mentioned improved performance after using them.
Interestingly enough, the posters here said their engines ran so badly immediately after this solvent ingestion, that they thought they'd damaged their motors. Their engines cleared out in a manner which suggested the coughing and sputtering was normal.

Personally, I think they are probably best when used early and yearly for prevention.

I do it yearly on our vehicles, started when they had well under 10K on them.

I'm suspicious of cleaners that spray through quickly. This one takes 9 minutes. The Amazon reviews look generally positive. Do you get your $70 worth of cleaning?

Personally I like Toyota's DI/PI system.

I asked about intake cleaners on a VW forum and the only response which sounded at all sage recommended against them.
"I don't want to send carbon chunks into the cylinders of a running engine", was his point.
He suggested walnut blasting was the proper thing to do, as did a VW salesman.

However, here a few people have mentioned improved performance after using them.
Interestingly enough, the posters here said their engines ran so badly immediately after this solvent ingestion, that they thought they'd damaged their motors. Their engines cleared out in a manner which suggested the coughing and sputtering was normal.
Yeap, if you don't keep the rpms you can hydrolock it hence the sputtering.

I'm suspicious of cleaners that spray through quickly. This one takes 9 minutes. The Amazon reviews look generally positive. Do you get your $70 worth of cleaning?

Personally I like Toyota's DI/PI system.
They have them at AutoZone for $29 on sale. $39 regular price. The Amazon was just an example and it's horribly overpriced at that.

They sell a product which entices me to flirt with hydrolocking my effing engine?
What's the volume of that can.....12-14 ounces? Isn't it atomized (sprayed)?
Yes it's atomized the volume depends on which brand you get. The possibility of hydrolock is very small but then again you have liquid being dumped into the combustion chamber but as long as you use the supplied lines (which have flow limiters) then you should be good.

I just don't know if Berryman's or STP actually uses PEA since that would make a difference.

I just picked up the CRC GDI IVD cleaner with 300038384% more PEA and the can fits perfectly to the Berryman's Fuel Line cleaner assembly that I had laying around when I used that spray (didn't notice a difference). I will attempt the fuel line clean with the GDI cleaner. The Berryman's assembly has a flow limiters so let's hope it works. Wish me luck.

Sure, god luck!
I want to rig a spray delivery of intake / cylinder product and administer it in 5 seconds ON - 10 seconds OFF doses while driving on an open highway.

I just picked up the CRC GDI IVD cleaner with 300038384% more PEA and the can fits perfectly to the Berryman's Fuel Line cleaner assembly that I had laying around when I used that spray (didn't notice a difference). I will attempt the fuel line clean with the GDI cleaner. The Berryman's assembly has a flow limiters so let's hope it works. Wish me luck.

Exactly what I'm hoping to do as well. Keep us posted as to how it works.

I used the STP IV cleaner on my GDI Focus and it worked really well as felt by smoothness and and a more free revving engine. I paid $30 for it a few years ago but it's gotten much more expensive (like everything else in the past 2 years). If I could get it for $30 I'd use it again....otherwise I'll stick with the Seafoam, Berryman or CRC version...or maybe my own concoction.

Exactly what I'm hoping to do as well. Keep us posted as to how it works.
Just did it this weekend. It popped a check engine light at the end. It was a MAF sensor even though the line was plugged after the maf. No biggie just ran a reset with a scan tool and it was good to go.

I took it for a spirit drive on 99 going 75 in 3rd gear or about 6k rpm then near the end I performed an acceleration and deceleration cycles I e. 2.5k rpm to 6k rpm and back down.

Then I went to change the oil.

I honestly dont know if it did anything. But the CRC GDI cleaner worked perfectly in the Barryman's assembly and the engine didn't even choke when it was spraying. I used the 4 cylinder flow restrictor. The whole CRC can emptied in about 11 minutes.

Back