Anyone started hording due to low supply?

Obligatory:

hoarder-man.jpg

If I can't just go to the store and get the oil I need for an oil change, in any brand or whatever, we have much bigger things to worry about.
Consider that the most I've spent for any of my "stash" is ~$2/qt.

That includes the M1 5W-50, Rotella T6 0W-40, and Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30.

Also consider that my friends and family just bring their cars to me with a filter. So I'm saving us all money and time.

So I don't buy it just to have it, I buy it when it is cheap to save money.

Only a few things I have stocked up on as in enough for 3-6 months of regularly used items. Most of that is meds for allergies, that sort of thing. Other item of most importance to me is green coffee as I home roast and buying at preset prices in bulk saves money on the coffee as well as shipping. Due to lame pandemic/weather patterns affecting imported goods green coffee supplies have dwindled a bit. Still plenty available worldwide at fair prices, just getting it to the states seems quite the task these days. Pre-pandemic I would keep at least 15-20 lbs onhand and order as needed. Then once shipping issues/cost started taking a toll I now keep at least 40 lbs onhand and order larger amounts a bit more often. Green coffee can easily keep over 1 yr in a decent controlled environment, so I stock/rotate/roast as needed and save quite a bit along the way. For my ride I always keep at least ONE QUART for a bit of topping off between changes. I know that's pushing it, but trying to stay on track!

When I buy oil I buy enough for 2 years. Then I wait for my supply to get low and there's a reasonable sale on. Now that I have a Tesla, I'll just buy less.

If many people started hoarding (as the term is usually defined) there would be an artificial shortage.

When I buy oil I buy enough for 2 years. Then I wait for my supply to get low and there's a reasonable sale on. Now that I have a Tesla, I'll just buy less.

If many people started hoarding (as the term is usually defined) there would be an artificial shortage.
YUP

The subjective nature of preparedness and quantities of items makes this all interesting. Maybe if you have 1 years worth of oil you're prepared. But 50 years worth you're crazy. But where do you draw the line? Clearly different person to person.

I should have clarified a bit. I'm up to the most "stock" I've ever had at just over 40 quarts. Pretty small when we talk BITOG stash's but a lot for me.

Question for you... Is hoarding money hoarding?
If that question is for me then ill say: it depends.

Are you saving money so that you and yours are taken care of financially or are you Smaug, keeping ever more just to see the numbers grow higher? Do you lift others up with your wealth, or keep others down?

IMO there are no ethical billionaires.

The only thing I " hoard " is toilet paper and 9mm ammo . I'll never get caught short of either one ever again .

I never got a job from a poor person... And Jeff Bezos dropped a comfortable living in my bank account when I worked for Amazon.
Besides the point.

Would Bezos be a less or more successful businessman if he had half of his personal wealth?

Would he even notice?

I'm not going to tell anyone how to spend their money. But my individual ethics would not allow me to amass that sort of wealth. There's so much good that could be done. Instead it just sits and grows.

Back