Anyone started hording due to low supply?

I see hoarding has some negative connotations here. Here is what the dictionary says for hoard:

"to collect and often hide away a supply of"

A synonym of stockpile. So yes, we are all hoarding.

It all depends. A person who buys a extra couple of jugs of oil to tide them over in these times is a smart planner. The person who buys dozens of jugs of oil based on emotional decisions is definitely a hoarder.

I keep 2 to 4 jugs of 0w20 and 5w30. And a jug or 2 of 10w30. Used to keep 5w20, but none right now.
I service our cars and 4 friends and relatives vehicles.

Try to catch a sale.

It all depends. A person who buys a extra couple of jugs of oil to tide them over in these times is a smart planner. The person who buys dozens of jugs of oil based on emotional decisions is definitely a hoarder.
But hoarding isn't a negative thing. I think society has implied that by linking it with people that have homes filled with garbage.

It's simply collecting things. Based on the definition the only special part of hoarding is that it may be hidden as it is implied it has value.

Wal-Mart finally got my favorite canned chili back in stock. Even though it is now summer, I cleaned the store out (14 cans). The expiration date on the cans was 2024. It'll all be gone in a couple of months.

Does that count? LOL.

I keep enough on hand to change the oil once (only for the two most driven vehicles), never more. That way I can change oil at any time I decide to, without having to go get it first.... not due to any supply worries. All of the other vehicles can wait for me to go get it.

Unless its" life and limb "ABSOLUTELY NO!

This will take a moderate short supply to a crisis level.

To do so is extremely selfish.

Years ago, I did "steal" some packaged firewood from a closed filling station many miles from my house.
This was after an ice storm than knocked out power for a week. NO generator and none to be had. NO Heat running water or lights.

Funny thing, the proprietor showed up as I was loading the wood into my car. I told him sorry and presented him with an envelope with 50 dollars in it I had prepared ahead if time. This was a Life and Limb situation. We had started breaking up and burning wood furniture. He seeme dto understand and did not escalate the situation. I left with the wood.

Since WHEN has anyone not be able to buy a gallon of freakin' motor oil in the three to six month between oil changes?

Irrational fear. Weakness.

Get a grip.

It's one thing to hoard under normal supply and demand conditions. We don't have that today. In fact we are currently looking at the worst shortages and supply chain disruptions since the Second World War.

We've experienced shortages in everything. Motor oil, medicine, toilet paper, beef, baby formula, kitchen appliances, ammunition, even new automobiles. Waiting lists are everywhere. And what is available is priced to the Moon. It is making people weary and uneasy.

They are then stocking up, and this whole thing is becoming a big Catch 22. Now, you can blame it on politics, and a bad administration, Covid, or just general ineptness across the board. Or a combination of all of the above.

It really doesn't matter because it's REAL.... And it's most likely going to get a lot worse, before ANY of it gets any better. The end result is now you have people hoarding, stockpiling, or whatever you want to tag it with, who never did before.

It's basically a type of self defense mode, that in many cases can make people paranoid. A bit like thinking you're being followed, because you ARE.

Last edited:
But hoarding isn't a negative thing. I think society has implied that by linking it with people that have homes filled with garbage.

It's simply collecting things. Based on the definition the only special part of hoarding is that it may be hidden as it is implied it has value.
I prefer "stocking up" instead of hoarding... Seems a bit silly to me, that if you have a year+ worth of oil already, to buy more specifically when there is a brief local shortage?
If you really think there's a good chance there will be no oil available when you need it within the next couple years, probably motor oil isn't all that high on your list of activities to prepare for the "end of times"...

Unless its" life and limb "ABSOLUTELY NO!

This will take a moderate short supply to a crisis level.

To do so is extremely selfish.

Years ago, I did "steal" some packaged firewood from a closed filling station many miles from my house.
This was after an ice storm than knocked out power for a week. NO generator and none to be had. NO Heat running water or lights.

Funny thing, the proprietor showed up as I was loading the wood into my car. I told him sorry and presented him with an envelope with 50 dollars in it I had prepared ahead if time. This was a Life and Limb situation. We had started breaking up and burning wood furniture. He seeme dto understand and did not escalate the situation. I left with the wood.

Since WHEN has anyone not be able to buy a gallon of freakin' motor oil in the three to six month between oil changes?

Irrational fear. Weakness.

Get a grip.
Yep, it sounds like a few people are ready to start creating shortages, just with irrational buying... The reality is that if society starts trying to exchange even a small fraction of their paper wealth into bulk buying of real goods, there will be first a shortage goods, then crazy inflation as the prices rise to meet demand. Keep calm and carry on, maybe buy a fraction more of necessary product, but clearing out the shelves for a12 month supply of toilet paper is not really being a good citizen IMHO.

All of our vehicles are on a one-year change plan so I have at least a year for each vehicle. I did buy some extra when it went on sale but I'll just use it next year.
Grand Marquis - once a year. Was on track for a 10,000 mile change but with gas prices I've switched to the Nissan primarily

Sentra - 2.5 years old, only had the oil changed twice. Sitting at 9500 miles. I usually change in June, but I'm goin to run this one out to October before we put it up for the winter. Will probably be 6000 miles on this change.

F-350 .. That sees 2000 or 3000 miles per year. Last year was a light year for it so I may just leave it in there a bit longer. It leaks a lot of oil from the headgasket anyway.

Jeep ... Meh no idea on this one. It's just a trail toy at this point. I change the trans fluid more than the engine oil at this stage of the game.

Somebody mentioned a 10 year supply. It's not a negative thing until the car you bought it for is wrecked, or sold. OR-as happened on here people move and the moving company will not transport it. Then you have to give it away or sell it-a position you wouldn't otherwise be in if you didn't hoard. Keep a few oil changes on hand-sure. A ten year supply is a POTENTIAL problem.

I don't hoard oil.
If I did, I usually am too generous and give it away. Years ago I gave my nephew 25 quarts of ST oil that was in spec for his truck.

Later I learned he was asking around if I gave him crap. He never heard of ST...and he never got any more from me. Hoarding oil is a waste of time and $$$

Reactions: CKN
Wal-Mart finally got my favorite canned chili back in stock. Even though it is now summer, I cleaned the store out (14 cans). The expiration date on the cans was 2024. It'll all be gone in a couple of months.

Does that count? LOL.

I keep enough on hand to change the oil once (only for the two most driven vehicles), never more. That way I can change oil at any time I decide to, without having to go get it first.... not due to any supply worries. All of the other vehicles can wait for me to go get it.
Need to know the brand of chili..........Not hoarding oil here but what I have is several years old.

Nobody questions someone that collects coins or anything of perceived value. Oil doesn’t fall into that category. It is a fine line for sure.

I am always reminded of the Beanie Baby crazy way back when. I knew someone who went nuts on it, accumulating hundreds of those things. They were going to be worth real money in time according to him. He kept them in the basement all categorized.

Then the basement flooded.

I personally maintain about seven cars/ trucks. I change oil in them very frequently. I have NOT BOUGHT a quart of oil since before the pandemic.

Keeping a robust stock of a needed/ critical consumable is different than hoarding.

Back