Anyone still using RLI?? Updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've ALWAYS been curious about this oil, as it seems to be innovative. Anyone using it? Input/comments/observations?

Renewable Lubricants, Inc. High quality synthetics made from renewable resources by very nice people in Ohio. :]

Still using the RLI 5W-30 in my Saturn SL-2, about 10K miles on the OCI (but I had to top-off with a quart of M1 5W-30 in northern Michigan). A couple of UOAs in that section.

I am using their ATF & 5W30 in my '02 Accord. No UOAs on the oil yet as I just recently changed to it. I have also used their fuel treatment in the past.

Still using it in the fleet at work. Much longer drains with equal or lower wear. Fuel dilute problems not causing nearly as much trouble.

So, do you think that the BITOG community is ignorant of the fact that you expect us to believe your claim without providing before, and after UOA's of your fleet so that we may judge for ourselves? Or do you think that the BITOG community is assuming you're ignorant of the fact that we won't ask?

I'm sorry to see you feeling to stung, jmsbntz. :)

I've neither the need nor the desire to input that level of detail here. If your signature line is up-to-date, you could probably make a comment that's on-point here.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
...I've neither the need nor the desire to input that level of detail here....

I'm using RLI. When I get an analysis done, I will be posting the results.
That's what "we" do here...

...FWIW, we're seeing similar trends re: Fe wear in fuel diluters in our fleet so far when using BioSyn vs. 'conventional' fluids. Even with double the mileage on the oil, we'll get as little as half the Fe wear (even with noticeably higher fuel dilution). Our fleet is a somewhat mixed fleet of (mainly) pickups which tow heavy and hard from essentially cold start, and they often see short trips under these circumstances. We're VERY happy with the results so far.

This is exactly the kind of information I'd like to see.

I post personal UOAs using whatever I've run, including RLI.

I just don't take the time and effort to post the dozens from work in detail. At some point, I may take some averages or something and put them up. I haven't wanted to do even that until we had at least a year to run the fluids. We're there and beyond, but frankly I don't have the time to digest that stuff now. The fleet guys haven't been on top of things like I'd like, so I have to do it myself if I want it done. Perhaps some time this winter.

I didn't know posting on this website meant you had to spend money and take time to satisfy others curiosity.

I only have one RLI UOA, so it amounts only to a single snapshot of engine condition at the time. Without UOA trending it is meaningless to me for determining wear trends. The same would apply for your fleet avg (too many variables). That is why I thought that if you have multiple before and after RLI UOA data to share, it would have been interesting to see the trends on one or two vehicles.

Our fleet manager (who oversees several garages) only let my garage supervisor pick two trucks (from over two hundred) to run 3 consecutive UOA samples on when we changed to a new oil (due to the UOA cost). They never even did any UOA sampling on the previous oil to see how well it was working before changing brands!
21.gif

Originally Posted By: jmsbntz
First UOA for this car. I purchased it with 183,000 and change on it, with no maintenance records. 192,521 vehicle miles. No fuel or oil additives. Shell 87 octane gas. O'Reilly MicroGard air and oil filter. TBN depleted due to cleaning from first use of RLI? Previous OCI was Pennzoil High Mileage 10w-30 with RLI BioPlus fuel additive.

Three stop signs, two traffic lights during 40 mile drive to work during the week and 300 mile plus weekend trips.

rli0w20qc0.jpg

Originally Posted By: DmanWho
This is exactly the kind of information I'd like to see.

Here's a little info for you, DmanWho (sorry about the formatting):

Chevy 8.1-liter gas engine (water tanker truck). RLI vs. Jiffy Lube 5W30s. Truck has ~20k miles on it:

Miles Fe Cu Sn Pb Cr Ni Al
6411 (RLI) 28 4 0 31 1 2 11
3428 (JL) 28 5 0 30 1 3 5

Ford F-250 5.4-liter gas engine. RLI 0W20 vs. Jiffy Lube 5W20. Lots of short-trip, heavy towing. Truck has ~81,000 on it:

9808 (RLI) 36 26 0 1 3 2 7
2430 (JL) 25 19 0 0 2 1 6

Ford Explorer 4-liter gas engine. RLI 0W20 vs. Jiffy Lube 5W20. Pool vehicle, lots of short trips. ~120,000 miles on it:

6247 (RLI) 25 17 0 0 1 1 8
1510 (JL) 11 7 0 0 1 1 5

We have several examples of these engines in the fleet, and unless something is amok with one of them at some point, these numbers are quite representative. All taken the same time of year (fall at or near the end of our really heavy-use season), and all have had multiple samples taken.

...Ford Explorer 4-liter gas engine. RLI 0W20 vs. Jiffy Lube 5W20. Pool vehicle, lots of short trips. ~120,000 miles on it:

6247 (RLI) 25 17 0 0 1 1 8
1510 (JL) 11 7 0 0 1 1 5

This current extended run I'm on with RLI 5w-30, combined with predominantly short-trip diving, has really got me sweating.
I do appreciate this analysis info, although it doesn't help with alleviating my night terrors.
grin2.gif
-Thank You.

Bulwinkl - Thanks for providing that. Just out of curiosity, why would you be running 5w20s in these rather heavier-duty applications? And why a DINO 5w20 vs. a boutique 0w20?

Just curious...seems back-asswards :)

Nonetheless, RLI looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back