anyone scared riding roller coasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont go to Disney and do tower of terror is my advice! Relax and embrace the drop
smile.gif

The only thing scary about roller coaster rides is that I will become violently ill during the ride.

Visit a clinic and ask if they can give you a benzodiazepine pill or two. Valium or Xanax are most common. I think ativan is less drowsy. Just ask a doctor. You won't care. They could throw you off a building and you wouldn't care.

I would not go on a roller coaster for 5 million dollars i really believe i would die from that... Don't laugh i am serious i am afraid of heights.. Its crazy but true i like being in control.. I will do over 100 mph on the turnpike and feel safe but that scares me

I hate roller coasters and will take a bullet to the head before I ever ride on one again.

In the words of Nancy Reagan: Just say no.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The greatest velocity is going to be in the last car, the least will be in the first car. So perversely those that hate them end up sitting in the last car and those that love them sit in the first one. The first car will be going slower going down and the last car will be at the faster speed going down.

http://jacobsphysics.blogspot.com/2011/01/do-you-go-faster-if-you-ride-in-back.html

"If the back car did go faster, then it would end up going through the cars in front of it. That doesn't happen."

Sorry, I meant of course when you go over that hill. All the cars are going the same speed, but the first car over the first hill will be at a slower speed at a certain point that the last car at the same point later on. Therefore the sensation of free fall will be worse in the last car than in the first car.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I do not like them, and have never been on one before, but I would like to conquer the fear, any tips? I usually have very high anxiety levels before getting on rides.

There are a couple options. I love them, so I could take your place and save you the anxiety. Or, I could use the [cruel but humorous] approach I used to use on my little brother at fairs. I'd tell him that the ride wasn't scary or fast at all, and he'd believe me, only to get off the thing freaked out and with motion sickness. Oh well, what are big brothers for?
wink.gif

Take your MP3 player. Cue up some really rocking music. Turn the volume up, plug in the earbuds and enjoy the ride. I'm not kidding. I'm an old phart and I did this a couple of years ago when I took my daughter to an amusement park and we hit all the wild and crazy roller coasters. I actually did enjoy the rides, well, most of them.

Sit in the middle. If you're in front you'll be hanging, facing down, waiting for the rest of the cars to get over the hump. In the rear, you get flung upwards. The rules of physics as you'd expect them apply best to the middle cars. Or choose a coaster that's just one car long... like a kiddie one but adult ones too. The screams will add camaraderie; everyone's sharing the experience.

The G-forces don't bug me. I could imagine being in a fighter jet and smoothly pulling G's. It's the rattly feeling of being on "hand-bent" rails and feeling every rivet through the undampened chassis. Something of a bone-shaker. They say wooden coasters are smoother, I just think they've got more termites.
laugh.gif

It's generally accepted design to have the coaster go through a couple small dips near the end which give the illusion you're going to bust your forehead on an overhead beam. Don't sweat it.

I wouldn't go on benzos for a coaster, and hope a doctor wouldn't prescribe them for funsies.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The greatest velocity is going to be in the last car, the least will be in the first car. So perversely those that hate them end up sitting in the last car and those that love them sit in the first one. The first car will be going slower going down and the last car will be at the faster speed going down.

While the terminology may not be accurate, the concept is dead-on. Of course, no one car of the train is ever traveling any faster or slower than any other car of the train. But the motions of the ride are absolutely "numbed" a little bit if you sit in the front. In the front car, you don't seem to pick up speed as fast when cresting a hill before a drop because you have to wait for at least half of the train to crest the hill before the whole lot starts to accelerate.

We were at Disneyworld a few months ago and my wife and I rode Big Thunder Mountain twice in a row. The line was short and we had a Fast Pass, so we stood in line for about 15 minutes for the first ride and Fast Passed the second ride. We rode near the back on the first run and happened to get the very first seat on the second run. Being in the first car was a real downer!

That said, I have no use for roller coasters that climb you half a mile into the air for an 80 degree first drop. I like fast coasters that switch you back and forth, like Big Thunder Mountain, but have no use for ones like the new one at Carowinds in Charlotte.

If you hate the ascent, ride a linear induction motor coaster first.

It'll rocket you right out of the station 0-70 in 3 seconds. No time for anxiety.

I've never been scared. When I was a kid, I didn't mind the long trips to Atlanta or Orlando because there were roller coasters at the end of it.

When I was little, it was terrifying from the sensation of being out of control. Also used to get this butterflies in the stomach sensation when I descended rapidly, though airplanes, elevators, and ferris wheels could trigger that.

It took some time to outgrow those, but while there's still that "what did I get into?" moment when looking down from the top of the Millenium Force at Cedar Point, it's such an adrenaline rush plunging down the hill.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
While the terminology may not be accurate, the concept is dead-on.

Properly, it's called jerk, the derivative of acceleration with respect to time.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
My rule is i only ride ones with a proper lap bar and something to hold on to, or a harness type. I will not ride any that only has a lap bar, i don't like feeling like im going to fall out during a drop. The diamondback at King's Island is like this and i refuse to ride that one again, i don't feel secure on that one at all.

Diamondback rules! Maybe I have just ridden it too much, but seems like they may have slowed it down slightly since it first opened. Maybe I'm just used to the speed that it feels that way, don't know. Nothing better than being on it at 12:45 am on a warm fall night during the Halloween Haunt weekends, most of the park has cleared out, no one in line, and you can ride it 5-6 times that last hour before they close.

Getting back to your point, my wife hates the restraint system on it too. She's super short so she rattles around in her seat and usually has one hand on the restraint, one grabbing onto my arm, eyes closed, legs clamped around the restraint bar, screaming the whole time. She wont even get on it unless she spends an hour or so in the Festhaus sipping a couple severely overpriced beers first. I'm always happy to oblige.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: horse123
Visit a clinic and ask if they can give you a benzodiazepine pill or two. Valium or Xanax are most common. I think ativan is less drowsy. Just ask a doctor. You won't care. They could throw you off a building and you wouldn't care.

What's the point of going on a roller coaster if you have to be drugged to ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back